Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Pumaspeed X-37 Hybrid Turbo Thread

My tuning is almost complete at this point. I gotta say, this X37 has made an incredible difference and I am extremely happy with my purchase. I am not posting vdynos or anything yet, but we are talking about about a 40-50% power increase from 5K up vs the Cobb OTS 3 map. Even in the lower RPM's there is a signifcant power boost that is very, very noticeable. This is with 98F ambient temperatures during the tuning process, which is pretty brutal. (the Depo IC has performed remarkably well, I must say. Haven't gone over 105 charge temp)

I also have, by the standards of this forum, minimal modifications done to my car and I'm still getting an incredible performance boost. My previous car was an LS1 Camaro manual transmission with full bolt-ons and an e-tune, and I think this little Fiesta might actually be faster. It's hard to tell exactly, because it doesn't have the primal V8 roar that my Camaro did, but I go WOT and then next thing I know I'm approaching 90 and going oh shit! 2nd gear now feels like a literal rocketship (if I hook up), and 3rd gear just pulls without hesitation all the way up to redline in the blink of an eye.

I also want to point out that the easy daily drivability of the vehicle has not been sacrificed. The feel of the car, in regards to throttle response and that instant spool of the original turbo, it feels almost like it did stock. Which is what I wanted, I did not want to sacrifice that by going to a "big turbo".

Very satisfied customer here.

I have mine on order. Im cobb Stage 3 with a DHM crash bar & Intercooler. I'm going to be seeing what she'll do on 93. Very excited for this turbo. Seems to be the best well rounded turbo of all, for an extremely good price.
Once the tune is settled Ill be taking it out to my local autocross group and see how she does!

Rhinopolis

Take Vdyno for what you will, and I datalogged this past Saturday morning 7:30 am (3rd gear pull and pre X37 w/stock DP) and when outside temps were at 87F. Three pulls and my best one yielded 210 peak whp (on E30) at around 4900 rpms.

On the "base" X37 E30 tune file (limited boost) and at 80F and 5am this morning, same stretch of road (3rd gear pull), my best of three pulls yielded 257 peak whp at 6k rpms.

I will upload the updated tune file from this mornings log this evening, and I will datalog tomorrow at 5am again and check Vdyno afterward to see what the added anticipated boost/timing will make happen.

Here's to good traction and no speed traps [rockon]

OP
M
Thread Starter #167
Damn, that's strong as hell for only 22psi. Can't wait to see what it does on 26+.

Rhinopolis

Me neither! It's Vdyno, and mainly I share the number as a good baseline for comparing the difference from where I was on Saturday and where I am right now. 47 whp with top end power is worth the $$$ and time for certain!

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
My tuning is almost complete at this point. I gotta say, this X37 has made an incredible difference and I am extremely happy with my purchase. I am not posting vdynos or anything yet, but we are talking about about a 40-50% power increase from 5K up vs the Cobb OTS 3 map. Even in the lower RPM's there is a signifcant power boost that is very, very noticeable. This is with 98F ambient temperatures during the tuning process, which is pretty brutal. (the Depo IC has performed remarkably well, I must say. Haven't gone over 105 charge temp)

I also have, by the standards of this forum, minimal modifications done to my car and I'm still getting an incredible performance boost. My previous car was an LS1 Camaro manual transmission with full bolt-ons and an e-tune, and I think this little Fiesta might actually be faster. It's hard to tell exactly, because it doesn't have the primal V8 roar that my Camaro did, but I go WOT and then next thing I know I'm approaching 90 and going oh shit! 2nd gear now feels like a literal rocketship (if I hook up), and 3rd gear just pulls without hesitation all the way up to redline in the blink of an eye.

I also want to point out that the easy daily drivability of the vehicle has not been sacrificed. The feel of the car, in regards to throttle response and that instant spool of the original turbo, it feels almost like it did stock. Which is what I wanted, I did not want to sacrifice that by going to a "big turbo".

Very satisfied customer here.
I'm in Orlando as well. Maybe we could meet up one of these days. I will be upgrading as well. This way I can see what I'm missing. I live in the hunters Creek area.

Rhinopolis

I'm hitting 25 psi now and 2cd gear feels like a longer geared version of what 1st gear used to feel like pre X37. What I'm trying to say is that my front 215/40/17's on 7.5 wheels aren't trq steering, but they are fighting for traction while WOT and noticeably losing that battle...lol.

I'm not exaggerating or being dramatic, and this makes my FiST everything that I have wanted for it to behave like. Hands down, this is what this car is supposed to feel like. Although I don't pretend to speak for everyone, for me and for how I have my car set up (lightness, stiffer chassis bracing, coilovers, engine bracing, and now POWA), the X37 on the FiST is a BAMF.

I got on to the highway and played with the new power band. 3rd gear and near 4500 rpms at 60 mph, stomp the throttle and it feels like 3rd gear is wrestling for traction above 5500 rpms. Stomp on the gas in 4th gear at 80 and I'm one hidden State Trooper away from a bad day.

Apparently there's still room for more as I am only on the 2cd adjustment, and I will datalog for an updated tune file tomorrow am plus Vdyno off of that log.

OP
M
Thread Starter #172
That's awesome and I totally agree with the way you've described how this transforms the FiST and takes it to another level.

I'm glad this thread is getting the amount of exposure that it's been receiving, and I hope it helps others in their decision making.

You're probably going to see some more boost and timing if you're only on the second E30 revision. I'm curious to see how my traction situation is once I get my 16x8 Slipstreams in with some 225/45/16 ZII Star Specs.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
I'm hitting 25 psi now and 2cd gear feels like a longer geared version of what 1st gear used to feel like pre X37. What I'm trying to say is that my front 215/40/17's on 7.5 wheels aren't trq steering, but they are fighting for traction while WOT and noticeably losing that battle...lol.

I'm not exaggerating or being dramatic, and this makes my FiST everything that I have wanted for it to behave like. Hands down, this is what this car is supposed to feel like. Although I don't pretend to speak for everyone, for me and for how I have my car set up (lightness, stiffer chassis bracing, coilovers, engine bracing, and now POWA), the X37 on the FiST is a BAMF.

I got on to the highway and played with the new power band. 3rd gear and near 4500 rpms at 60 mph, stomp the throttle and it feels like 3rd gear is wrestling for traction above 5500 rpms. Stomp on the gas in 4th gear at 80 and I'm one hidden State Trooper away from a bad day.

Apparently there's still room for more as I am only on the 2cd adjustment, and I will datalog for an updated tune file tomorrow am plus Vdyno off of that log.
Go away, you're bad for my wallet!

Happy you're liking it, I'm stuck with 94octane from chevron here,hopefully it will will have some decent power

Rhinopolis

^ E30 isn't that dramatic of a difference maker, and isn't [MENTION=1858]johnnyaf87[/MENTION] running a pump gas tune in his X37?

^ E30 isn't that dramatic of a difference maker, and isn't [MENTION=1858]johnnyaf87[/MENTION] running a pump gas tune in his X37?
I have pump gas, pump gas with meth, and e30 with meth tune

Sent from my SM-G530P using Tapatalk

Rhinopolis

Version 2.0 of the X37 E30 with upgraded WGA and I am peaking at 25 psi.

Same stretch of long flat Houston TX roadway, 3rd gear pull, and 79F with Houston humidity.........

275 peak whp at a little passed 6k rpms

The tuning isn't finished and from my understanding of how to read a tune, everything looks beautiful and there's still room for more timing and boost....lol

What's most telling when comparing against MY BEST E30 PRE X37 VDYNO RECORDED EARLY MAY 2016.....,

That "freak" datalog was also in 3rd gear and @70F, and I hit 222 peak whp @ 4976 rpms.

The "magic" point on the graph no matter X37 or stock turbo, and when torque and horsepower both cross appears to be very near to 5300 rpms.

The difference in whp and trq comparing both E30 graphs (one stock turbo and the other X37) appears to be + 50 whp and lbs trq EASILY and if not more.

What's even more telling is that on the stock turbo and at this point on the graph at 5300 rpms, the trq curve just starts dropping. By 5700 rpms, trq is below 200 lbs and then it just falls harder from there. Whp stays relatively flat, and then noticeably begins to dip around 5800 rpms and never goes below 200 throughout my 6500 rpm pull.

On the X37 graph taken from this morning's log, trq stays strong, of course it starts to fall, but it doesn't "crash out" until after 6400 rpms.

Whp builds steadily until after 6k rpms, and then doesn't start crashing until after 6500 rpms. It's beautiful and a night and day top end difference that you can 100% feel. The butt dyno is in fact verified by a graph, and I'm loving it!

When ya getting your next batch?
I would get the order in as soon as you can, I sell multiples a week and it just pushes back the ETA for them to come in. I order 5 at a time because that is all we have for cores right now and they are all spoken. Current ETA is 2-3 weeks, because when 5 come in, 5 go out, and I have to wait for cores to come back before I can order more.

If you guys see stock turbo's for sale anywhere please let me know and I will buy them.

On your "Jon Premo" YouTube videos (specifically the one against the Roush 5.0), what fueling were you using?
He is not Jon Premo. Jon Premo is running E25.

Well today is the day for me, should have it in hand today and on the car tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

MS67

Thread Starter #180
Good luck! Take your time and triple check everything. I'd recommend having extra downpipe bolts on hand, as previously mentioned. Also not a bad idea to start the car and take it around the block once everything is fitted back together, before you reinstall the headlights/cowl etc.