Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune MP215 - "PremiumCare" friendly?

I have MP215 installed and from what I understand is that your only covered till the end of base warranty. After that my understanding is that if they can prove that the MP215 caused a major failure then essentially screwed out of your extended warranty. Don't think the extended warranty packages (which I bought as well) that Ford sells covers these non factory additions regardless of whether Ford approved it for the base warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input!

Its kind of a curious situation. The CPO-warranty is a 12k/1yr bumper-to-bumper that essentially 'extends' factory bumper-to-bumper after 36k/3years... (except that it does have a $100 deductible). Since it's equally backed by Ford, I have to ask, what really is the difference except that it's called something different?

And to that same note, any extended PremiumCare/ESP purchased at either original purchase or CPO purchase is just an extension of your warranty. This makes me scratch my head a bit because this is definitely not some third-party warranty... but I guess, ultimately, they can void any warranty claim 'just because they can'... if you are technically out of your factory 36k/3years bumper-to-bumper... -- am I getting this right?

I'm also curious about the factory 60k/5year powertrain warranty, because I see no mention of this on the Mountune website. If you have any powertrain issue (engine or transmission), wouldn't and shoudn't this be covered even if you have a MP215 up until the end of your factory 60k/5year powertrain warranty?

Based on some mixed statements I've heard and read (mostly people going "Uh... I dunno... maybe your extended warranty will be fine, may be not?)... I think I might just wait until the end of my powertrain 7year/100k warranty and then do a bigger turbo upgrade!
If you look on the FAQ page for the MP215 there is a PDF that details what "warranty friendly" means. Any damage caused by the MP215 kit will void your warranty claim. Basically if anything happens to the motor or transmission Ford is going to point at the MP215 and deny your claim.

I think this is what you're referring to "Installation of these select Ford Performance and mountune warranted performance packs and components by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by the use of Ford Performance or mountune parts remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

That's astonishing.

In that case, there is no benefit to paying more for Mountune parts and 'keeping your warranty' as they say. Are we being tricked? The whole idea of getting the MP215 instead of going a cheaper route like Cobb is because Ford has approved it as a Ford Racing component.

But in reality, you're saying (and supported by the fine print), that if my engine fails and I have the MP215, they'll deny the claim? Then what's the benefit to getting the MP215 in the first place? What good is the MP215 if I don't get to keep my drivetrain warranty?

If the argument is that Mountune won't void your entire warranty, I think that is a false claim, because nothing 'voids your entire warranty'. If any aftermarket item is found to have caused the damage, then the claim is denied. Your warranty remains intact.

Someone educate me about this confusion situation?
Don't think your too far off on this one.

I have MP215 and also bought the extended warranty 5years or 80,000km. Essentially they offer warranty to the base 3 year 60,000km/36,000miles because perhaps they don't figure any major failures will occur before the base warranty is up. However beyond the base warranty they probably consider the risk or failure rate to be too high to be included with the extended warranty. Doubt the extended warranty document says that it covers Ford Performance parts or 3rd party mountune parts.

For me it was having some assurance that I have some coverage should something go wrong and they can blame MP215. The other way I looked at it too was if Ford was ok with covering for the base warranty then hopefully during the extended warranty they wouldn't point the finger at the MP215 upgrade.

As for price, yes you pay a premium for mountune and this warranty protection, I'm sure they have a lot of red tape to get cleared with Ford for the warranty coverage. As performance compared to Cobb stage 1 I'm convinced MP215 is superior in producing more hp than Cobb stage 1, many others have said the same thing. Think Cobb stage 1 adds 2-3hp and about 25ft-lbs of torque.

According to the fine print, no warranty coverage (not even factory bumper-to-bumper or factory 5yr/60k powertrain) will cover any MP215 claim. So the whole 'approved by Ford' seems to be misleading. If something happens and they pin the problem on your MP215 (i.e. engine issues, transmission issue, etc.), they will say "Your Ford Performance parts/tune is the reason... and because of that we won't pay for the issue."

"Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by the use of Ford Performance or mountune parts remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

Took me a few times of reading that sentence to realize, Hey, they're ripping us off! It's a bit backwards in the fine print, but they're saying: if engine, driveline and suspension concerns are caused by use of a Ford Performance part (i.e. MP215 kit), then it is not eligible for warranty coverage.
Not too sure where you found this in one of their warranty documents, but the Ford Racing performance pack limited warranty says otherwise.
6-15-2016 4-46-13 PM.jpg
https://performanceparts.ford.com/warranty/include/pdf/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2015.pdf

Ok I found that sentence in the warranty doc I posted, yes it is a bit confusing to understand, but still think they will honor the warranty to the end of the base warranty. You just have to jump through all their hoops to qualify for this "Limited Warranty"

I was always curious of the mountune "warranty friendly" claims myself. It might not hurt to contact our local dealers and inquire. At least that way you can have the dealer on record and hold them accountable if they do infact say "yes it's covered".

What you highlighted refers to warranty of the "Performance Packs and Components" (I.e. your MP215 kit). It says this kit will be covered for the remaining of your 3year/36k. It says "...provides a limited warranty on select ford racing parts and mountune performance parts...", the warranty discussed in the portion the the document you showed is warranty for the Ford racing PRODUCT, not the warranty for the CAR.

Secondly, I see that it will not void your new car warranty. But this is true for ANY aftermarket Unit (i.e. If I buy a Cobb RMM, that won't void my new car warranty either). Only when the Cobb RMM is found to have cause a problem, then that claim gets denied and that particular problem will have to be fixed out of pocket. My warranty always stays intact.

This is also somewhat contradictory and misleading (to an extent), because the fine print I found (in that same document) says that any issue caused by the MP215 will not be covered under the vehicle's factory warranty (again, not the warranty for the mountune items, as designated by "performance packs and components"). They're saying -- Use the MP215 at your own risk.

Not sure if I'm making sense here... But from what I gather, it is very misleading and hard to understand exactly WHAT is covered and WHEN it is covered.
Not too sure if your over thinking this a bit, re-read the 3rd paragraph first sentence that is bold text. Basically I read it as will not void you new car warranty or CAR warranty as you said.

I read it, and I understand it. With all due respect, you're missing my point(s). The first sentence of the third paragraph is 'technically' true: the MP215 kit (and other Ford Racing) items will not void your new car warranty. But this does not mean you are COVERED in the event that product causes damage to engine or driveline. To make my point (again), I used a Cobb product as an example: If I buy a Cobb RMM, it won't void my new car warranty. If I buy a DHM FMIC, it won't void my warranty either. If I buy a tune from any company, it won't void my warranty.

But, when a problem arises with any of my aftermarket items... Let's say my engine overheated and caused some damage, they'll say "Your tune caused the engine to run harder (insert appropriate technical terms) and warmer. We're going to deny the claim. You have to fix it out of pocket"... therefore claim is denied, but the warranty always remains intact. If my windows fail the week afterwards, my new car warranty will still replace the motor motor under warranty...

Now, according to the fine print, which I will cite again for easy of reference:
"Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by the use of Ford Performance or mountune parts remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

This says, any Ford Performance or Mountune product that does cause an 'engine, driveline or suspension concern' will not be eligible for warranty coverage!

This means, when your MP215 causes some failure, you won't be covered, either! (Just like all other aftermarket products).

It is worth noting that I called Mountune and they could not give me zero answers. They asked me to refer directly to Ford Racing. This vagueness is... worrisome.
I respectfully have to disagree with you.

The way I understand this paragraph any concerns not caused by mountune or Ford racing parts still are warranty covered or essentially there saying stock parts.

Sorry again not too sure how you flip to the opposite to say mountune or Ford racing doesn't have a warranty.

I'm personally not worried about this as my dealer is very pro Ford racing and mountune.
I get that this was written by a lawyer but I don't see how they advertise the warranty claims but then say well actually your not covered, sorry just don't see it.

I am quite certain now that I am right. I called and spoke with two dealers. I will be visiting a third tomorrow (getting some warranty work done at this one), and will confirm with them as well. They confirm my suspicion that no aftermarket item voids your warranty (not Cobb, not Mountune, etc). Mountune is no more "warranty friendly" than Cobb. The thing that is different amount Mountune is that they will replace that item, if it is found defective, under their warranty for the remainder of your factory 3 year/36k. That's it. Mountune gives you a limited warranty on the product itself.

They also said: If an aftermarket item on your vehicle that did NOT come installed from the factory (even if it's Ford Racing or Mountune products) -- if these items are found to have caused a problem, then your factory warranty will not cover the damages. I re-emphasize, if your Ford Racing or Mountune products are found to have caused a problem, the damages will not be covered under your factory warranty. Instead, you need to look to Mountune to help resolve your issues (most likely, they would just replace your product... I doubt they would replace your engine or any severe warranty work if that were the case).

Here's the example they gave me: Let's say your Mountune intake causes a code related to O2 levels or some other sensors failing (or insert something perhaps more appropriate/realistic, just using intake as an arbitrary example), then Ford will not replace your intake or anything else that your intake has damaged due to normal use. The "warranty friendly" means that Mountune is responsible for replacing your intake and paying for whatever other damages have occurred for the remainder of your factory 3 year 36k. Not sure about you, but this isn't a situation I want to be in, because I've called Mountune and they gave me no comment. They told me to refer to Ford. Maybe they would replace the intake (because they would have to if it was a faulty product) but I am genuinely uncertain whether or not they will cover the bill from the rest of the hypothetical damage.

Hope this all makes sense. If someone knows better, and can cite something concrete (like, an email from someone high up on Ford Racing would help...) or a statement from someone at Mountune. Please do. I've been looking for answers and gather this much, but it hasn't exactly been transparent.
I will email the contact at Ford Racing that registered my mountune products as "warranty friendly" and will see what they say. Very curious about this too.

I am quite certain now that I am right. I called and spoke with two dealers. I will be visiting a third tomorrow (getting some warranty work done at this one), and will confirm with them as well. They confirm my suspicion that no aftermarket item voids your warranty (not Cobb, not Mountune, etc). Mountune is no more "warranty friendly" than Cobb. The thing that is different amount Mountune is that they will replace that item, if it is found defective, under their warranty for the remainder of your factory 3 year/36k. That's it. Mountune gives you a limited warranty on the product itself.

They also said: If an aftermarket item on your vehicle that did NOT come installed from the factory (even if it's Ford Racing or Mountune products) -- if these items are found to have caused a problem, then your factory warranty will not cover the damages. I re-emphasize, if your Ford Racing or Mountune products are found to have caused a problem, the damages will not be covered under your factory warranty. Instead, you need to look to Mountune to help resolve your issues (most likely, they would just replace your product... I doubt they would replace your engine or any severe warranty work if that were the case).

Here's the example they gave me: Let's say your Mountune intake causes a code related to O2 levels or some other sensors failing (or insert something perhaps more appropriate/realistic, just using intake as an arbitrary example), then Ford will not replace your intake or anything else that your intake has damaged due to normal use. The "warranty friendly" means that Mountune is responsible for replacing your intake and paying for whatever other damages have occurred for the remainder of your factory 3 year 36k. Not sure about you, but this isn't a situation I want to be in, because I've called Mountune and they gave me no comment. They told me to refer to Ford. Maybe they would replace the intake (because they would have to if it was a faulty product) but I am genuinely uncertain whether or not they will cover the bill from the rest of the hypothetical damage.

Hope this all makes sense. If someone knows better, and can cite something concrete (like, an email from someone high up on Ford Racing would help...) or a statement from someone at Mountune. Please do. I've been looking for answers and gather this much, but it hasn't exactly been transparent.
From my personal experience and in great lengths talking to my service manager at my Ford dealer he has told me that Cobb tunes, etc if something fails and they can prove back to tune then your warranty claim is denied. One example he gave me and they see this alot on diesel trucks with tunes and the truck comes in with axle issues, they prove that there's a tune and deny the claim. Problem with Cobb stage 1 tune is that they unlock all the torque in 1st and 2nd gears allowing for too much potential wheel spin and potential axle damage. Again if this is the case they will probably denied the warranty claim. At least with MP215 they unlock some but not all torque in 1st and 2nd. Yes mountune gives a 1year warranty on the parts alone, think they mention this on their website. As for saying that mountune has to remedy the issue just don't see that. Show me a document that says when you have a warranty issue you have to deal through mountune in terms of getting your car fixed. Why is it that when you have to register your install with Ford Racing to get your limited warranty. If mountune was paying for the repairs don't you think that you would have register the warranty with them? You talk about having to look to mountune to resolve your issues if there's a problem with mountune that caused a failure of sorts, never heard of anyone on these FiST forums that had to do that. As for mountune telling you to refer to Ford it's because they don't deal with base factory warranty claims.

Warranty issues aside the Cobb stage 1 tune is rather underwhelming, lots of punch on the bottom end, wheel spin but pretty tired on the top end. My friend the bought the Cobb stage 1 package and we drove each other's cars and even he admitted that the mountune mp215 seemed to be quicker overall.

Perhaps part of the problem is most Ford dealers know nothing about mountune and said warranty, I had to educate my dealer on everything. Seems the way Ford and mountune rolled this info out to the dealers was poorly done.

Like i said before I will email the warranty guy at Ford Racing, hopefully they can shed some further light on this.

My theory is and may I'm wrong but since Ford Racing and mountune have a partnership they are less likely to void your warranty.

I know during the MP215 development mountune had talked about working with Ford and the CARB certification required. They said when they got the CARB certification then the base warranty by Ford wouldn't be voided which makes mountune MP tunes and Cobb's tunes very different from that point of view. Unfortunately most of these posts from mountune where on a different FiST forum that mountune was a major sponsor but then the forum got bought out and mountune stopped being a sponsor and the mountune section was deleted, not too sure if any of those posts pre MP215 release are still on one of the FiST forums.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

With all due respect, you keep ignoring all the points I'm making.

Ford dealers have directly told me that ANY modification, be it Mountune or Cobb, will get a warranty claim denied if it is determined to be the cause of the issue in question (whatever you are trying to get warranty to cover. Ford SVT/Ford Racing has also told me this. Please call them directly, their phone number is (800) 367-3788. It doesn't matter that they're under the Ford umbrella, so to speak, they're saying anything that did not come on the vehicle from the Factory will not be protected. Aftermarket parts are 'at your own risk.'

Again, nothing will void your warranty! I keep saying this, and you aren't listening! If something happens, and you file a warranty claim, the claim can be approved or denied. That's it. Your warranty always stays intact.

I honestly don't have to show (or prove) anything to you. I'm telling you what my Ford dealers, Ford Racing, and Mountune are telling me. From my understanding (and research) there is zero benefit to going mountune to be "warranty friendly".

My dealer was familiar with Ford Racing. I live in a big city, which probably helps.

Mountune being 'different' than Cobb is a presumption you're making. Again, my Ford dealers have told me that there is no distinction. Any aftermarket part is still considered aftermarket, even if it comes from Ford Racing or Mountune.

Look, let's stop repeating the same things over and over. I refuse to live in ignorance of what's I'm paying for (i.e. Mountune MP215), but if you want to believe (without any proof) that Ford will cover your butt in the event of necessary warranty work to your engine or transmission, then that's your choice.
I guess we can agree to disagree, just trying to help. Go out and buy a Cobb sounds like will be right for you. To think that Cobb is warranty friendly is even more delusional than I thought. Again they have to prove that the tune caused the issue. The more I read the Ford Racing document the more I'm convinced Ford them selves will fix the issue. If any dealer denies a related claim of a mountune part it is because they probably don't know about the warranty document. You make claims but have no way of backing it up, you flip sentences in the warranty document that clearly doesn't state what your trying to say. I'm referred to the one sentence in the warranty that talks about if you have a concern that a non mountune or Ford Racing part didn't cause the issue then the base warranty is still intact. You somehow read that and say you mountune or Ford Racing has no warranty. Again I've never heard of one person with a warranty issue and mountune parts and these FiST and I've been a member of these forums since the FiST first came out.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk