Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ravenol MTF-2 fluid change

Based on most everyone’s positive experience and recommendation. I am going to change the OEM transmission fluid and replace with Ravenol. Just trying to decide between the MTF-2 or MTF-3 as to which is best for our cars and the area I am in which is New Jersey. I understand the only difference is the viscosity and doesn’t seem to be much of a difference. What are the benefits, pros and cons of having a thicker or thinner viscosity transmission fluid?

As always, thanks for everyone’s help, experience, input and insight

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Based on most everyone’s positive experience and recommendation. I am going to change the OEM transmission fluid and replace with Ravenol. Just trying to decide between the MTF-2 or MTF-3 as to which is best for our cars and the area I am in which is New Jersey. I understand the only difference is the viscosity and doesn’t seem to be much of a difference. What are the benefits, pros and cons of having a thicker or thinner viscosity transmission fluid?

As always, thanks for everyone’s help, experience, input and insight
Thinner is smoother in the cold. 75-80 vs. 80 isn't a big distinction, but if you live in NJ, it gets cold. I'd go with the 75-80.
If you live in Tucson, maybe not.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Can somebody explain to me why overfilling would be bad? Any car I've swapped gear oil on it's recommended to fill until it overflows, wipe, then plug.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Can somebody explain to me why overfilling would be bad? Any car I've swapped gear oil on it's recommended to fill until it overflows, wipe, then plug.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in another thread about the trans fluid system having a vent. Overfilling can lead to fluid entering the driver's footwell area.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
A pump isn't necessary, but you will need a long funnel with a relatively skinny tip, like the FloTool Transmission Funnel: https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/funnel/flotool-transmission-funnel/557785_0_0

When you drain it, I recommend leaving the fill plug closed until the very end; otherwise, the fluid will FLY out and will get all over the suspension (been there, done that)

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account

The tranny used in the FiST is the same as any other 6-speed tranny used with the 1.6.
But to make it fit, the FiST has a narrower case than Focuses, etc., that use that engine/tranny combo.
I think that's why nobody's sure exactly how much to put in.

When I put the Ravenol in, I put in just what I got out. 1.8 liters, or 1.9 quarts.
Never had an issue with the factory fill, which is more than what they were putting in earlier models.

A pump isn't necessary, but you will need a long funnel with a relatively skinny tip, like the FloTool Transmission Funnel: https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/funnel/flotool-transmission-funnel/557785_0_0

When you drain it, I recommend leaving the fill plug closed until the very end; otherwise, the fluid will FLY out and will get all over the suspension (been there, done that)
Awesome, thanks! Ordered the funnel and picking that up tomorrow and I'll have fluid here by the time I have a day off. 45k miles on what probably is original fluid.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I've used both Motul and OEM fluid time and time again. First time using this stuff and so far this seems to be the best, shifts are smooth but the biggest change is no more clank clank while banging gears. That noise would kill me!

Also I'm a firm believer in changing fluid in trans. Any fluid makes it feel good for a bit. But I have to say the OEM junk does not last as long before it feels like you need another change.

Hey all, I live in Canada and would really like to put Ravenol MTF-2 in since it's much colder here and motel 300 supposedly sucks in the cold. Only issue is there are no dealers for Ravenol in Canada and shipping from Ravenol in the states is $60... which is insane. Got any ideas how I could get some for a reasonable price??

Hey all, I live in Canada and would really like to put Ravenol MTF-2 in since it's much colder here and motel 300 supposedly sucks in the cold. Only issue is there are no dealers for Ravenol in Canada and shipping from Ravenol in the states is $60... which is insane. Got any ideas how I could get some for a reasonable price??
If you live near the border, find a forwarding business that can hold your order. Have your order shipped there then when border opens up (hopefully sooner than later, looking at you Pussy Trudeau), you just go grab your order. To make it worth my while, I usually wait till I have multiple orders or a big amount.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Even if you attempt to buy it from amazon (yeah, I KNOW it is still through Blauparts as the vendor), they shaft you on the shipping??

Even if you attempt to buy it from amazon (yeah, I KNOW it is still through Blauparts as the vendor), they shaft you on the shipping??
It shows unavailable for me through the amazon links people have posted. Otherwise I am guessing amazon's shipping to Canada would be much more reasonable.