Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

exhaust manifold loose/warped gasket

Installed my cobb cat back exhaust last week and was hearing a screeching noise under heavy acceleration checked everything for leaks and had none. I removed my manifold heat shield and found the bottom of the cylinder head black and the manifold stuts/nuts loose (hand tight) so I tightened them and it was still making the noise so I removed the manifold and found the gasket is warped and leaking. would loose bolts cause this? I ordered new studs nuts and gaskets was hoping that would fix it. car has only 20,000km and I have never had the manifold off before so it must have come from ford loose and slowly got worse with vibrations till it leaked and I noticed, just strange how I didn't hear it until I installed the cat back.

WIN_20160621_11_30_10_Pro.jpg WIN_20160621_11_30_00_Pro.jpg

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Installed my cobb cat back exhaust last week and was hearing a screeching noise under heavy acceleration checked everything for leaks and had none. I removed my manifold heat shield and found the bottom of the cylinder head black and the manifold stuts/nuts loose (hand tight) so I tightened them and it was still making the noise so I removed the manifold and found the gasket is warped and leaking. would loose bolts cause this? I ordered new studs nuts and gaskets was hoping that would fix it. car has only 20,000km and I have never had the manifold off before so it must have come from ford loose and slowly got worse with vibrations till it leaked and I noticed, just strange how I didn't hear it until I installed the cat back.

View attachment 10486 View attachment 10487
When I installed my Deadhook turbo kit I found my manifold I'm the same condition. Some of the bolts were hand tight and a few were mere threads away from falling off. Glad to hear I am not the only one to have this issue.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

OP
C
Thread Starter #4
Thats a 1st. Did you happen to buy the car used?
I bought the car brand new last July, I fixed the problem new gasket and studs no leak anymore car feels much better I wonder how many other manifolds are the same way since perfblue15 found his that way too.

me32

1000 Post Club
I bought the car brand new last July, I fixed the problem new gasket and studs no leak anymore car feels much better I wonder how many other manifolds are the same way since perfblue15 found his that way too.
Thats a good question. Seems like it wasnt tq properly at the factory

Running Cobb stg3 parts with MRX turbo. My gasket seems to be leaking as I now have a leak from the manifold. Could this be from boost pressure?