Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST recalls info thread

Just checked my coolant and it's below the min line, but then I haven't topped it off in 38,000 miles/since December 2013. Going to top it off now and take it in for the recall when I can. Wooooooo glad this hasn't happened to my car, I'd hate to be one of those 26.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Recall Date: MAR 27, 2017
Recall Title: COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR SYSTEM INSTALLATION
NHTSA Recall Number: 17S09
Ford Recall Number: 17S09
Recall Description: SUBJECT VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 1.6L GTDI ENGINES MAY EXPERIENCE UNDERHOOD FIRES DUE TO LOCALIZED OVERHEATING OF THE ENGINE CYLINDER HEAD, POTENTIALLY LEADING TO CRACKS AND RESULTING IN OIL LEAKS. FOR THIS TO OCCUR, THE VEHICLE MUST HAVE A COOLANT LOSS WELL BELOW THE MINIMUM LEVEL IN THE COOLANT BOTTLE AT THE TIME OF A COLD START OF THE VEHICLE. WHEN A COLD ENGINE IS STARTED WITH INSUFFICIENT COOLANT AND THE VEHICLE IS DRIVEN, THE CYLINDER HEAD UNDERGOES RAPID HEATING, WHICH CAN LEAD TO LOCALIZED OVERHEATING OF THE CYLINDER HEAD AND RESULTANT CRACKING. AS OF MARCH 17, 2017, FORD WAS AWARE OF 26 REPORTS OF UNDERHOOD FIRES WITH A CRACKED CYLINDER HEAD, INCLUDING LOCALIZED FIRES NEAR THE TURBOCHARGERS. FORD IS NOT AWARE OF ANY REPORTS OF ACCIDENT OR INJURY RELATED TO THIS CONDITION.
Risk to Safety: A CRACKED CYLINDER HEAD CAN RESULT IN A PRESSURIZED OIL LEAK. OIL THAT COMES INTO CONTACT WITH A HOT ENGINE SURFACE, INCREASES THE RISK OF AN UNDERHOOD FIRE.
Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE A COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR AND THE SUPPORTING HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE INSTALLED. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD PROVIDED THE GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PRIOR TO NOTIFICATION OF A SAFETY RECALL IN FEBRUARY 2017. THE ENDING DATE FOR REIMBURSEMENT ELIGIBILITY IS MAY 8, 2017. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE DEALER NOTIFICATION LETTER, TO THE AGENCY, WHEN AVAILABLE.
Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

As of 03/29/17
Thanks for the notice.

I just checked https://owner.ford.com/ for the 2016 vehicle and the only thing that came up was the cooling fan relay... which I did myself since I didn't want to fool around and waste two hours for a two-and-a-half minute part swap at the service center. Relay cost me $40 IIRC.

VIN:
FSA Title: HIGH SPEED COOLING FAN RELAY REPLACEMENT
Field Service Action Number: 16B11
Be advised that this system tracks Recalls and Customer Satisfaction Programs for which vehicles are subject to repair in the United States. The information provided is subject to change and update. There may be temporary delays in update of information on this site due to a number of factors. For the latest information regarding the status of your vehicle or any recall program of Ford Motor Company, please contact your local dealership directly or the Customer Relationship Center.

A recall is an action by the Company to remedy a safety concern related to a vehicle defect or regulatory requirement. It may require that you return your vehicle to the dealer for service. If your vehicle is not affected, it may be because it was built at a different time or using a different part than the affected vehicles.

Last edited:

Zormecteon

Mine made the list... BUT... I don't do any of my own work, and with regular servicing (twice a year) they have never marked "low coolant". Also, I have driven over the both the the Siskiyous and the Rockies in the summer time and never had the temp go over 197.... or did I make 208 on that later trip?... the ambient was in the 90's.. put simply, I don't overheat, but having the sensor installed will be a nice touch..... Thanx Ford.

Recall Description: SUBJECT VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 1.6L GTDI ENGINES MAY EXPERIENCE UNDERHOOD FIRES DUE TO LOCALIZED OVERHEATING OF THE ENGINE CYLINDER HEAD, POTENTIALLY LEADING TO CRACKS AND RESULTING IN OIL LEAKS. FOR THIS TO OCCUR, THE VEHICLE MUST HAVE A COOLANT LOSS WELL BELOW THE MINIMUM LEVEL IN THE COOLANT BOTTLE AT THE TIME OF A COLD START OF THE VEHICLE. WHEN A COLD ENGINE IS STARTED WITH INSUFFICIENT COOLANT AND THE VEHICLE IS DRIVEN, THE CYLINDER HEAD UNDERGOES RAPID HEATING, WHICH CAN LEAD TO LOCALIZED OVERHEATING OF THE CYLINDER HEAD AND RESULTANT CRACKING. AS OF MARCH 17, 2017, FORD WAS AWARE OF 26 REPORTS OF UNDERHOOD FIRES WITH A CRACKED CYLINDER HEAD, INCLUDING LOCALIZED FIRES NEAR THE TURBOCHARGERS. FORD IS NOT AWARE OF ANY REPORTS OF ACCIDENT OR INJURY RELATED TO THIS CONDITION.
Risk to Safety: A CRACKED CYLINDER HEAD CAN RESULT IN A PRESSURIZED OIL LEAK. OIL THAT COMES INTO CONTACT WITH A HOT ENGINE SURFACE, INCREASES THE RISK OF AN UNDERHOOD FIRE.
Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE A COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR AND THE SUPPORTING HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE INSTALLED. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD PROVIDED THE GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PRIOR TO NOTIFICATION OF A SAFETY RECALL IN FEBRUARY 2017. THE ENDING DATE FOR REIMBURSEMENT ELIGIBILITY IS MAY 8, 2017. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE DEALER NOTIFICATION LETTER, TO THE AGENCY, WHEN AVAILABLE.
Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

As of 03/29/17
apparently this bulletin is only for the 2012-2014 models

ROCKYFiestta

i got the bad one

Recall Description: ON YOUR VEHICLE, LOCALIZED OVERHEATING OF THE ENGINE CYLINDER HEAD MAY CAUSE THE CYLINDER HEAD TO CRACK.
Risk to Safety: A CYLINDER HEAD CRACK MAY CAUSE AN OIL LEAK THAT MAY RESULT IN A FIRE IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT.
Remedy Program: PARTS ARE NOW AVAILABLE TO REPAIR YOUR VEHICLE. FORD MOTOR COMPANY HAS AUTHORIZED YOUR DEALER TO INSTALL A COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR SYSTEM FREE OF CHARGE (PARTS AND LABOR).

ROCKYFiestta

do i have to pay if i am second owner or how does this go i honestly never did this to a prior vehicle i always blow em up for something.

jayrod1980

My 2016 has never had low coolant but it did have the worst radiator it seems of any car. I was always on the cusp of overheating in the summer. The Mountune radiator is a dream. Coolant and even oil temps are great now. 205 is the highest coolant temp Iā€™ve seen and it typically sits at 185 with full blast A/C. For whatever reason it runs cooler on average in the summer than the winter.

My wifeā€™s new F-150 3.5EB with max tow (ā€œupratedā€ radiator, trans and oil coolers) runs 10-20 degrees hotter. I have the stock t-stat as well.

my air con has stopped blowing cold air, but i am confident the ac is still blowing because it defrosts' the car when fogged up. it blows max heat on any temperature setting...so whats with it? relay? apparently the new larger relay wont fit in my 15' st so where to go from here???

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
my air con has stopped blowing cold air, but i am confident the ac is still blowing because it defrosts' the car when fogged up. it blows max heat on any temperature setting...so whats with it? relay? apparently the new larger relay wont fit in my 15' st so where to go from here???
You need a new blend door assembly. See here: https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/4424-Blend-Door-Actuator-Issue-Thread/page40

k thanks. cheers...to you for the advice, not to be construed with a cheers to ford for this wonderful "blend door assembly"

Just got the recall letter for the coolant level sensor for my '14 FiST. The car currently has 14k miles. Should I still take it in to get it serviced?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

NO! The dealers are clueless as to how to fix it, and you can't tune the car if you do. (OK you can, but you will lose the upgrade of the recall) Check your coolant level, or let the guys at the oil change place do it like they always have.

NO! The dealers are clueless as to how to fix it, and you can't tune the car if you do. (OK you can, but you will lose the upgrade of the recall) Check your coolant level, or let the guys at the oil change place do it like they always have.
Good point. I'm a mechanic, so should I maybe just get the part from them and change it myself?

You will still have to flash the ECM to get the new sensor to work. The Cobb tune simply turns off the newly added sensor, so you can have sensor or tune, but not both.

You will still have to flash the ECM to get the new sensor to work. The Cobb tune simply turns off the newly added sensor, so you can have sensor or tune, but not both.
Thanks for the help bro [emoji106]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Just got the recall letter for the coolant level sensor for my '14 FiST. The car currently has 14k miles. Should I still take it in to get it serviced?
I think it's way more than just the coolant level sensor. There's a thread here that details everything that is done. It's something worth considering.

In terms of service personnel screwing stuff up, that occurs even with oil changes and topping off coolant.

(mixing incompatible coolants)

dmb

I think it's way more than just the coolant level sensor. There's a thread here that details everything that is done. It's something worth considering.

In terms of service personnel screwing stuff up, that occurs even with oil changes and topping off coolant.

(mixing incompatible coolants)
how old is that picture? and what was in that tank? looks like radiator
/block seal to me

Last edited: