Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

INSTALL GUIDE: European headlight installation with LED headlight bulbs and LED running light wiring

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
I'm hopeful I can use my experiences to help others who wish to tackle this project too. This has been an ongoing learning experience so I will post my findings as I come across them.

fST

The only thing I have left to do is figure out how to aim these damn low beams. I'm not sure that any of the guys who've done this conversion haven't even tried to aim them before. I know chalituna said he never did.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
This is just my thoughts!

I would think you would have trouble with the LED replacement bulbs.
The Euro headlamp assemblies are adjustable by a small electric motor that we don't hook up (at least I didn't).
Because of this the bulbs are not fixed or locked into place.
I believe that the weight of the LED heat sink hanging that far back would cause the beams to be bounced out of adjustment frequently just from normal driving.

Again this is just a thought as I have never tried LED replacements.

In addition most LED headlamps project to the side and rely on the reflective surfaces of the headlamp assembly that are not used projector beam assemblies.

I use H7 Silver Stars and they are great in these Euro headlamps.

Dave

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
The H7 adapters are VERY secure in the housing and I haven't noticed them bouncing around abnormally, but I can report on this in a few days.

The bulbs themselves aren't incredibly heavy, I noticed the bulb clips that hold the H7 bulbs are very strong and retain them just fine.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So the retrofit boots are longer for the new headlights to fit with the ballasts? Where do you get the retro fit boots?

As I thought, your driver's side is way off to the right, and the passenger's side only slightly low.

Fiddle with the bulb seating on the housing, you may be able to wiggle it into the correct position. Otherwise I'm not sure, LED headlights are harder to work with since they only have two LEDs, it's really a game of chance if they line up correctly to get the full benefit of projector housings.

Worst case you can sell the 2Strokes and go with an H7 HID kit, they aren't always perfect either but at least you get the full 360* output from the bulb.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #32
Looks like I got it aligned properly on the drivers side. I know a few of you pointed it out and I noticed it too. The H7 adapter worked it's way out. The adapter for the LED bulbs is thicker than the base of a halogen bulb so I had to really work the clips on so that it was fully secure. I tugged on it after and the bulb isn't going anywhere now. I will check the passenger side when the new boots arrive since I'll probably need to take out the lights again to change them.

I will try to get output pics at night sometime soon. Also, for adjusting headlights I recommend this nifty little socket.

fST

Looks like I got it aligned properly on the drivers side. I know a few of you pointed it out and I noticed it too. t
The H7 adapter worked it's way out. The adapter for the LED bulbs is thicker than the base of a halogen bulb so I had to really work the clips on so that it was fully secure. I tugged on it after and the bulb isn't going anywhere now. I will check the passenger side when the new boots arrive since I'll probably need to take out the lights again to change them.

I will try to get output pics at night sometime soon. Also, for adjusting headlights I recommend this nifty little socket.

haha, that's exactly what I bought and used today. Home Depot. $1.97. Much easier to use that than a Phillip's Screwdriver.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
That's literally where I got mine from. So your passenger projector is broken? :(

fST

That's literally where I got mine from. So your passenger projector is broken? :(
Yep, the whole projector housing is out of place. That star bolt you mentioned earlier is what holds the projector housing in place. I can see how to fix it but I'm unable to maneuver the housing in a position to get that bolt to slide in where it needs to be to hold the projector housing in place. I just emailed FordPartsUK asking for replacements. I'd like the driver's side replaced, as well, since it has a screw stuck inside of it.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
Sorry to hear that. :(

Luckily these lights are quick and easy to remove, otherwise I'd be pissed. I heard FordPartsUK is really good at making things right so you should be ok.

Yep, the whole projector housing is out of place. That star bolt you mentioned earlier is what holds the projector housing in place. I can see how to fix it but I'm unable to maneuver the housing in a position to get that bolt to slide in where it needs to be to hold the projector housing in place. I just emailed FordPartsUK asking for replacements. I'd like the driver's side replaced, as well, since it has a screw stuck inside of it.
Do the headlight bowls mount to the housing the same as the stock halogens? I.E. a joint and socket type connection? Did the mounting points actually break, or did it just pop loose? It takes a bit of force but I bet you could pop it back on if it just came apart.

For a bit of reference, the two black circles are the sockets I'm talking about, the joint/ball is attached to the housing.

fST

Well, right after my last post, I kept trying. I was able to position them better and get it tightened up but the projector/halogen housing is still not in the exact spot it's supposed to be in, compared to the driver's side. I'm still trying to work it back in place. It's not broken, it looks like it just popped loose, out of place. But it's proving to be really hard to put it back into place.

With where I have it now, when I mounted the lights back on my car, they were pretty close to the same level. And I was finally able to adjust the level. So I'm close but still not there yet.

I'm glad to hear that FordPartsUK is known to make things right.

fST

Did you just email them at ford parts uk? I sent them an email parts request and haven't heard a reply for some time. How long did it take them to reply to you?
They replied to me the next morning but offthewall ended up waiting a while before getting a response.

Ford Community Posts