Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

A return to my youth!

Took delivery of my platinum white 2017 on New Year's Eve, and haven't stopped smiling since. I'm 67 and have been a sports car guy since I first got my license in 1966. First car was a 59 MGA, then a 68 TR4A IRS and I bought the first 1969 BMW 1600 to hit Southern California. From there, it was a 69 VW camper, two (!) Fiat 124 Spiders, a 78 Alfa Romeo Spider, an 82 Honda Accord (lusted after air conditioning after all those convertibles), an 86 Mazda 626 Turbo 5-door, a 94 Acura Integra and a 99 BMW Z3. Interspersed within was a MPV, Durango, Explorer and an Escape to facilitate kids hockey careers, camping outings and towing the Sea-Doo. After all these SUVs, I thought it was time to grab something fun to drive, while 6-speeds are still available. The ST is one amazing drive indeed! It really makes me feel like I did when I first drove the BMW back in 69. The wonderful balance and cornering, steering feel and instant response just bond you to the car. But the power... the Bimmer sure didn't have that. I'm really loving this ride and look for any excuse to run out and drive it. Here is the world's hedge against autonomous vehicles!

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Congrats and welcome aboard.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
WELCOME, and glad to see yet another FiST purchasing 'old timer' on here (I'm almost 62). [thumb]

I also had two sons who BOTH played club and varsity hockey at the same time, and somehow I managed with a 2000 Z28, and one was a GOALIE!!
(So I never understood the whole minivan/SUV is a MUST argument for that, but the camping/towing thing is a whole 'nother story. ;) )

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Welcome, I'm 61 and have always had sporty cars. I try not to limit myself by age, driving something that might be considered more "appropriate." Especially if you've always been interested in cars like most of us have, you don't want to miss an opportunity to drive something that you really enjoy.

Hey fastcompany166,

Lot of similarities in our past - I'm a tad younger than you at 63, but growing up in England I (for a while) had a TR5 and then a GT6. After I arrived on these fair shores in 92, I had 1 2000 Z3 Mcoupe - what a wonderful car that was a complete b*tch at the limit (not that I ever did this on public roads, of course !). I've always had smaller, tossable cars, and the FiST is one of the best - I try to remember that at my age my reflexes and judgement are getting slower, but it doesn't seem to work. My neigbor and dear friend is 83 years young and has a custom bodied and tuned Austin Healey 3000 and has often taken me out and amazed me with the old cars capability and his driving skills - I now take a valium if I go out with him. Used to mod cars, but the FiST is enough fun as it is - although I might do an RMM....or a mr230 Hmmm

OP
fastcompany166
Thread Starter #14
Thanks, and I'm really impressed by the Z28. Not much trunk space as I recall, and goalie bags are huge! I was asst coach on a bantam travel team for 4 years and my son played varsity as well in high school. But the SUV was highly efficient, as I was invariably shlepping other kids to and fro from tournaments and practices. But, now, back to the fun!

OP
fastcompany166
Thread Starter #15
Thanks for all the welcomes, and it's great to see there are other elder statesmen out there revisiting their younger days.

I'm 60, and still have the '78 MG Midget I bought 21 years ago. And while the MG is huge fun, my '15 FiST is such a fantastic driver's car that it usually gets the nod when I'm in the mood for a drive.

Not to mention that at 60, I appreciate the much larger doors on the FiST...

FB

All of my co-workers give me crap for "wasting" my midlife crisis purchase on a Fiesta. I just keep smiling.
Welcome!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk