Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

AC System and recirculate door issues

This is a specific problem, so I thought I'd start a different thread.

I have 2015 and noticed that the AC system was beginning to smell a bit funky, so I went ahead and changed the cabin filter as the first step to solving the odor problem. While I was under the dash, I noticed the recirculation door was shut though I hardly use recirculate. I turned the car on and ran the AC only to find that the recirculation door does not respond when I press the recirculation button. It doesn't matter what mode the system is in; auto, manual, "Lo" temp or a higher temp. If the AC is running the recirculation door is closed, period. When I turn the AC OFF, the recirculation door opens to draw outside air. There is no other way to get the recirculation door to remain open (drawing outside air) other than to turn off the AC and to just run the blower.

I took it to the dealership and they did a bunch of electrical tests. Replaced the recirculation door actuator, issue persisted. They then replaced the entire AC control module, issue persisted. I'm at a loss. Suggestions? What else could cause the door to remain in recirculate while the AC is on?

Thank,

Max

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #2
Bumping thread because of update on my end. Dealer still cannot fix the problem after replacing the HVAC module and recirculation door actuator. A hotline call was made to Ford enginners, and they explained that this is normal operation given the humidity and heat of my location. I don't accept this answer one bit.

First of all, why would the AC system suddenly decide that the climate it has lived in for over a year is too hot and humid one day, and thus lock out manual inputs for the recirculation door.

Lastly, I know other Fiesta owners with the same AC system, and their recirculation doors work fine. So what gives?

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Bumping thread because of update on my end. Dealer still cannot fix the problem after replacing the HVAC module and recirculation door actuator. A hotline call was made to Ford enginners, and they explained that this is normal operation given the humidity and heat of my location. I don't accept this answer one bit.

First of all, why would the AC system suddenly decide that the climate it has lived in for over a year is too hot and humid one day, and thus lock out manual inputs for the recirculation door.

Lastly, I know other Fiesta owners with the same AC system, and their recirculation doors work fine. So what gives?
On a long shot try removing the battery to perform a complete power cycle it may reset the logic. Maybe.

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
Where is this door located? Straight out the dealer my car has had this mildew smell. My wife's Sentra has the same problem but hers is really bad and I can't stand it. Spraying Lysol and air freshener through the outside intake helps the smell for a few days but comes back. I'm going to try those condenser foam cleaners that you use through the drain hose to see if it helps her car and if it does I'll use it on the Fist but I'd like to see if this door is working.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Where is this door located? Straight out the dealer my car has had this mildew smell. My wife's Sentra has the same problem but hers is really bad and I can't stand it. Spraying Lysol and air freshener through the outside intake helps the smell for a few days but comes back. I'm going to try those condenser foam cleaners that you use through the drain hose to see if it helps her car and if it does I'll use it on the Fist but I'd like to see if this door is working.
For the smell replace the cabin filter. That is likely the source of the smell as written in a few posts.

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
It's not the cabin filter, removed it and the smell is still there. Most filters only filter out dirt/dust and very few are made out of carbon which will filter smell to an extent. My wife's Nissan has this problem and the filter has been changed multiple times. My 2006 Mitsubishi had the OEM filter replaced last year and that car has never had any type of smell come out the AC. It has to do with moisture not drying properly and causing mold/mildew in the vents, condenser, or any where the air passes through for that matter.

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #7
It's not the cabin filter, removed it and the smell is still there. Most filters only filter out dirt/dust and very few are made out of carbon which will filter smell to an extent. My wife's Nissan has this problem and the filter has been changed multiple times. My 2006 Mitsubishi had the OEM filter replaced last year and that car has never had any type of smell come out the AC. It has to do with moisture not drying properly and causing mold/mildew in the vents, condenser, or any where the air passes through for that matter.
The a/c recirculation door is located behind the glove box. You need to remove the glove box to access it. The smell is the reason I'm pestering the dealership about something as silly as this. With the door always closed, the system doesn't get the chance to air out and it has begun to smell very badly. I've changed the filter twice and have tried those disinfecting sprays, but as you mentioned, it comes back after a couple weeks. I have not tried the evap cleaner foam because the evap is difficult to get to in this car. You could spray it into the space where the air filter slips in as the evap is just behind it, but I'm cautious of doing damage to the evap itself.

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
The a/c recirculation door is located behind the glove box. You need to remove the glove box to access it. The smell is the reason I'm pestering the dealership about something as silly as this. With the door always closed, the system doesn't get the chance to air out and it has begun to smell very badly. I've changed the filter twice and have tried those disinfecting sprays, but as you mentioned, it comes back after a couple weeks. I have not tried the evap cleaner foam because the evap is difficult to get to in this car. You could spray it into the space where the air filter slips in as the evap is just behind it, but I'm cautious of doing damage to the evap itself.
Does this car have a drain hose for the evap? I know my wife's Nissan does and that's where the instructions say to put it in through. Bought this and going to do this on her car.

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #9
Does this car have a drain hose for the evap? I know my wife's Nissan does and that's where the instructions say to put it in through. Bought this and going to do this on her car.
It does. You just need to trace where the water dripping out the bottom of the car is coming from. I haven't looked for it myself, but normally it exits somewhere near the bottom of the engine firewall. As for the recirculation issue, does anyone know if the evap temperature sensor can cause the system to lock itself into recirculation, maybe because it's detecting an "icing" situation?

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
If you can find a wiring diagram I might be able to help you out more. I've tried googling one but no luck so far.

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #11
[video]https://youtu.be/V2TiF1zpcck[/video]

Video of my situation. Any help appreciated. Dealer has stopped replying to my inquiries. Pretty sure they're over trying to help me.

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
I got back there today and my car does the exact same thing. My guess is that it is programmed into the ECU.

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #13
I got back there today and my car does the exact same thing. My guess is that it is programmed into the ECU.
Really? So the system completely overrides your input with the recirculation button?

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
Really? So the system completely overrides your input with the recirculation button?
Yes, when the AC button is on the door is in the recirculating position and won't move however the recirculate button is pressed. Once the AC button is off the recirculate button works as it should.

Are you sure the ecu doesn't have a timer before it turns off recirc based on temp. My honda will stay on recirc for a while depending on temp.

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
Are you sure the ecu doesn't have a timer before it turns off recirc based on temp. My honda will stay on recirc for a while depending on temp.
Maybe but I also noticed that when you hit max heat/defog the recirculate button was off and the door did what it should. I'll mess with the settings today.

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #17
Maybe but I also noticed that when you hit max heat/defog the recirculate button was off and the door did what it should. I'll mess with the settings today.
Let me know what you find. I've watched the system for a while and even though the button light is off, the door remains closed (on recirc) the entire time. The only time the door moves according to the commands of the recirculation button is when the AC is OFF, period.