Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Access port Q: Are these all maps i can use?

So my AP came early (yaaaaayyyyyy !) and i checked first thing to see if it needed updating the FW. Seems it's got the latest. Under MANAGE there are a list of filenames, below is a screen shot of the list. Are these all the free maps cobb offers? Untitled-1.jpg

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
They look like they might be. If you click on one you should get some more info at the bottom of the screen

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #3
They look like they might be. If you click on one you should get some more info at the bottom of the screen
You are correct. So i see stage one is all stock and stage 2 is listed for COBB CAI and FMIC. Im assuming any brand CAI will due (i have K&N) ? Also i have a stock FMIC, does this mean i should avoid going beyond stage 1? One last thing if you can tell me, i notice there are different gas maps. Some are just labeled 93 and some 93 OCT/98 RON. Isn't that RON the European version? Is that a safe map to run since it says "or" ?

I just notice those maps have a +/- 3psi variance to hit desired tq numbers, so i guess it allows the turbo to go that much higher, while the base 93 file doesn't mention this. For a stage 1 the OCT/RON map also goes up to 21.5psi while the 93 map is only 20.5, which means it's potentially giving me 4psi more.

Any reason i should avoid the RON versions? Thanks for your help too hyper, you guys are all awesome.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
You are correct. So i see stage one is all stock and stage 2 is listed for COBB CAI and FMIC. Im assuming any brand CAI will due (i have K&N) ? Also i have a stock FMIC, does this mean i should avoid going beyond stage 1? One last thing if you can tell me, i notice there are different gas maps. Some are just labeled 93 and some 93 OCT/98 RON. Isn't that RON the European version? Is that a safe map to run since it says "or" ?

I just notice those maps have a +/- 3psi variance to hit desired tq numbers, so i guess it allows the turbo to go that much higher, while the base 93 file doesn't mention this. For a stage 1 the OCT/RON map also goes up to 21.5psi while the 93 map is only 20.5, which means it's potentially giving me 4psi more.

Any reason i should avoid the RON versions? Thanks for your help too hyper, you guys are all awesome.
I'd imagine any CAI will work since they all make such a small difference. I would avoid going beyond "stage 1" without the necessary hardware. No need to put extra strain on any other parts. Yeah RON is mostly used by Euros, the US has a different calculation system. So yeah, since it says OR you're good. If I were you, I would avoid using unknown tunes unless you can make certain you know where they come from. When I got my AP, I deleted all the tunes on it and replaced them with Cobb Stage Tunes (except the custom Stratified tune from the previous owner which I researched to make sure it would work). They are completely free and easy to install, and you don't have to worry about what you're running your car on.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #5
I'd imagine any CAI will work since they all make such a small difference. I would avoid going beyond "stage 1" without the necessary hardware. No need to put extra strain on any other parts. Yeah RON is mostly used by Euros, the US has a different calculation system. So yeah, since it says OR you're good. If I were you, I would avoid using unknown tunes unless you can make certain you know where they come from. When I got my AP, I deleted all the tunes on it and replaced them with Cobb Stage Tunes (except the custom Stratified tune from the previous owner which I researched to make sure it would work)
So how do i tell if these are COBB? Will they say COBB on that listing? When i click on one of the maps, at the bottom it says Vendor: COBB Tuning. Is that proof it's by Cobb?

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
So how do i tell if these are COBB? Will they say COBB on that listing? When i click on one of the maps, at the bottom it says Vendor: COBB Tuning. Is that proof it's by Cobb?
If that is the case you should be good then. When I downloaded them myself it didn't say anything about the RON so maybe they're older tunes? I honestly don't know why anyone would make their own tune and label it as Cobb so I assume it is safe.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #7
If that is the case you should be good then. When I downloaded them myself it didn't say anything about the RON so maybe they're older tunes? I honestly don't know why anyone would make their own tune and label it as Cobb so I assume it is safe.
Gotcha thanks man. Im gonna go out and install one, if you don't hear back from me today it means my car went boom and im in heaven lol.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Gotcha thanks man. Im gonna go out and install one, if you don't hear back from me today it means my car went boom and I'm in heaven lol.
Good luck lol. Cobb has a video on first using the AP so if you're confused I would recommend that. My first and current tune is the stage 1 91 octane tune which I feel definitely makes a difference. I use the Boost Pressure, oil, charge, and coolant temps, and vehicle speed gauges on my Accessport

cxwrench

Good luck lol. Cobb has a video on first using the AP so if you're confused I would recommend that. My first and current tune is the stage 1 91 octane tune which I feel definitely makes a difference. I use the Boost Pressure, oil, charge, and coolant temps, and vehicle speed gauges on my Accessport
I'm the same as you. Car is stock excepting a RamAir filter and a silicone intake tube. Cobb OTS Stage 1 91 really increases the drivability.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #10
Thanks guys. Just to be safe i looked up the install thread here on the COBB AP Q/A and watched the vid. Pretty easy and everything went smooth. Just took a short drive to the store but i can't really assess power well as it's a steamy 95 right now and humid. When it cools later tonight i can get a better comparison for power, although it does feel more peppy in 2nd.

Really looking forward to getting my e30 tune though, probly order it this weekend but if they don't work weekends then monday. I also did take a look at the gauges and i like that, but i don't have a mount yet so couldn't really get but a glance.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thanks guys. Just to be safe i looked up the install thread here on the COBB AP Q/A and watched the vid. Pretty easy and everything went smooth. Just took a short drive to the store but i can't really assess power well as it's a steamy 95 right now and humid. When it cools later tonight i can get a better comparison for power, although it does feel more peppy in 2nd.

Really looking forward to getting my e30 tune though, probly order it this weekend but if they don't work weekends then monday.
Who you gonna order it from? You ordered a new FMIC yet?

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #12
Who you gonna order it from? You ordered a new FMIC yet?
No FMIC yet, have to wait at least a few months for that, probly Christmas from the wife if im nice lol. For the tune i think im gonna go with Dizzy but im still not fully sure, im very tempted by the Stratified tq. 😁

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
No FMIC yet, have to wait at least a few months for that, probly Christmas from the wife if im nice lol. For the tune i think im gonna go with Dizzy but im still not fully sure, im very tempted by the Stratified tq. 😁
I am planning on going with Dizzy (especially since Jason just dropped a 5% off coupon AND he apparently has holiday sales). If you do plan on getting a custom tune before the intercooler, it will cost more money since you have to ask your tuner for an update if any more mods are installed after the tune is created.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #14
I am planning on going with Dizzy (especially since Jason just dropped a 5% off coupon AND he apparently has holiday sales). If you do plan on getting a custom tune before the intercooler, it will cost more money since you have to ask your tuner for an update if any more mods are installed after the tune is created.
Yep i heard that i think. I was guessing my best bet was to get a flash for now and once i get a better IC, if it seems worth it i can just get a reflash with updated info. Either way it's gonna cost the same since a e30 tune is only $75 from Dizzy and $100 from Stratified. And i don't even know if they will really add much to the tune with the FMIC.

Couldn't i also have them tune it now including the FMIC, knowing the cold season is on it's way and once i get a new IC, it's already in the tune? The worst that could happen is the turbo is pushed a bit harder than it would and get heat soak a bit sooner right?

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Yep i heard that i think. I was guessing my best bet was to get a flash for now and once i get a better IC, if it seems worth it i can just get a reflash with updated info. Either way it's gonna cost the same since a e30 tune is only $75 from Dizzy and $100 from Stratified. And i don't even know if they will really add much to the tune with the FMIC.

Couldn't i also have them tune it now including the FMIC, knowing the cold season is on it's way and once i get a new IC, it's already in the tune? The worst that could happen is the turbo is pushed a bit harder than it would and get heat soak a bit sooner right?
You could ask them that ahead of time, but if they ask for data logs then you'd be screwed. I guess that could work, but then you definitely need to be monitoring your charge temps. I guess you could order it ahead of time and then wait to flash it to your car? I wouldn't personally, but you're more than welcome to.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I just notice those maps have a +/- 3psi variance to hit desired tq numbers, so i guess it allows the turbo to go that much higher, while the base 93 file doesn't mention this.
Don't get too hung up on boost numbers, it's not the only variable adjusted to make more power - there's timing, too.
Because you're now dealing with actual ECU tuning there is much more granular control over all aspects of the tuning.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #17
You could ask them that ahead of time, but if they ask for data logs then you'd be screwed. I guess that could work, but then you definitely need to be monitoring your charge temps. I guess you could order it ahead of time and then wait to flash it to your car? I wouldn't personally, but you're more than welcome to.
Yep i saw that charge temp number on the readings. If it got too hot too often i can revert back to one of these other tunes till i get my IC in.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
While you technically could, you'll probably wind up trying to convince yourself you don't need the FMIC after all "because it's been fine so far". Just because you *can* run without the FMIC doesn't mean you should. If you want to be safe, follow the recommended/established upgrade paths - they're there for a reason.

There are a few reasons people encounter issues tuning:
- Not monitoring things they should be monitoring.
- Skipping "steps" recommended by the tuners. The tuners recommend them for a reason - sure, Cobb might be trying to sell you parts, but Dizzy and Stratified probably don't have that motivation. If they recommend an FMIC, it's because in their experience it's required for safety.
- Behaving impulsively.

Some people run tunes without the requisite mods and have no problems.
Some people run tunes without the requisite mods have problems.
There's no way to be certain you'll be "safe" without FMIC, ETC. Generally you won't have problems.... until you do.

Just remember you're building the car you want to have. The first step of building anything is to make sure you have a solid foundation - cut corners with the foundation and no matter what you build, it could have issues down the road.

Last edited:
OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #19
Don't get too hung up on boost numbers, it's not the only variable adjusted to make more power - there's timing, too.
Because you're now dealing with actual ECU tuning there is much more granular control over all aspects of the tuning.
Im assuming these COBB tunes don't do as much with timing as the others like Stratified, which is why they tend to make much more power? I saw a dizzy e30 graph on their site that shows just over 300tq and 230whp if i remember, that's pretty good.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #20
While you technically could, you'll probably wind up trying to convince yourself you don't need the FMIC after all. Just because you *can* run without the FMIC doesn't mean you should. If you want to be safe, follow the established upgrade paths - they're there for a reason.
Well i definitely will get one but just can't right now. Im just wondering if it's low risk during the colder months. If it's no bueno at all i can always hold off using the tune till i get the FMIC. Or again i could just get the non-FMIC e30 tune now and when i get the IC get another including that bolt on.