Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Accessport breadcrumbs in factory ECU

TheStig

I got a good one for you guys, i know with some other cars depending on the ECU, the dealer/manufacturer can see if the ECU was re-flashed. Apparently so far as device details of what was used in some cases (just here-say i read online, but its online so it has to be correct?), what about our cars? If you were to tank a motor, or a transmission, something powertrain related and you flash it back to stock and take it to the dealer, would they see a digital trail?

Is there a counter of how many times it has been reflashed? some sort of hour counter? Or can they detect when parameters were adjusted? I remember Mazdaspeed guys all ran AP and just flashed to stock before taking to the stealership with zero issues or guff, but not all ECU's are created equal.

Our car is still in its infancy so this may be a question better answered in 6-12 months or more, but i wanted to see if anyone had feedback on this. Perhaps COBB themselves since they were in the ole' brain box the most.

Yes, the FiST has a flash counter, but if the stealerships are clever enough to look for it, that is a whole new debate.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
never a doubt they would be abl to see some sort of footprint when we rewrite the tune.. Oh well on to Stage 3

Talked to.my nephew who works as a r&d for fomoco and he was able to confirm that they can tell it's Ben reflashed but could not elaborate how or what it tells them, I am going to just stick with larger fmic, better piping and the mountune mp215 when it comes out

Harvick

1000 Post Club
This was Cobb's response when I asked them.

During the Uninstall process we return the ECU to the exact state it was in prior to install. As far as we know, the dealers do not have tools required to dig deep enough to tell if an ECU has previously been flashed

OP
TheStig

TheStig

Thread Starter #6
That is the exact information i wanted Harvick. You get a gold star for the day.

me32

1000 Post Club
They is always gonna be a foot print of some sort. But unless you are doing something stupid such as running 93 tune and using 91 octane gas your not gonna have an issue.

They is always gonna be a foot print of some sort. But unless you are doing something stupid such as running 93 tune and using 91 octane gas your not gonna have an issue.
There will, invariably, be someone this stupid. Given enough time, they might even own a FiST. Actually, on another board, I've heard ACN people talking about doing this. Glad it won't be my problem when they grenade.

Warranty questions are always this: The OEM will be able to tell, probably (Cobb is in the business of selling you a product; a great product, no doubt, but I personally doubt there is no way for the manufacturer to tell, on a serious claim, say, a grenaded engine, that the ECU hasn't been flashed. They're resourceful). More likely that the dealer simply does not have the tools to detect this sort of tinkering (that is, when the AP has been uninstalled and the backed up ECU image reset). The bottom line is always use common sense and don't be stupid. /shrug.