Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Accessport Update and Some Questions

Hi y'all! I am new here, long time lurker, first time poster. Have some quick questions.

First, when I connected my AP this weekend, I noticed a new update relating to CARB EO numbers, saying something like it will remove access to maps without CARB EO numbers.

I worried this meant it would remove some maps or otherwise brick my AP, so I did not install the update. Am I right to be concerned?

This weekend, I installed a used DHM "Factory Fit" (my a**) intercooler and flashed the OTS Stage 2 91 tune. I will be testing it and my new Federal SS-595 tires (205/45/17) in some twisties this weekend. I opted for the street performance tire for value and treadwear reasons.

Yes, I am planning on grabbing a custom tune once I install step colder plugs... And decide on a tuner, as I want to optimize my power curve for midrange torque/smoother power in spirited canyon driving. I am less interested in raw power/acceleration than manageable power, so I am not constantly needing to shift entering or, even worse, in corners, which destabilizes the vehicle and handling at high speeds. Having more smooth midrange power will allow me to stay in gear more and also control the cornering with finer throttle inputs. As you can tell, I've put a lot of thought into this. I'd be interested to hear your recommendations, too.

Also, the map notes for the Stage 2 91 tune suggest a 7k redline, but my default max RPM is still set to 6600 when starting the car. I understand settings you edit in tune adjustments don't carry over when restarting the vehicle (e.g. Cobb TC, FFS RPM [would prefer ~4700 to 5000], LC RPM, etc. don't save). Is it worthwhile to manually increase the limit to 7k every time I start the car for performance driving? Furthermore, shouldn't the map have set the limiter to 7k by default per the notes?

I am relatively new to using the AP, so your advice and input would be appreciated!

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I installed a Dizzy tune on Feb 15th and updated my AP as part of the process. Nothing about CARB and I, too, am in California. However, I did see a post about this on another forum and the theory is that it applies to Stage 3 maps because of the downpipe (which is technically illegal in CA)

slopoke

It seems as though many retailers and manufacturers are starting to watch their Ps and Qs, in regards to parts that violate EPA and CARB laws. A well known retailer of performance parts is no longer selling non catted items, due to them being illegal on public roads. A manufacturer of cat delete components, has removed all of their "off road" pipes because of them also being illegal for public roads in the eyes of the EPA.

It seems as though that the fear of getting fined by either the EPA or CARB and the associated litigation costs, is slowly drying up the supply chain of serious performance parts.

OP
T
Thread Starter #5
I installed a Dizzy tune on Feb 15th and updated my AP as part of the process. Nothing about CARB and I, too, am in California. However, I did see a post about this on another forum and the theory is that it applies to Stage 3 maps because of the downpipe (which is technically illegal in CA)
Interesting. Like you, I installed and updated my AP and flashed Stage 1 in early-mid February. I only saw this update when I checked it on Friday or Saturday. Worth mentioning that I live in Nevada, not CA. I wonder why some APs or Fiesta model years would get this update but others wouldn't. I will have to plug in and check for updates again tonight. Maybe the update was withdrawn.

From the Cobb CARB EO support page (link) "last updated today," it would appear that the Stage 2 package/calibration for 2014-16 FiSTs is "End of Lifed." Not sure if this means the CARB EO is expired. Perhaps they will only delete the Stage 3 maps which don't have a CARB EO number. I'm Stage 2 and don't yet have my custom tune (planning to work with a tuner called Drama Tuning in AZ), so I'm definitely not going to install a CARB EO-related update without first having my custom tune dialed in. I don't need the Stage 3 OTS (I imagine anyone actually Stage 3 would have a custom tune already anyway), but I would hate to see my Stage 2 map removed (it seems to be just marginally better than Stage 1 anyway, so perhaps it wouldn't be a horrible loss).

If the update still exists when I plug in, I will email Cobb Support and ask what it means.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ok it popped up today on mine . There were no bug fixes and its just EO related to their tunes so I was like ya no. I am running custom tunes not OTS so EO ain’t gonna matter for me as their is no fricken EO for them. :LOL:

It basically applies to OTS tunes. What does it mean? It’s just a carb compliance thing they put out. I actually called Cobb and asked them about it and informed them the sentence was just slightly ambiguous in its wording . Leading some people on first read of it to think it might wipe out the tunes they have on their AP besides the OTS tunes. Its more like its an identifier stating that the only tunes on their that are legal tunes are the Cobb OTS tunes.
Though its CARB the thing is not only Cali follows CARB these days other states use CARB standards as well. Which is why everyone is seeing it on the this rollout.

Oh and yes end of life does mean the CARB EO Number has expired. Usually if you have the sticker or the number the smog guys are cool about it. Regardless of it being expired as long as you have proof of an EO number for the mod they are happy.
It does mean that those items will no longer be sold as street legal if sold at all. A lot of companies are starting to just remove non EO products as the for off road use only statement is kinda hard to prove. Unless said vehicle never sees street use and retailer knows that.

Last edited:
OP
T
Thread Starter #7
Ok it popped up today on mine . There were no bug fixes and its just EO related to their tunes so I was like ya no. I am running custom tunes not OTS so EO ain’t gonna matter for me as their is no fricken EO for them. :LOL:

It basically applies to OTS tunes. What does it mean? It’s just a carb compliance thing they put out. I actually called Cobb and asked them about it and informed them the sentence was just slightly ambiguous in its wording . Leading some people on first read of it to think it might wipe out the tunes they have on their AP besides the OTS tunes. Its more like its an identifier stating that the only tunes on their that are legal tunes are the Cobb OTS tunes.
Though its CARB the thing is not only Cali follows CARB these days other states use CARB standards as well. Which is why everyone is seeing it on the this rollout.

Oh and yes end of life does mean the CARB EO Number has expired. Usually if you have the sticker or the number the smog guys are cool about it. Regardless of it being expired as long as you have proof of an EO number for the mod they are happy.
It does mean that those items will no longer be sold as street legal if sold at all. A lot of companies are starting to just remove non EO products as the for off road use only statement is kinda hard to prove. Unless said vehicle never sees street use and retailer knows that.
OK, great! So it's a disclaimer and that's it? It won't wipe custom tunes, and it won't wipe any OTS tunes? Have you installed it yet???

And yes, a lot of places won't even ship to CA and other CARB states now. I have a friend in CA who ships parts to me in Vegas, then I reship to him. He always throws me a little extra cash for my trouble, so I don't mind the trips to UPS at all.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
OK, great! So it's a disclaimer and that's it? It won't wipe custom tunes, and it won't wipe any OTS tunes? Have you installed it yet???

And yes, a lot of places won't even ship to CA and other CARB states now. I have a friend in CA who ships parts to me in Vegas, then I reship to him. He always throws me a little extra cash for my trouble, so I don't mind the trips to UPS at all.
no I have not installed it . No reason too. No bug fixes and by their words applies to their OTS tunes so why should I. I stopped using their OTS tunes awhile ago. I also went bigger turbo so ya no install here.:ROFLMAO:

OP
T
Thread Starter #9
no I have not installed it . No reason too. No bug fixes and by their words applies to their OTS tunes so why should I. I stopped using their OTS tunes awhile ago. I also went bigger turbo so ya no install here.:ROFLMAO:
Well... In that case, I might not install it either. If they provide an update later to the OTS map (I'll be on a custom tune in a month anyway) then maybe so.