Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Advice for picking a cutback exhaust

I bought an ST that had a resonator delete and a leaky exhaust meaning it is on the loud side. I am currently looking for catback options as the car gets fixed by the dealer so it can pass inspection.
I want an exhaust that's on the louder side, but not so loud that my neighbors get pissed off or I am on a first-name basis with local law enforcement - so it seems MBRP is out. I am contemplating a few exhausts. I am in love with pops and want to car to burble and pop while driving - so a burble tune may be in the future.

American Thunder (Flowmaster) - I liked the YT sound clips of this the most but don't know how it translates to in person. I've heard its not too loud.
Injen - this one seems pretty burbly from the clips I have listened to, but mixed reviews on how loud it is. I don't mind a little drone, as long as I don't get pulled over for it or angry neighbors.
MIltek - I am attracted to this one because of the fact I have heard you can order it without the resonator and add it on if it's too loud and have lots of pops.
Thermal - The reviews of this one seem to be the best of the group but I don't know how much I like the sound of It online - but again, don't know how it will translate to in person.

I would try to find local people but cannot do so currently. Any advice for me to help decide is appreciated. TIA

Sound is so subjective. Whats loud to one person is not to another, but I'll share my thoughts as I've had 2 of the exhausts on your list

The Flowmaster was loud, not obnoxiously loud and no drone but it could easily be heard from quite some distance. I really enjoyed it while I had it, but there was no sneaking around in it. I got a few dirty looks from neighbors and I got tired of it. I'm 40 now, when I was 20 I would have loved it. Now not so much

So I switched to the thermal. This exhaust is significantly quieter. Its a deeper mellower sound. I enjoy this much more. No drone, easy to cruise around quietly but roars when you get on it.

If you want loud you'll probably be pretty happy with the flowmaster. MBRP will be louder, but people say it drones pretty bad.

As far as pops and bangs, my car never really did this unless the engine was cold. Once warmed up it mostly goes away. I think you need to go catless to get the pops and bangs you want but I'm not an expert on that

OP
D
Thread Starter #3
Sound is so subjective. Whats loud to one person is not to another, but I'll share my thoughts as I've had 2 of the exhausts on your list

The Flowmaster was loud, not obnoxiously loud and no drone but it could easily be heard from quite some distance. I really enjoyed it while I had it, but there was no sneaking around in it. I got a few dirty looks from neighbors and I got tired of it. I'm 40 now, when I was 20 I would have loved it. Now not so much

So I switched to the thermal. This exhaust is significantly quieter. Its a deeper mellower sound. I enjoy this much more. No drone, easy to cruise around quietly but roars when you get on it.

If you want loud you'll probably be pretty happy with the flowmaster. MBRP will be louder, but people say it drones pretty bad.

As far as pops and bangs, my car never really did this unless the engine was cold. Once warmed up it mostly goes away. I think you need to go catless to get the pops and bangs you want but I'm not an expert on that
Thank you for the reply! When you say the thermal roars when you get on it, does that mean it's comparable to louder systems on WOT?

I have some experience with resonated Milltek. Sound-wise, it's similar to stock but much deeper and very smooth. I ended up going to stock because it got too boomy inside for me after 3k RPM.

I will second what James1980 said, this stuff is super subjective. Sound in the youtube videos carries like 1/3 of everything you hear and feel when you're in the car with a particular exhaust driving around. I see that you're saying that you can't go and connect with someone local and listen to their car, but having went through motions, I am now convinced it's an absolutely necessary step. Doing so will likely save yourself from discomfort and spending substantial sum of money.

If you want to play it safe, then with some luck, you can probably grab full stock exhaust off someone for a few hundred dollars.

Thank you for the reply! When you say the thermal roars when you get on it, does that mean it's comparable to louder systems on WOT?
No, its no where near as loud. But its far from quiet. It'll be loud enough for plenty of people to hear it when you get on it, but it wont be as loud as the louder systems.

I have the Flowmaster and I absolutely Love it.
Like you I was looking for something louder and considered MBRP but after reading plenty of bad reviews on how much it drones I stumbled upon a videos of the Flowmaster and comments of it having a similar tone as the MBRP without the drone. It was a perfect fit for for me and I love this thing now. A bit rowdy without being obnoxious and droney. Burbles and pops on deceleration and not ricey in anyway. I would highly recommend this exhaust for those looking for an exhaust on the louder side and still looking for a quality system that won’t destroy your eardrums with drone. My top pick besides cpe.

OP
D
Thread Starter #7
I have the Flowmaster and I absolutely Love it.
Like you I was looking for something louder and considered MBRP but after reading plenty of bad reviews on how much it drones I stumbled upon a videos of the Flowmaster and comments of it having a similar tone as the MBRP without the drone. It was a perfect fit for for me and I love this thing now. A bit rowdy without being obnoxious and droney. Burbles and pops on deceleration and not ricey in anyway. I would highly recommend this exhaust for those looking for an exhaust on the louder side and still looking for a quality system that won’t destroy your eardrums with drone. My top pick besides cpe.
Thank you! How does it compare to CPE? Particularly as far as the neighbors..
The Nexus does sound nice.
Do both exhaust come with the necessary hangers?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I've ONLY had the CP-E on my car since swapping out the stocker, so I cannot compare it to other systems, like those who change systems like I change socks. [wink]

But, I DO like the tone/sound of the Nexus system, and even on the fully factory turbo/tune/down pipe catcon, it WILL give some pops and crackles on decel from high revs, MANY when cold, but even some when fully warmed up as well. [thumb]

My guess is that ANY/ALL 3" systems will do this as well? [dunno]

The other thing I like about the CP-E is that I can easily/quickly (with the car fully on the ground) change out the tail pipe/tips for different styles/'looks' if I get bored of one, which yes, can also be done with the Thermal (but very few of the others) if one so desires.

OP
D
Thread Starter #9
I've ONLY had the CP-E on my car since swapping out the stocker, so I cannot compare it to other systems, like those who change systems like I change socks. [wink]

But, I DO like the tone/sound of the Nexus system, and even on the fully factory turbo/tune/down pipe catcon, it WILL give some pops and crackles on decel from high revs, MANY when cold, but even some when fully warmed up as well. [thumb]

My guess is that ANY/ALL 3" systems will do this as well? [dunno]

The other thing I like about the CP-E is that I can easily/quickly (with the car fully on the ground) change out the tail pipe/tips for different styles/'looks' if I get bored of one, which yes, can also be done with the Thermal (but very few of the others) if one so desires.
thanks! How loud is it when driving through a neighborhood? I’m guessing that since it’s a 3” it’s pretty loud when you lay into it. I’m currently down to CPE / American thunder and am trying to decide.

Brianmc27

thanks! How loud is it when driving through a neighborhood? I’m guessing that since it’s a 3” it’s pretty loud when you lay into it. I’m currently down to CPE / American thunder and am trying to decide.
I have the Flowmaster - it’s pretty mild just cruising around the neighborhood. It’s not even close to the loudest car around me.

It has an aggressive burbly tone, doesn’t drone, and can be had for 2-300 less than the competition.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I'm sure it's great, but given his location, and taking for granted that he will use the FiST as a year round daily driver, he probably should be looking for a 304 stainless system, and not just a 400/409 series stainless system.

Those in Cali, or anywhere in the desert southwest, and southern tier states (probably even in the mountains, because they use sand, or just require chains) do NOT have to contend with the excessive salt soup which our cars SWIM IN during the winter season here on the northern east coast, and upper mid west.

400/409 stainless yes, will outlast ANY aluminized systems, but they will eventually corrode in those conditions, whereas 304 will not.

Brianmc27

^^^I'm sure it's great, but given his location, and taking for granted that he will use the FiST as a year round daily driver, he probably should be looking for a 304 stainless system, and not just a 400/409 series stainless system.

Those in Cali, or anywhere in the desert southwest, and southern tier states (probably even in the mountains, because they use sand, or just require chains) do NOT have to contend with the excessive salt soup which our cars SWIM IN during the winter season here on the northern east coast, and upper mid west.

400/409 stainless yes, will outlast ANY aluminized systems, but they will eventually corrode in those conditions, whereas 304 will not.
Ha, being in Sacramento I didn’t even consider this.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF you are not fairly deep into the throttle, it is not too loud, and just has a low deep burble.
It will give off a low volume, 'soft' pop if you close (back out of) the throttle suddenly when going slow, especially when cold.

You WILL hear it, as will all outside the car, when you really lay into the throttle, but it remains a lower pitched tone, just louder, and never gets 'rorty', or 'farty' like a straight pipe, or a melon launcher on a 'duh.

Brianmc27

OP
D
Thread Starter #16

Thank you for the heads up. I assumed the Flowmaster would be okay after seeing stainless steel.
Is there any way that I can prevent it from rusting? Any coats I should apply before buying it, or is it just destined to rot after 4 years?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thank you for the heads up. I assumed the Flowmaster would be okay after seeing stainless steel.
Is there any way that I can prevent it from rusting? Any coats I should apply before buying it, or is it just destined to rot after 4 years?
It probably matters just how long you plan on keeping the car/exhaust, as it will take a while for the 400 series to get eaten away to the point of perforation.

You could have the whole thing Cerakoted though, which will stave off corrosion for a LONG time, especially over ANY type of stainless.

Piggybacking on @Brianmc27s' comment, I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the FSwerks exhaust. It sounds fantastic when you're on it, but is barely louder than stock on the highway or when going easy.

When you let off throttle around 4000+ rpm it produces some great crackles and pops on the OEM calibration. It's not obnoxiously like the crackle tunes are.

I've had it installed for almost 3 years now and the stainless steel finish still looks great