Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Advice/intel please on headlights/Xenon/etc.

jeff

2000 Post Club
This is for my Prelude, not my Fiesta, but I know some of you guys will be very helpful on this.

I know nothing about lights, so pardon my ignorance, I have zero understanding of any of this, it's an area I've not delved in to.

So, my Prelude's light ballasts are 20 years old, I did a restore on them but it didn't help much. Had some money and bought some nice Depo lights to replace them. The previous owner installed some sort of Xenon lights and once I got everything apart I realized the previous setup isn't compatible with my new ballasts, which are designed to work with OEM bulbs. Upon removing the old light (which was modified by previous owner) I discovered:

- there is a small black box wired up next to the light that says Xenon on it
- a new connector has been added to accommodate the aftermarket bulb
- there is an aftermarket bulb, it's long like 2 inches long and has a bulb and a little smaller connected part
- the previous owner also modified the OEM housing/ballast to accommodate all of this, not very well I might add...sort of cobbled together but falling apart
- it looks like part of this modification required him to take the light apart, build some sort of housing for the new bulb, and glue it all back together...again, not well done/clean

So, after some thinking I was able to insert the new bulb into the new Depo housing/ballast...obviously it wasn't made for it, and the Depo is made for an OEM bulb, but it did fit. I did some modification to make it all work and got one light installed, not expecting the best. Went out at night and surprisingly (setup was one new Depo housing with aftermarket bulb, one OEM housing modified to fit/with aftermarket bulb) the light shined decently enough though it looked like a spotlight was pointing at the ground. I'll adjust all that later, maybe I can fix some of that.

Anyhow my question before I install the other one is, am I going about this all wrong...what do I need to do? I don't have any desire to modify the new Depo housing because I don't want to bake my light and fabricate and all that, I just don't have the interest...but judging from what the previous owner did that's what might need to happen for it to be "right". Still I don't care as much as long as I can see and am not blinding other drivers. The new lights look fantastic, that was the goal, I don't drive much at night anyway and this was a cosmetic mod. If I get both installed and the light pattern isn't to my satisfaction I'm considering just cutting the rewired stuff and splicing in a stock harness from a junkyard which should be easy enough though I do not know to what extent the wiring was modified by the previous owner.

So help me out if you can, I appreciate it. First 2 pics below are the old/OEM/stock housings with the modified part to accommodate the bulb...last 2 pics are the new Depo housing.

https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/actuator-and-maf-mod/1574527356818.html]

https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/actuator-and-maf-mod/1574527299921.html]
[/URL]
https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/actuator-and-maf-mod/1574527347890.html]
[/URL]
https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/actuator-and-maf-mod/1574527331624.html]
[/URL][/URL]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I'm not a light expert at all and I'm sorry if what I say is incorrect.
It sounds like to me the previous owner installed a HID kit that would explain the change in wiring. The car originally just had regular halogen light bulbs that's what the headlight assembly is set up for, and what the original wiring would have been for.
Sounds like you have two choices do what this person did, or go through the process of changing things back over to stock.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I'm not a light expert at all and I'm sorry if what I say is incorrect.
It sounds like to me the previous owner installed a HID kit that would explain the change in wiring. The car originally just had regular halogen light bulbs that's what the headlight assembly is set up for, and what the original wiring would have been for.
Sounds like you have two choices do what this person did, or go through the process of changing things back over to stock.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Yes thanks I see those are my options, my question amidst all my rambling is can I use the Depo (stock shape/setup) housing with the Xenon bulbs successfully?