Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

After antenna base replacement 4 months ago, still no nav.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Like the title states i still dont have nav after replacing my broken antenna base with the correct ford part. It is all plugged in correctly ( working on it today) scrolled through menus in the test settings. ( 2016, sync 3 with nav when purchased) and saw that its saying nav is disabled. Any way to fix this? I dont have the extra money for forscan and the cable, and no one locally seems to have it. Id really like for my gps and nav to be working again. 20190713_150811.jpg

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Based on the screen above, your NAV is turned off.
The only way to turn this on is with forscan or dealer's version of same.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Ok so why would changing antenna bases shut it off? Unless the chip isnt on until it recieves a signal to boot it up maybe??

Last edited:

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
The original antenna was broken.
Maybe this in some way sent information back to the BCM that there was no NAV and it reset itself.
I have no clue except the screen says that the NAV is turned off.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
The chip might not be active yet until it gets the signal to wake up. At least thats my thought as to why. Nothing failed electronics wise with the old base just the antenna part for normal radio got snapped off. Silly me didn't realize it just needed to cover swapped and it would be fine again. And silly me tossed the old one in the trash and its long gone. Lol.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
When I upgraded my 2015 to SYNC 3, I ended up with a NAV unit from a donor car. I had to try 3 different Blue Fakra antennas before the unit found it. Not sure if what you are describing is the same issue, but perhaps you may want to check another gps sensor.

I didn’t have to mess with forscan (the ELM 327 unit is only $19 on Amazon and the license used to be free, btw) to enable the nav.

Btw, in my case, I didn’t really care about the FORD nav, i was after the AndroidAuto functionality of SYNC 3. Google maps with live traffic is vastly superior to the OEM system, which is essentially a grafted afterthought. But, being anal, I still jumped through the hoops to get it working.

Last edited:
OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
im trying to get the factory stuff back operational. Just so i know it works. I haven't tried android auto stuff yet. I wonder if i should try unplugging it from the APIM side and re plugging it in. I gotta wait to buy that cable till probably september. My money doesnt go far with no overtime.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Well, if you think that having a forscan device is going to solve your problems, I will spot you $18.97 - seriously. (I am not sure if it isn’t the antenna though)

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Lol neither am i. Im hopeful because its was new from ford.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Yes. Its built into the radio antenna base on US spec cars. It has its own separate wiring that runs down to the upper blue fakra connector on the apim module.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Well - as I said, I had 3 different ones that I had to try. Ended up buying a *used* one on eBay from a Fiesta, and that's the one that worked. It would seem that while they may not be marque specific, they are not necessarily one size fits all.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
Ahh. If need be i can look for a used one as well. I guess we'll find out eventually.