Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

After market Exhaust Interior Drone Noise Resolved!

antarctica24

This may have been covered 1000 times here, and I am certain those that may have resolved it probably all went about it differently, but here's what I came up with.

The whole reason for upgrading your exhaust is to get better flow, although some do it because they want their car to be louder, if you are the latter this post is not for you. Having an aftermarket sound system in the car, requires you to make the car quieter, but I didn't want to give up any performance.

I started off with a MA Performance exhaust, and while it sounds good revving it up sitting still, driving the thing past 3000 RPM made a drone noise in the car that was so loud you almost could not talk over it.

After speaking with an engineer at Borla, they recommended the XR-1 muffler, but he wanted me to install it where the factory resonator went. While this sounded real good in theory, there is just not enough room there. But I had bought it and was curious, so I installed it in place of the MA Performance muffler. It had a better noise than the MA performance muffler, but didn't do anything for the drone noise. For those not familiar, the XR-1 from borla has no baffles. It is basically 4 straight through resonators in a square configuration, wrapped by a stainless steel housing with fiberglass between the housing and tubes.

Here is the inside of the muffler

Borla%20patented%20multi-core_lrg.jpg

After installing multiple types of resonators, with NO LUCK, I opted for the Variant Super Quiet Resonator, and took it to my local install shop to get installed. While there the guy asked me what I trying to do, and said, that this would not get me what I really wanted. I said what did you have in mind. For $89.00 installed he sold me this:

AP Exhaust 40181135S - AP Exhaust Enforcer Glasspack Mufflers

This thing was massive, 24" long and the tube inside have the holes scalloped. Meaning they poke up from the metal. See attached picture.

th61HFGY78.jpg

So this can be installed in either direction, if the scalloped holes face the down pipe it will be quiet and if turned around will be louder. While I cant speak for the louder part, I can certainly speak for the quieter part. The drone is almost all but gone. The piece that remains was moved to a lower frequency, so it almost not noticeable. The entire exhaust note changed to a much lower and quieter exhaust except when you romp on it.

I may attach a video later, but those are so hard to hear over the internet. I am so very pleased there are no real words to describe.

If you want the performance of an aftermarket exhaust or free flowing exhaust without the terrible sound most of these exhaust create. This is another option for you, and Had I shown up with my factory exhaust, they could have done the entire thing with 2.5" pipe, XR-1 Muffler, 24 inch resonator, for under $500.00. This was including bending new 2.5" pipe.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I could have told you that the XR-1 would make the system LOUDER, not quieter, as it is a RACING muffler only created to reduce open header/straight pipe noise by about 1 db or so to meet very lenient sanctioning body/track noise requirements. [wink]

I had an XR-1 in my Mufflex 3.5" system on my LS1 f body, and had to change it out for the 'motorhome' sized Magnaflow muffler due to IMMEDIATE hearing loss!!

That AP glasspack is ONLY available in mild aluminized steel, correct?

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Interesting. My CP-E drone at 3k is horrible. I wonder if this would integrate well with the CP-E and not effect performance or the rad burble sounds that rumble out of it when I'm creeping around parking lots.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Interesting. My CP-E drone at 3k is horrible. I wonder if this would integrate well with the CP-E and not effect performance or the rad burble sounds that rumble out of it when I'm creeping around parking lots.
I only hear a mild resonance out of my Nexus system @ about 2500 revs, and not much at all lower or higher in the rev range, and I have a bare floor in the back behind the rear seats right now (and they're coming out soon as well), with NO cargo cover.

But I am still on the factory down pipe, and I got the resonated version of this system. ;)

Why put on an aftermarket system to begin with? Its been proven that the Cat back systems do not make any HP (they just make noise). Power can be had in the downpipe.

Save your money, you are just making noise and not making power.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Why put on an aftermarket system to begin with? Its been proven that the Cat back systems do not make any HP (they just make noise). Power can be had in the downpipe.
The power gains are not really proven for an aftermarket down pipe either, at least when still on the FACTORY turbo.

I installed the cp-e system because this car with the factory system was as quiet as an electric, or hybrid car to me (especially with the symposer deleted), and I was actually burning up the clutch on take off due to not being able to hear (or feel) the engine rev. [wink]

From the factory the car has plenty of noise for me. Kinda easy to tell when to shift. I had a CMAX Hybrid, that thing is quiet. The ST is loud compared to that thing.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
From the factory the car has plenty of noise for me. Kinda easy to tell when to shift. I had a CMAX Hybrid, that thing is quiet. The ST is loud compared to that thing.
Given, but my hearing is probably 1/4, IF that, of what yours is (62, and MUCH permanent hearing loss), so to me it was DEAD silent, as I could not even tell it was running at idle!! ;)

I can get the mbrp 3" from a supplier at my work, and its under $400. The only reason its not installed (or ordered) is because people sell theirs because its too loud. I have a young kid and i want to hit stage 3 sometime early next year. do you think this will quiet down the interior drone on a 3" exhaust? also what is the diameter of the glass pack?

Woods247

2000 Post Club

I like noise. I save money too, not that you should give a shit..

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club

Where are you getting the data that power is produced by a down pipe? And where is your data that "proves" the cat back systems do not make power? Same place as your downpipe data? I have never known Mountune to lie, have you? Or Borla? A Dyno review on the Ford FRPP (Borla) exhaust on a Focus ST showed substantial gains in HP and Tq. Have not seen a test on the Fiesta version but the FRPP Mustang and Focus systems showed increases at higher RPM's. And they add what to me and many others is more important than single digit power increases for milliseconds before shifting.......a nice sound. I have all the power I could ask for in my driving with the MP-215. I want a better sound. If you believe a downpipe alone will give you more power you should save your money!

Back when Adam B worked at MAPreformance didn't he have a thread talking about their Dyno results? It stood out because they we're making big claims about cat back HP but didn't gain anything from the down pipe. Adams hypothesis was that you get the gains from either/or. However combining doesn't add anything.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mishimoto's testing also showed that a downpipe adds no power. Don't think they even bothered to dyno the cat-back.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

MPA

Back when Adam B worked at MAPreformance didn't he have a thread talking about their Dyno results? It stood out because they we're making big claims about cat back HP but didn't gain anything from the down pipe. Adams hypothesis was that you get the gains from either/or. However combining doesn't add anything.
It was this post - though the dyno plots are no longer there. I have their cbe, but I bought it because I liked how it sounds. I think their claim was something like 8whp gained.

As you can see there was a SUBSTANTIAL gain in power with our catback installed. I do realize there is a 300rpm difference in the run start time but that doesn't make any difference after years of testing peak power and torque still hits at the same RPM regardless. Not only is there is a HUGE peak increase in both HP and TQ, but it is across the entire powerband, absolutely insane!