Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Aftermarket Seat for Headroom

Hey guys,

I test drove a couple FiSTs and I really like them, but worry about the headroom bothering me long term. I am 6'4" with a long torso and 38" waist. I scrape the top of the car in both the Recaro and base seats. If I could find a Recaro without the sunroof, that may be the best option, but hard to find.

What aftermarket seats have you guys installed that lower the seat height? Note that I cannot get rid of a slider, as I plan to throw kids in the back and will have to adjust the seat occasionally for them.

I have searched but came up surprisingly empty. What I found is (1) there's no room to modify the stock seat any lower as its already setup efficiently (2) there's surprisingly only one company that even makes an aftermarket seat bracket (planted).

Last edited:
I'm 6ft6 with a long torso in a Recaro seat with no sunroof and the seat lowered to maximum available position. I have inches of headspace.

I know nothing of aftermarket seats, but surely a non-sunroof car shouldn't be that hard to get. (And make sure the seat is in the lowest setting, though I can crank the seat up 3-4 clicks before my head hits the liner.)

OP
T
Thread Starter #6
I'm 6ft6 with a long torso in a Recaro seat with no sunroof and the seat lowered to maximum available position. I have inches of headspace.

I know nothing of aftermarket seats, but surely a non-sunroof car shouldn't be that hard to get. (And make sure the seat is in the lowest setting, though I can crank the seat up 3-4 clicks before my head hits the liner.)
Wow, interesting. I must just have a super long torso. I sat in the sunroof one and definitely hit with the Recaro at its lowest setting. I can keep a look out for the non-sunroof recaro combo, but figure itll limit my options.

My current car is a C5 corvette, known to be the biggest of the corvettes for headroom. My head touches on that too, but its not too bad and I really like the car. Sadly I gotta get something with 4 seats.

First off with a 38 inch waist I would expect the Recaro's would be pretty cramping on a long drive. BTW, a long drive for me is 12 to 14 hours. Look for a base model FiST without a sunroof. It will cost less, weigh less, and you'll gain the overhead you need.

BTW, when I bought my 2019 I could have gotten one with the Recaro's. I'm 5'10" and weigh in at 155 lbs and I found the Recaro's too restrictive as soon as I sat in them. However I was spoiled in my youth to have sat in and used the most comfortable seats I've ever seen in an economy car, BTW said car was a 1970 VW Beetle. While not quite as comfortable as those seats the base seats in the Fiesta are quite comfortable.

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
First off with a 38 inch waist I would expect the Recaro's would be pretty cramping on a long drive. BTW, a long drive for me is 12 to 14 hours. Look for a base model FiST without a sunroof. It will cost less, weigh less, and you'll gain the overhead you need.

BTW, when I bought my 2019 I could have gotten one with the Recaro's. I'm 5'10" and weigh in at 155 lbs and I found the Recaro's too restrictive as soon as I sat in them. However I was spoiled in my youth to have sat in and used the most comfortable seats I've ever seen in an economy car, BTW said car was a 1970 VW Beetle. While not quite as comfortable as those seats the base seats in the Fiesta are quite comfortable.
Having sat in a few sets of Recaros, I find them a bit snug but it doesnt seem too restricting. I like taking turns hard so there just no way those base seats are going to satisfy my needs. This is why I figured there would be an aftermarket option thats lower to the ground and maybe also offers support in a wider package. I'm shocked to see how few people have changed the seats on these given the aftermarket community and support.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^That's because, correct or not, good or bad, most on here are quite fearful of doing away with ANY of their air bags (let alone ALL of them, if one changes out the steering wheel as well) for street use, and without a full spec cage, and 6 point harnesses.

Basically, even though I have a desire to eventually do just this (aftermarket seats and wheel sans full cage/harnesses), I cannot blame them for their reluctance, and fears.

Since if one is critically injured in a crash with this non-factory equipment in their car, their insurance company can and probably will deny their medical coverage (because they are so kind<-LOFL, and most are forced to answer to their glutinously greedy shareholders), even if it results in their death due to lack of said medical care. [:(]

SteveS

1000 Post Club
One thing you might consider is that the seating position with the Recaros is not where you might think it is. Initially I positioned the seatback fairly upright and scooted back. That actually made my back ache, made the headrest hitthe back of my head, and was generally uncomfortable. After attending the ST Octane Academy, what I had been moving towards was confirmed. The seats are designed to have you sitting closer to the wheel and pedals than you would think, so that even when you depress the clutch fully to the floor there is still some leg bend. Then you recline the seatback until you have about a 90 degree bend in the elbows. This puts the seatback farther back than I had initially placed it, which relaxes your back, gets rid of that hunched over feeling, and gets the headrest off your head so that even wearing a helmet is comfortable. Then there is also way more headroom.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
One thing you might consider is that the seating position with the Recaros is not where you might think it is. Initially I positioned the seatback fairly upright and scooted back. That actually made my back ache, made the headrest hitthe back of my head, and was generally uncomfortable. After attending the ST Octane Academy, what I had been moving towards was confirmed. The seats are designed to have you sitting closer to the wheel and pedals than you would think, so that even when you depress the clutch fully to the floor there is still some leg bend. Then you recline the seatback until you have about a 90 degree bend in the elbows. This puts the seatback farther back than I had initially placed it, which relaxes your back, gets rid of that hunched over feeling, and gets the headrest off your head so that even wearing a helmet is comfortable. Then there is also way more headroom.
I had come to that same conclusion about the seating position for the Recaros, after initially having them too upright where they were always bumping into the back of my head. It's really helpful to know that this was confirmed by the experts at the ST Octane Academy.

OP
T
Thread Starter #13
Interesting. Ill have to consider this when test driving my next fiesta.