Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Aftermarket shocks or coilovers?

Hi all. I currently have H&R Super Sports on stock shocks. My goal is to have my car in the same height range as these springs (I like a pretty low ride) but with slightly more comfort. I was wondering if a set of Koni yellows or Bilstein B8's paired with the Super Sports would noticeably improve ride comfort?

The other option I'm looking at is Fortune Auto 500 with Swift springs or a different good quality coilover setup for less than $2,000. Coilovers must drop the car at least 1.5" all around as I'm not looking to lift the car all that much more than where it is now (1.8" front & 1.3" rear).

Quick background on my use of the ST: Currently daily drive the car in New England (see treated roads about 5 months a year for Winter). Wondering how coilovers would hold up through some winters? I'll be keeping the car at the same height year round so not sure if I should care if the collars get seized up after some time? Any other wear from winters that should be a concern with getting coilovers? Currently drive year round on 205/40/17 setup. Would dropping down to a 16" wheel with a 45 profile tire make more of a comfort difference than anything I've listed above? Only problem here is the 16" wheel market for these cars is god awful (8" is too wide for my setup).

Any insight/suggestions is greatly appreciated!

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Coilovers will require more maintenance (cleaning) than a shock/spring combo but give you more adjustability. I have always opted for a shock/spring combo on a daily driver and coilovers on the weekend toys because I'm lazy, but tons of folks on here and in general run coilovers on their DD with absolutely no regrets.

Dropping to a 16" wheel will help, but dampers will be the biggest impact on ride quality. Our stock dampers are pretty rough.

I'm riding on Koni Yellows on the rear, it helped with harsh concrete joint expansions when riding on the highway. Longest road trip so far was ~4 hours and I was having a fine old time, the only thing bothering me was tire/wind noise. Since the rear is now softened I notice I no longer am 3 wheeling in tight turns.

OP
Typical Tom
Thread Starter #4
Coilovers will require more maintenance (cleaning) than a shock/spring combo but give you more adjustability. I have always opted for a shock/spring combo on a daily driver and coilovers on the weekend toys because I'm lazy, but tons of folks on here and in general run coilovers on their DD with absolutely no regrets.

Dropping to a 16" wheel will help, but dampers will be the biggest impact on ride quality. Our stock dampers are pretty rough.
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I feel ya on the laziness lol

I'm currently driving about 90 miles a day for my work commute. I think I'm going to bite the bullet on the Fortune's and just rebuild them in a few years if my driving/winters/laziness wears them prematurely. I've always had lowering springs on my cars so I also want to finally experience a nice coilover setup.

OP
Typical Tom
Thread Starter #5
I'm riding on Koni Yellows on the rear, it helped with harsh concrete joint expansions when riding on the highway. Longest road trip so far was ~4 hours and I was having a fine old time, the only thing bothering me was tire/wind noise. Since the rear is now softened I notice I no longer am 3 wheeling in tight turns.
I've heard people have been running just the rears. That's interesting. It seems to make sense. I do 3 wheel all the time haha but I think my fronts are almost equally as rough as my rears. Honestly, my shocks might be blown but I can't tell for sure as I can't see them with my wheels on (car is so low with these springs lol).

Mikey456

The Koni Yellows are adjustable as I recall. And to adjust them you need to take them out if in the rear. Just a FYI. I would prefer the Bilstein because I put it in and forget about it. That’s my personal preference.

ronmcdon

the meister r coilovers are pretty convenient to adjust dampening. just have to lift up some of the rear carpeted area around the top part of the rear shocks. they are right around 2k even for the GT1's, plus around $300 or so for different set of springs if you don't like the stock 5k/3k rates. Swapped mine out for Swift 8/6 rates with softer dampening I think the car is much nicer to drive. My second choice would have been FA500's.

Not sure if you can lower 1.5" all around, but different springs heights from 180mm to 200mm is offered. I wanted minimal lowering to max out height and inner suspension clearance in the wheel well, so I can throw in some wider wheels and rubber.

OP
Typical Tom
Thread Starter #8
the meister r coilovers are pretty convenient to adjust dampening. just have to lift up some of the rear carpeted area around the top part of the rear shocks. they are right around 2k even for the GT1's, plus around $300 or so for different set of springs if you don't like the stock 5k/3k rates. Swapped mine out for Swift 8/6 rates with softer dampening I think the car is much nicer to drive. My second choice would have been FA500's.

Not sure if you can lower 1.5" all around, but different springs heights from 180mm to 200mm is offered. I wanted minimal lowering to max out height and inner suspension clearance in the wheel well, so I can throw in some wider wheels and rubber.
Yeah some more rubber would definitely be nice. I hate how all the wheels I like for this car are only 17" and no 16" options. Might just have to go up to a 45 sidewall and raise the car a little if I finally stop dragging my feet and get the coilovers.

ronmcdon

agreed there's a lack of selection for 16's. I just went with the 16x8 rpf1's due to weight, price and reasonable +38 offset and the 16x8 dekagrams seem like the only other reasonably priced alternative before going with a set of maybe 16x8 $1800 braid fullrace A's.

all in all wheel selection is not that great given the less popular 4x108 bolt pattern.

OP
Typical Tom
Thread Starter #10
agreed there's a lack of selection for 16's. I just went with the 16x8 rpf1's due to weight, price and reasonable +38 offset and the 16x8 dekagrams seem like the only other reasonably priced alternative before going with a set of maybe 16x8 $1800 braid fullrace A's.

all in all wheel selection is not that great given the less popular 4x108 bolt pattern.
Yup. Doesn't help when you're picky too. I finally settled on some 17x7 OZ Suerturismo GT's a few years ago. Want to switch again once my tires are toast in another year or two and would love to get a little extra sidewall with some 16's but nothing has stood out yet. Dekagrams look horrible from any angle other than straight on IMO.

I did just discover some OZ Chrono Evo's the other day that are intriguing. Now if I can just find a way to buy them lol

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Yup. Doesn't help when you're picky too. I finally settled on some 17x7 OZ Suerturismo GT's a few years ago. Want to switch again once my tires are toast in another year or two and would love to get a little extra sidewall with some 16's but nothing has stood out yet. Dekagrams look horrible from any angle other than straight on IMO.

I did just discover some OZ Chrono Evo's the other day that are intriguing. Now if I can just find a way to buy them lol
I just bought some OZ Formula HLT's from Tegiwa. They're in the UK. My order came quick and the boxes were flawless. I'd totally order from them again.

OP
Typical Tom
Thread Starter #12
Just bit the bullet and did a complete 180 and ordered some Koni Yellows (front and rear) to pair with my H&R Super Sports.

As this is my daily driver, I just couldn't justify coilovers (and their $1000 premium price tag over these shocks). Excited to see the difference vs my, more than likely, blown stock shocks with 40K miles paired up with these aggressive springs. I can see my driver rear shock is leaking. Not sure about the fronts but the ride definitely feels worse than when I put the springs on (ST only had 2K miles at the time) so I'm sure they're not happy.

OP
Typical Tom
Thread Starter #14
koni yellows & springs are a good setup. Have those shocks and swift springs on my daily driver civic and it works great
Glad to hear another positive comment on them. I think they're going to suit my needs well. And with the saved money (vs. Fortune Auto 500) I can feel better/justify those 16" OZ Superleggera's I've been eyeing. Trying to get some extra sidewall and lighter wheels.