Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

All-New Ford Explorer Goes Faster and Further with Performance-Tuned ST

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account

• Following the reveal of the all-new Ford Explorer at Ford Field, Detroit last week, two all-new family members join the model’s broadest-ever lineup – Explorer ST and Explorer Hybrid
  • All-new Explorer ST, the newest SUV from Ford Performance, is the most fun-to-drive and powerful Explorer ever with a specially tuned 3.0-liter EcoBoost® engine projected to make 400 horsepower and 415 lb.-ft. of torque and reach a targeted top track speed of 143 mph
  • All-new Explorer Hybrid is a no-compromise Ford hybrid SUV designed to offer performance and capability in a fuel-efficient package; 3.3-liter hybrid powertrain produces 318 combined system horsepower and is projected to return an EPA-estimated range of more than 500 miles between gas station fill-ups in the rear-wheel-drive model

Completing its broadest-ever lineup of Explorer SUVs, Ford today revealed two all-new models that will take Explorer drivers faster and further than ever before.

The all-new Explorer ST and the all-new Explorer Hybrid complete a lineup that includes a variety of driver and passenger comforts, an array of technologies that improve every drive, and new powertrain options that deliver power and efficiency.

The new Explorer family, which follows on the heels of Ford’s hot-selling new Expedition, goes on sale this summer. As America’s favorite SUV, Explorer will set the pace for the rest of the Ford’s utility lineup, which continues growing this year with an all-new Escape – and more.

“This new generation of Explorer recognizes that every family – and every driver – is unique,” said Hau Thai-Tang, Ford executive vice president, product development and purchasing. “With an all-new ST and an all-new hybrid, there truly is an Explorer for every adventure.”

These latest additions to the all-new Explorer family – built at the Ford Chicago Assembly Plant – will join base, XLT, Limited and Platinum models in showrooms.

ST thrills continue with all-new Explorer ST
Continuing the expansion of the ST brand, the all-new Explorer ST is the most powerful and fun-to-drive Ford SUV ever.

Engineered by the Ford Performance team, Explorer ST uses a specially tuned 3.0-liter EcoBoost® engine projected to achieve 400 horsepower and 415 lb.-ft. of torque. A top speed target for track drivers stands at 143 mph.

“We designed it to be an ST from the beginning,” said Ed Krenz, Ford Performance chief functional engineer. “There’s no mistaking its ST DNA. It has a performance feel with sustained performance capability and wears an unmistakably ST appearance. More than anything, it's just a hell of a lot of fun to drive.”

Explorer ST delivers an engaging driving experience with a quick-shifting 10-speed automatic transmission and standard four-wheel drive with selectable traction control. Available upgrades include an ST Street Pack and an ST Track Pack. Both have 21-inch aluminum wheels with differing levels of performance brakes and feature larger vented rotors, red-painted brake calipers with stainless steel pistons, and larger brake pads for even better stopping power.

As with Edge ST, Explorer ST offers a Sport mode for an exhilarating ride. When engaged via the selectable drive mode dial in the center console, the steering system tightens for sportier reaction, the gas pedal responds more aggressively, gears hold longer and shift quicker, and an enhanced engine note plays through the cabin.

Visually, Explorer ST stands out courtesy of a black mesh grille insert, liftgate appliqué, lower bodyside details, roof-rack side rails and skid plate elements. “EXPLORER” badging stretches across the front edge of the hood.

Inside, a 12.3-inch all-digital instrument cluster is standard. A flat-bottomed, heated steering wheel embossed with an ST logo and unique floor mats are subtle cues exclusive to Explorer ST. Leather sport bucket seats with micro-perforation, City Silver accent stitching and ST logo complete the sporty feel.

Explorer ST comes standard with a Class III Trailer Tow Package with Cargo Management System and Active Park Assist 2.0 – Ford’s new driver-assist parking system that takes control of the steering wheel, gas pedal, brake pedal and gear shifter during parallel and perpendicular parking maneuvers with a simple touch of a button.

https://www.explorerst.org/

If I could get an Explorer ST for the price I paid for my Flex with the EcoBoost, I'd get one, and I'd take it to any track day/autoX I could!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Just nope I know it's going to sell well and everything, but this just continues the trend of Americans buying stuff they can't actually afford. I'm already seeing Jeep gladiator trucks on used car lots.

I was having a conversation with my Wife this week about what vehicle would we buy if we had to, due to a vehicle getting totaled out or something. The Mazda 3 hatchback with all-wheel drive is always number one in line.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I still remember the last gas crunch. $5.00 a gallon and people couldn't give those things away.

Just nope I know it's going to sell well and everything, but this just continues the trend of Americans buying stuff they can't actually afford. I'm already seeing Jeep gladiator trucks on used car lots.

I was having a conversation with my Wife this week about what vehicle would we buy if we had to, due to a vehicle getting totaled out or something. The Mazda 3 hatchback with all-wheel drive is always number one in line.

I don't understand the Gladiator short of it being one of those old is new again things, it's weird looking and what are you really going to put in that tiny "bed"

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I don't understand the Gladiator short of it being one of those old is new again things, it's weird looking and what are you really going to put in that tiny "bed"
I don't understand jeeps in general. They are calling the gladiator a life style vehicle.
Used car lots are littered with Jeeps.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
As far as YYUUUGE SUVs go, that thing is fairly good looking, and probably moves well (in a straight line) for it's size/MASS, but I just cannot stand road tank SUVs. [wink]

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I sure wouldn't want to be the guy who has to fuel up that monstrosity.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I drove a fully-loaded Explorer from Michigan to California a few years ago and was so impressed that I sold my Acura and bought a FiST. If Mountune and others jump on board, it could be a pretty cool platform; Mountune's jumping all over the Raptor, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some nice enhancements for the Explorer.

I know it’s sacrilege to real ST owners but it beats driving a tank with zero fun engineered into it. Now that Ford got out of the car business these boats ironically could be the new gateway drug into Ford performance cars which they might have to start building again due to the thirst. WTF 😂

Its still a long long long way from a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk......[werd]
No doubt but if they’re playing the long game it will be the ultimate bait and switch and we’ll see some fun new offerings from Ford some day. I hope all the engineers with balls don’t leave or die before that happens 🇺🇸