Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

All-Seasons?

Tires, tires, tires....

Has anyone tried or looked into either the High Performance All Seasons or Ultra High Performance All Seasons for the FiST? I'm curious about their performance through the Michigan winters primarily.

Bill

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Kuhmo PA31 a high performance tire got great reviews on tirerack, tread depot and 1010 tires and they are cheap.

I was wondering the same thing, but decided for the money I would just get 15" steelies with dedicated snows. It was really about the same money, and why compromise the handling in the summer and ruin our factory wheels?

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I have had zero luck with any all season tire in the winter. Even the all season tires on my wife's AWD Escape were not up to task of dealing with last winter. I have been on dedicated snow tires since 2000 when I tried all season tires on my Focus. Last winter her AWD Escape on new all season tires was constantly having trouble accelerating, braking, and turning. Changed over to snow tires and it became a very fun winter SUV. Zrzguy is 100% on target with his comments. All season tires will kill the summer performance of the ST, and will still lack the grip needed for a Michigan winter. I suggest the General Artic Max 15" snow tires on steel wheels or find a cheap set of 2000-2011 Focus 15" wheels and mount the tires on them. The ST on winter tires is a blast. The ST on summer tires in the winter, or late fall when you wake up to a light dusting of slush on the road, is downright scary.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Michelon Pilot Sport AS3 are a heck of a WET COLD tire I have them as my tweener tire IF you get SNOW and ICE even tire rack which claims these tires are the hot new thing say GET SNOW TIRES even a oldish (WS60) Blizzak works better in the Ice and Snow than a 3 season tire .. the traction both stopping and starting can't be beat and it makes the FiST a fun lil Beasty here in the snow belt..

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
as the saying goes, all-season tires suck in all seasons ;) That point was hammered over and over again at the Team O'Neil Rally school.

There are places in which a good cold weather all-season would work, but Michigan isn't one of them. I am on the lakeshore where we get upwards of 120" of snow per season. The Detroit area gets much less snow, but it doesn't take much to overcome an all season tire.

Listed in a recent Ford Order Guide for the 2015 Fiesta ST is an all-season tire option(late arrival). Anyone heard any rumors or have any ideas on the tire brand/model Ford supposedly will be using for this?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have the Mich Pilot Sport W rated AS3 and they are incredible handling tires for an all season(really 3 season) they are my daily driver and track wet or really cold day tires. I just found out how much I love them giving a demo ride to a buddy, they really are as fast as some summer only tires and very easy to drive.

BUT, they would be marginal in snow, I will use them but have decades of experience, a Quaife LSD, etc....and rarely drive in snow.

Once we settle down on the East Side of the Sierras I will get a set of top notch performance snow tires for days we decide to go over the passes or I want to hoon around on some back woods roads)

PS A/S 3's are loved by all.

For a Michigan winter, you should probably spend the extra money on a dedicated set of snow tires/wheels. There's a ton of info on winter tires on this forum.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have had most all race and street performance tires and I am very impressed the the Mich in this tire and the tires on my dually.

When time to replace the dually tires will probably get some lower cost tires as they are nearly $2k a set but the lower cost tires I have in mind are very very good, at least 90% as good but half the price.

For a car all seasons, I have never had many but these are amazing.

I see why they are loved.

My other tires for the ST are Toyo RA1 in 225/45/15 on 15x9 13 lb wheels:)

I have had most all race and street performance tires and I am very impressed the the Mich in this tire and the tires on my dually.

When time to replace the dually tires will probably get some lower cost tires as they are nearly $2k a set but the lower cost tires I have in mind are very very good, at least 90% as good but half the price.

For a car all seasons, I have never had many but these are amazing.

I see why they are loved.

My other tires for the ST are Toyo RA1 in 225/45/15 on 15x9 13 lb wheels:)
All seasons used to be "no seasons." Too many compromises to make them a good 3 season option.

From the reviews I've heard, Michelin really raised the bar with the PS A/S 3's. I've had their predecessor, the PS A/S 2s and they were good but kinda meh. No match for a dedicated summer tire.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
All seasons used to be "no seasons." Too many compromises to make them a good 3 season option.

From the reviews I've heard, Michelin really raised the bar with the PS A/S 3's. I've had their predecessor, the PS A/S 2s and they were good but kinda meh. No match for a dedicated summer tire.
Agreed the AS3 will not hold like a set of DZll as I found out at the last autoX event that started wet and I was on the AS3's and in the afternoon it warmed and dried out I went from first to third place as the tires gave it up.. now I will try my Hoosier A6's and see what sticky is all about :) can't wait ..

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
No, the AS3 is not a Rival, DZII, etc....but pretty darn impressive, just not a race hybrid street/race tire like those.

Of course A6, V710, real race tires for autocross so even stickier than road race tires....much fun!

If I had more room, weight allowance, I would have the race tires and wheels, a sticky set of summer only tires, probably the AS3 and some winter tires. Lots of room in the garage overhead in the trailer, even came with an elevator I took out, just cannot carry that much weight back there in a trailer designed for ATV's. Tomorrow I get to mod the ramp to handle the weight of the car.

Kuhmo PA31 a high performance tire got great reviews on tirerack, tread depot and 1010 tires and they are cheap.
Stuntdoogie - do you actually have the pa31's? I'd like to find someone that actually has them....

Hankook noble's are supposed to be great for the price as well.

For what its worth, the michelin as3's supposedly have quite bad winter traction after tread goes down a bit (I remember reading this on tirerack reviews ). That said, I had a set of pilot sport all season plus on my gti and those tires were incredible for all seasons.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Stuntdoogie - do you actually have the pa31's? I'd like to find someone that actually has them....

Hankook noble's are supposed to be great for the price as well.

For what its worth, the michelin as3's supposedly have quite bad winter traction after tread goes down a bit (I remember reading this on tirerack reviews ). That said, I had a set of pilot sport all season plus on my gti and those tires were incredible for all seasons.
Nope i do not. Was gonna get them but decided on getting steelies with winter tires instead.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have put the AS3 to the test in the dry and they are indeed amazing for an all season but I absolutely realize they are a very fine 3 season that might be OK in a pinch with an experienced driver, I would not buy them for use in a hard core winter area.

According to my buddy, tire shop manager, in Utah, the AS3 will wear a great deal longer, when taken care of that is, than the lower cost alternatives that are a better, thus softer, in the winter tire, some as much as half real life expectancy, that means the price difference is really not there, if you can use the AS3 for your needs that is.

My goal here is to point out things that may not be considered by some.

The tires you get should be what does the best for you and fits your budget but should always be good tires and have the proper tread depth for the times you are needing them to do their job well, they are the most important safety device, besides yourself, you can put on your car.

------------------------

I am looking at all the alternatives and though I love the AS3 I keep thinking about going down to 15's for my street setup as love the 15x9, 225 track setup I have and my wife does as well. I would run 15x8 and 205's most likely, same wheels, best tires made, it would be the AS3 but not made in that size.

For a more serious winter setup I would run very good high performance winter tires in probably a 15x7, 195 package or possibly narrower tire, I would want the max grip possible and sometimes that means narrower tires.

RAAM - Unfortunately there seem to be no good all season tires (Unless they're skinny) in the 15" setup - I looked this up yesterday after commenting on the 15" wheel thread on the other forum. 16's have alot of good options. I also want to see a 15" wheel on factory suspension - sure they look good with nice offset and coilovers....

Sidenote - 3 distinct ST forums is quite repetitive, wish everyone used mainly one of them.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I used to be active on three but settled on this one and seldom go to the others now so I understand.

--------------

The issue with 16's is even fewer wheel options.....(

I can only find one low weight 16x8 but not even sure if they would fit over my BBK up front though I have 15's the RPF1 design is pretty tight in that part of the wheel.