Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Already have a worrying noise

Hey everyone, I have 4800 miles on my car now and I already have a worrying noise :/ It is a sort of wooshing/wiring noise. Sounds like bearings :/ surely the wheel bearings shouldnt have gone this fast?

It isn't to do with the gearbox as when I press the clutch in or roll not in gear it goes away. It gets higher pitched as I get faster and lower as I slow down. Worst at about 25/30 mph. It also doesn't disapear as I turn so that rules out CV joints doesn't it?

Any advice would be good? Do you recon wheel bearings and if it is surely it should be covered by warrenty at only 4800 miles on the clock?

Thanks, Jack

It's probably just gear whine. Mine and a few others cars have somewhat loud gearboxes, and that isn't exactly uncommon in fords in general, from my experience. It's probably nothing, but if it worries you, take it to the dealership to get checked out! Best of luck to you.

Perry

"It isn't to do with the gearbox as when I press the clutch in or roll not in gear it goes away."

Maybe I'm suffering from some old head trauma, but wouldn't the disappearance of the noise with clutch engaged while car is rolling, or gears not at all engaged while car is rolling, argue for the idea that the gearbox is involved? Not trying to be obnoxious, just clarifying. Surely could be gear whine, could it not? (As already suggested.)

"It isn't to do with the gearbox as when I press the clutch in or roll not in gear it goes away."

Maybe I'm suffering from some old head trauma, but wouldn't the disappearance of the noise with clutch engaged while car is rolling, or gears not at all engaged while car is rolling, argue for the idea that the gearbox is involved? Not trying to be obnoxious, just clarifying. Surely could be gear whine, could it not? (As already suggested.)
Yes :)

It's likely gear whine. If it was bearings you'd hear it all the time.

Loudest gearbox I've ever driven was an 07 or 08 ford ranger. Awesome little truck, sounded like the transmission was going to die at low RPM. It was a 5 speed manual.

STooge

Gear noise. however, I have said this on many threads, if you're worried, your car is under warranty, Ford will look at it for free, just make an appointment. The worst thing they are going to do is say, "Unable to duplicate" or "operates as designed when compared to same orsimilar car".

OP
J
Thread Starter #9
My bad my bad.... it doesnt go away when you press the clutch down haha

OP
J
Thread Starter #12
Yup, I have emailed the woman that I bought it from at the dealership. It is going to get taken in, I will also mention the intercooler pipes and ask her to get the mechanics to tighten up the ones I can't reach as well :p haha.

Ford Community Posts