Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Android Auto/Sync3 Woes

Android Auto has become one of my favorite FiST features... but damn, is it ever cantankerous.

Frequent disconnects (error 12: communication)... I wear out cords often (tight squeeze for a heavy phone in that console, bouncing around on rough roads etc).

I recall reading (like 9+ mos ago) that bluetooth connectivity was coming to Android Auto... which I'm relatively certain would solve the problem... but it's yet to arrive (assume Ford is late to the game?).

Just wondering if others have similar issues... and if you've arrived at a fix?

For reference, I'm in a 2019 (force system updates weekly over wifi).
Phone: Moto x4 androidone edition, OS Android 9.
Carrier: Google/Project Fi

I have a Moto Z3 mine disconnects too but I think it's my USB cord. Android auto just came out with an update, go to the app and under settings flip the toggle for, "you want the new Android auto." Screenshot_20190810-144838.png

I have a Moto Z3 mine disconnects too but I think it's my USB cord. Android auto just came out with an update, go to the app and under settings flip the toggle for, "you want the new Android auto."
Thanks for this!

Man that new android auto display kicks ass, I love it.

Last edited:
OP
FiSTY
Thread Starter #4
I have a Moto Z3 mine disconnects too but I think it's my USB cord. Android auto just came out with an update, go to the app and under settings flip the toggle for, "you want the new Android auto." View attachment 22628
Update: the issue persisted after phone was replaced (warranty). Having ruled out cord(s) and phone... paid closer attention and realized it was occuring about the same spot in my commute. Read: tower swap... more concisely, swapping between TMobile and Sprint (something unique to my carrier, Project Fi). Come to find out, it's a common Android Auto problem among phones Motorola has designed for Fi. So... I traded phones with my wife (read: jacked her Pixel 🤣). Zero problem since.

Also, yes... the new UI for Android Auto is super slick!

Don't mean to thread-jack here, but, how do you like Android Auto navigation?
I'm about to swap out my Sync 2 unit (with factory navigation) for a Sync 3 unit that doesn't have the factory nav. I'm planning on just using Google Maps, which I already use a ton on my phone anyways due to not wanting to pay Ford for a new map update. Just want to make sure it's nice to use!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
It works great and in my opinion is superior to factory navigation. I rent cars every so often that always seem to have factory navigation in them Google maps on Android auto is better.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Don't mean to thread-jack here, but, how do you like Android Auto navigation?
I'm about to swap out my Sync 2 unit (with factory navigation) for a Sync 3 unit that doesn't have the factory nav. I'm planning on just using Google Maps, which I already use a ton on my phone anyways due to not wanting to pay Ford for a new map update. Just want to make sure it's nice to use!
I like AA navigation because its free and the maps are almost always up to date. I had factory nav on my FoST and the only time it came in handy was when my phone didnt have service when I was with a buddy on some back roads in the middle of no where.

I travel through some dead signal spots and on Google maps you can download the maps to your phone. So even if you're offline your trip will continue. @FiSTY maybe that explains why mine disconnects too, I have the problem when it switches from wifi to cell signal, when I'm roaming and get back to Verizon towers.

Thank you all! I'll have to keep an eye on the wifi/cell switching, I wonder why it disconnects when it switches? Seems like it's such a quick handoff it shouldn't be disconnecting

Thank you all! I'll have to keep an eye on the wifi/cell switching, I wonder why it disconnects when it switches? Seems like it's such a quick handoff it shouldn't be disconnecting
When the handoff isnt quick enough it can cause a disconnect. Ive been out of the cellular game for a while now but there are a few other factors as well like how the tower is aimed, how far apart they are, how many users are on the tower, and even how much foliage may be blocking your connection to the tower kind of like line of sight.