Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Another DIY money saver, urethane drivers side engine mount, relatively easy like the passenger side:)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Sorry no pics yet and mine has a custom top cover as I have a rear battery and built it nearly two years ago to save some weight. You can do this mod with the stock top cover/battery mount or trim off some parts if you move the battery to the rear and save a bit of weight.

I have advocated shimming the stock mount for nearly two years, gave plans to several vendors, none even responded, now I realize after taking off the passenger side mount how horrible it was and fixed it, see my other thread, I decided to see how much I could still move the drivers side and it was more than expected to tackled it today.

While I was at it I rounded over the sharp edges on the aluminum side and buff it up a bit, looks much nicer now, I will post it up as soon as I can, very slow data transfer here RVing.

--------------

I mixed approx 2 oz of Flexane 80 but a stock mount might take around 3 oz or a bit more, I should of mixed 2.25 or so but it is enough to be quite effective.

If you want to do this I would work in this order.

1) mark the bolts, nuts, etc, before removing the mount.

2) support the transaxle with a jack, jack stand, etc....

3) remove mount top from chassis and from transaxle.

4) clean well with solvent, I used lacquer thinner.

5) bolt clamp the parts in alignment but first put a bead of silicone down on areas you cannot get to when assembled.

6) seal all remaining areas where the urethane could leak out.

7) mix according to directions and pour it in to the voids around the the parts.

8) let it cure over night and reinstall it, you can let the jack down now but you want to wait 48 hours before driving the car and I would not get on it hard for a few more days.

For $50 you should have enough material to do 1.5 cars, perhaps two cars, passenger and drivers side mounts and could do them both the same day.

If I had a stock rear mount on hand I could take a look at it, I have poured quite a few mounts, it might be one that can be easily done as well, it is highly likely you can do all three mounts with one $50k.

$500 on after market mounts or $50 for basically the same net result;)

I will be able to test my mounts and the Cobb rear soon, new turbo due to arrive Wednesday:)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #2
UPDATE: 2lbs, 2.1 oz total weight with the modded top and urethane filling, not bad at all:)

-------------------

This is an easy mod, just requires some downtime to let the material cure.

Sorry no pics yet, painfully slow to load them right now.

Rick

Siestarider

I just love this kind of mod, go straight to function, keep it light, low cost a bonus. Thanks Rick!

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
I grew up dirt poor and could only get work part of the year, mostly summers, in the muscle car era and the ranch and farm kids had all the cool cars I got to ride in, drive a few, etc but got into little cars and never wanted one of those big cool looking but not very good cars if you are into actually driving more than the qtr mile.

I love a well built pro tour that is not a trailer queen and respect those that drive the sheat out of them and almost built one once but a bid different, 02 Z06 chassis, 53 Studebaker body, it was planned to be bad to the bone and then some but I decided to retire and go RVing instead.

Way back in the 60's and early 70's power was big bucks so I took weight out which was far less costly and made the car faster in all ways, still my preferred way to mod a car.

That and make the power accelerate the car instead of twisting things around wasting torque, breaking stuff by causing axle hop, wheel spin instead of hooking up..........

The end result is I have learned to take a decent car and make it far better than most can imagine and with the FiST, a great car to a much higher level which takes a bit of effort but the payoff is so much fun:)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
First driving impression, drivers and passenger side mounts, barely more noise or vibration than stock, can barely move the engine with a pry bar, totally happy with the results though have not got on it much, just starting to tune the new turbo. I am sure it will have less torque steer and put the power down better:)

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
[MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION] I've searched for your old thread to do the passenger side but can't seem to find it. Would you be able to link it for me or kindly write a how to fix that damn hydraulic mount :)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
It is under this thread, looks like I forgot to add passenger in the title.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...a-difference-side-engine-and-transaxle-mounts

Going to crank up the boost today and see how the mounts work out, I bet they help a great deal.

When I installed the two engine mounts and the double ended transaxle mount on the highly modded C6 Vette I had built up, even with 335 sticky tires no axle hop and it was far quicker off the line and even less wheel spin.