Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

any builds with a hybrid turbo with the XDI pump and Bosch injectors?

i want to confirm whether or not a hybrid, i.e the Whoosh hybrid, can actually achieve 300+ whp with the combo. a notable tuner said that the whoosh can get up to 340 whp on e50 with the combo but that same tuner also sells all that stuff.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
There is a Dyno sheet on Ron's website, not sure what more proof you need. E50, 4 port, and 35 shot of nitrous hit 400whp. I'm sure 340whp is no problem with E30 or similar.

OP
Humpy Mcsaddles
Thread Starter #3
There is a Dyno sheet on Ron's website, not sure what more proof you need. E50, 4 port, and 35 shot of nitrous hit 400whp. I'm sure 340whp is no problem with E30 or similar.
i want to know what the Whoosh hybrid can do with the XDI pump and injectors without Aux fuel. i don't want to deal with Aux fuel until a system comes out that works with the ECU without a secondary controller.

the notable tuner told me that it would get up to 340ish on e50 but i want actual proof that it will because i've been told several different thing by that tuner between Facebook, Youtube, and Email comments.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
i want to know what the Whoosh hybrid can do with the XDI pump and injectors without Aux fuel. i don't want to deal with Aux fuel until a system comes out that works with the ECU without a secondary controller.

the notable tuner told me that it would get up to 340ish on e50 but i want actual proof that it will because i've been told several different thing by that tuner between Facebook, Youtube, and Email comments.
Whether it is coming from hpfp/injectors or aux fuel - fuel is fuel.

OP
Humpy Mcsaddles
Thread Starter #5
Whether it is coming from hpfp/injectors or aux fuel - fuel is fuel.
dealing with Aux fuel is tedious compared to being able to simply swap a tune file. it also creates an extra point of failure and it gets in the way if you gotta do maintenance to that section of the vehicle.

i remember one of us Hybrid FiSTers had the XDI pump but didn't see any gains from it alone and it is not wise to install just the injectors because of FRP, apparently. i need to know if hybrid FiSTers have gone with all 3 and what the results were.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
dealing with Aux fuel is tedious compared to being able to simply swap a tune file. it also creates an extra point of failure and it gets in the way if you gotta do maintenance to that section of the vehicle.

i remember one of us Hybrid FiSTers had the XDI pump but didn't see any gains from it alone and it is not wise to install just the injectors because of FRP, apparently. i need to know if hybrid FiSTers have gone with all 3 and what the results were.
A: To really take advantage of the high flow fuel pump larger injectors are needed. .
B: You install the larger injectors and High flow fuel pump together.
C: Pushing 350HP on a hybrid is pretty much running it to the bleeding edge.
D: If you really want 350HP reliably you should go with the S280 if you are looking to stay in the 250-270 range get the Whoosh. Yes you can break 300whp with it but again you are going to have to do the larger injectors and fuel pump and you are going to be pushing it hard. The S280 only spools a few hundred rpm later and with the fuel pump and injectors can run 350hp all day long without breaking a sweat. Look at Tune+ blog to see .

OP
Humpy Mcsaddles
Thread Starter #7
A: To really take advantage of the high flow fuel pump larger injectors are needed. .
B: You install the larger injectors and High flow fuel pump together.
C: Pushing 350HP on a hybrid is pretty much running it to the bleeding edge.
D: If you really want 350HP reliably you should go with the S280 if you are looking to stay in the 250-270 range get the Whoosh. Yes you can break 300whp with it but again you are going to have to do the larger injectors and fuel pump and you are going to be pushing it hard. The S280 only spools a few hundred rpm later and with the fuel pump and injectors can run 350hp all day long without breaking a sweat. Look at Tune+ blog to see .
yeah i've been following all this since Adam started S280 fever when he got 370whp at respectable boost levels. i don't want more than 320 whp- torque because im on a stock block and stock clutch and im only running 215 Direzza ZIIIs. i saw Jeff's video on why he went back to 93 octane after two years on e30 with aux fuel and i mostly copied his build. he talks about wheel spin at 330 torque being the primary factor of why he went back to 93 octane.

i dont want the s280 because my spool time with the Whoosh on a catted DP is already VERY noticeable over the stock turbo. the notable tuner told me that i would only decrease spool time with a catless DP but i REALLY don't want a catless DP. the notable tuner has also been very inconsistent with his claims depending on the platform, i.e whether or not a cat-back would get me any gains.

this is why i want actual results from fellow FiSTers on the trio. the notable tuner suggested that i could get up to 340whp on e50 with the trio but i want proof that i can even get over 272whp before i spring for the XDI pump. i don't need crazy power, i just want an extra 40 or so every once in a while without aux fuel.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
yeah i've been following all this since Adam started S280 fever when he got 370whp at respectable boost levels. i don't want more than 320 whp- torque because im on a stock block and stock clutch and im only running 215 Direzza ZIIIs. i saw Jeff's video on why he went back to 93 octane after two years on e30 with aux fuel and i mostly copied his build. he talks about wheel spin at 330 torque being the primary factor of why he went back to 93 octane.

i dont want the s280 because my spool time with the Whoosh on a catted DP is already VERY noticeable over the stock turbo. the notable tuner told me that i would only decrease spool time with a catless DP but i REALLY don't want a catless DP. the notable tuner has also been very inconsistent with his claims depending on the platform, i.e whether or not a cat-back would get me any gains.

this is why i want actual results from fellow FiSTers on the trio. the notable tuner suggested that i could get up to 340whp on e50 with the trio but i want proof that i can even get over 272whp before i spring for the XDI pump. i don't need crazy power, i just want an extra 40 or so every once in a while without aux fuel.
Just so you know I am running a s280 and pulling 284whp on pump gas 91 I also feel you will not got much if anything more going to a non catted downpipe. I am running a Mountune Sportcat. I am tuning for e30 with no extra fueling at this point as well and I specifically pointed out my mods to Adam before venturing down this road. I guess I will see what kinda numbers I spit out. I would not get the XDI pump if your not going to do the injectors. Jeff runs a split second aux fuel type system. I would never run one of those because of the design is a piggyback system left over from the 90โ€™s and I feel its less than ideal.
If I go aux fuel it would be HPFP and injectors. Though I am not seriously looking for much over the 300 mark either. Difference between you and I is I did not want the stupid donkey kick down low . I can drive my car at quarter throttle and low rpms around town and it feels like a stock car. Spin it up to 2800 and upwards and its goes like a scalded cat. I leave people behind. lol

P.S. stock block can handle 350HP all day long. Oh and Adam loving the s280 is not a fever. Its literally a truth. The S280 is a freaking great turbo for our cars. Its reliable and does not have to work as hard as a hybrid to get the numbers. Though ya want to stay in the 250-270 and love the tire spinning donkey kick run the Hybrid. Want mid range and top end for days get a bigger turbo.

Last edited:
OP
Humpy Mcsaddles
Thread Starter #9
Just so you know I am running a s280 and pulling 284whp l

P.S. stock block can handle 350HP all day long. Oh and Adam loving the s280 is not a fever. Its literally a truth. The S280 is a freaking great turbo for our cars. Its reliable and does not have to work as hard as a hybrid to get the numbers. Though ya want to stay in the 250-270 and love the tire spinning donkey kick run the Hybrid. Want mid range and top end for days get a bigger turbo.

yeah i've gone back and forth on the s280 vs the XDI ( i already had the injectors) a lot over the past year, especially since i wanted about 300ish on pump gas without all the hassle of ethanol mixing. i have literally been on the page, ready to buy either at least 3 times since last may.

OP
Humpy Mcsaddles
Thread Starter #11

Woods247

2000 Post Club
i want to confirm whether or not a hybrid, i.e the Whoosh hybrid, can actually achieve 300+ whp with the combo. a notable tuner said that the whoosh can get up to 340 whp on e50 with the combo but that same tuner also sells all that stuff.
You can hit that number with race gas or possibly e30 if Adamโ€™s your tuner. Not sure about the others. Injectors and HPFP will probably get you around 350 or so. Itโ€™ll definitely be fast if thatโ€™s what your priority is.

Magnetic

Iโ€™m working on it. I already spoke with Adam and soon Iโ€™ll have both the injectors and HOFP and am trying to get the 300 with straight E85. Once I have some data I will be posting. I didnโ€™t want to be mixing either.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
You can hit that number with race gas or possibly e30 if Adamโ€™s your tuner. Not sure about the others. Injectors and HPFP will probably get you around 350 or so. Itโ€™ll definitely be fast if thatโ€™s what your priority is.
Very true as I broke 300whp with a E30 tune and pump gas on stock fuel 310whp and 340 ft lbs wtq. Ya and of course Adam is my tuner. He even said I could get 340 whp on injectors alone. If I wanted to got there. I know some people point out Dizzy says its a no go. Though I trust Adam as he is not in the business to blow peoples cars up and told me he has tuned several injector only cars out in the wild.

It doesn't matter whether you use aux fuel or injectors+hpfp. Fuel is fuel, like Jabbit said.

Your issue will be making that much power with the hybrid. I don't think I have even tuned a hybrid to 340whp and I've tunes probably close to 100 all over the country. The issue is, that to make excess of 300whp you need to run higher boost than Ron warranties the turbo for. I get guys all the time that want 300whp, but then tell me that boost is too high and I'm voiding their warranty. Well which is it? Lol. Do you want the power with no warranty or the warranty and fall just short of 300whp.

I hope this helps

Magnetic

It doesn't matter whether you use aux fuel or injectors+hpfp. Fuel is fuel, like Jabbit said.

Your issue will be making that much power with the hybrid. I don't think I have even tuned a hybrid to 340whp and I've tunes probably close to 100 all over the country. The issue is, that to make excess of 300whp you need to run higher boost than Ron warranties the turbo for. I get guys all the time that want 300whp, but then tell me that boost is too high and I'm voiding their warranty. Well which is it? Lol. Do you want the power with no warranty or the warranty and fall just short of 300whp.

I hope this helps
Hi Jason,

have you ever tuned a Borg Warner 6258 EFR on a fiesta? Iโ€™ve been considering this setup for the quick spool, top end and durability.
Thanks in advance!

Dpro

6000 Post Club

I hope this helps
In my case Jason, I am speaking of the S280 not the Whoosh hybrid. I do agree with you that the Whoosh Hybrid should not be pushing over 300whp its just not designed flow wise for that. The S280 on the other hand has room to play.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

I'm very concerned about spool as well. I hope to have the patience to save up for a tubular exhaust manifold. At the very least I want to do a ported or extrude honed OEM one with the requisite port matching. I don't know exactly how many rpm's either option would shave off of spool time. There is also some debate on there effectiveness. A lot of keyboard warriors tho as I've yet to run into a negative (or detailed) comment from the few people who actually run an upgraded manifold. That may just be my lack of searching

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran

I hope this helps
MO POWER BABY! ๐Ÿ˜Ž Damn the warranty, full speed a head! ๐Ÿ˜

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm very concerned about spool as well. I hope to have the patience to save up for a tubular exhaust manifold. At the very least I want to do a ported or extrude honed OEM one with the requisite port matching. I don't know exactly how many rpm's either option would shave off of spool time.
Is all of that really worth it on the factory snail, or are you speaking about, and do you have definite plans for at least an S280?

Port matching the manifold outlet to the turbo inlet, or the head exhaust ports to the honed out manifold inlets?

Ford Community Posts