Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Any Difference Between 17 and 19 FIST

Hey guys,

So I think my Fiesta SE is sold person test drove and liked it and said they would pick it up Monday. So I have tracked down a 2019 ST brand new sitting on dealers lot, and also tracked down a 17 ST that is one owner and has 12K miles on it. The new car has NAV and MoonRoof and they are asking 18.995.00 the used 17 doesn't have those extra's and they are asking 15,500.00 so my main question is between the 2 model years is there any difference that would sway me either way. I know same power and thinking same everything but figured you guys would know more than me. If they are identical than my next question is it worth 4K more to have a 19 that currently has 23 miles on it or just skip to the 2017. I know it is a personal preference but just seeing what your thoughts are?

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Cool to see you're getting into an ST! Based on the numbers you've provided, that quote with those options from the dealer seems pretty decent, as long as they don't upcharge at the last moment. I paid a little less than that on mine without any options. Not too sure how important those options are to you (since Nav can just be used from the phone) but I would prioritize looking for Recaros as an option. Not sure what body type you have but if you're anything like me they're an amazing option... Onto the 17", that $15.5 seems a little steep for the private used market. Assuming it doesn't have any mods or options, KBB gives a quote at $13.7k-$15.5k. Assuming he babied the car and took care of the regular maintenance than it might be a good way to save some money that could be invested into some killer mods. That being said, you're giving up your warranty if you get the used unless it's a CPO. I believe the cars themselves are identical. I think both the evap harness and rear suspension changes were implemented in 2016. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I am thinking the 19 might not have Recaro's.Cuz I paid 21500 for mine with recaro's.If they do then jump on it.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I would go with the brand new one myself. Not enough of a price difference and if new you know how it is treated from day one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
vmaxbaby
Thread Starter #8
thank you all for the in put, neither car has the leather seats (Recaros) which for me is best I am 220 to 225 and thinking it might be a little tight for me. Those prices don't include tax, title, or the processing fee. The new one the processing fee is 699.00 the used one is in another state and their processing fee is $ 170.00 so the 17 is the cheaper option for sure and the Nav isn't big deal I guess I have an iphone for that, thinking the moon roof option was nice on the 19 but cost difference of about $ 3800.00 not sure. The warranty on the 17 is bumper to bumper till May 2020 and powertrain is May 2022. Each has it's pro's and con's I guess. I do want to do some mods to it (exhaust cat-back) motormount, shifter plate, catch can, and either crossover pipe or the other pipe that connects to the airbox have read so much about those two mods and conflicting results not sure either or both help the car so maybe will hold off on them. I didn't know if the 19 or 17 had different instrument clusters or different lighting. But one way or the other unless something changes I think this coming Saturday I will be adding a Fiesta ST to my performance collection..LOL

I would suggest avoiding the Recaro's. The seating position is too low, the headrest bends your head forward and IMO the are uncomfortable. If you want seats that won't have you looking like the hunchback of Notre Dame after a 10 hour drive what you want are the standard seats.

BTW, my evaluation of the Recaro's is based on driving my nephew's FoST and at 5'10" I was seated so low that I was almost peeking over the steering wheel. As for the standard seats, that is based on several 600+ mile drives in my FiST. Truth is that the only seats that I've found more comfortable on a long drive than what is in my FiST is the seats in my very first car, a 1970 VW Beetle.

As for going with the 2019, IMO nothing beats the knowledge that every mile on your car was driven by you. There is a lot of damage that can be done by an idiot driver and that 17 may be on the market because the owner suspects he's lunched the transmission or engine. Point is that used cars are always a gamble and sometimes you get handed the short end of the stick.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I would suggest avoiding the Recaro's. The seating position is too low, the headrest bends your head forward and IMO the are uncomfortable. If you want seats that won't have you looking like the hunchback of Notre Dame after a 10 hour drive what you want are the standard seats.

BTW, my evaluation of the Recaro's is based on driving my nephew's FoST and at 5'10" I was seated so low that I was almost peeking over the steering wheel. As for the standard seats, that is based on several 600+ mile drives in my FiST. Truth is that the only seats that I've found more comfortable on a long drive than what is in my FiST is the seats in my very first car, a 1970 VW Beetle.

As for going with the 2019, IMO nothing beats the knowledge that every mile on your car was driven by you. There is a lot of damage that can be done by an idiot driver and that 17 may be on the market because the owner suspects he's lunched the transmission or engine. Point is that used cars are always a gamble and sometimes you get handed the short end of the stick.
Seating position is quite different in the FoST. I test drove both back to back.

The Recaros put this car on another level. And they are also heated. Worth every penny.

TemecFist

Skip the Recaros, put your own seat in if you want. The only reason people swear up and down by the Recaros is because that's the only option. Now, if we had the option of the Recaros or something like the Sparco Chronos.....people would be all over the Sparcos and not the Recaros. I swapped my seats for Sparcos and they are 100x better than the Recaros.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Skip the Recaros, put your own seat in if you want. The only reason people swear up and down by the Recaros is because that's the only option. Now, if we had the option of the Recaros or something like the Sparco Chronos.....people would be all over the Sparcos and not the Recaros. I swapped my seats for Sparcos and they are 100x better than the Recaros.
Nah

2017 w/Recaros - bone stock

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Just not driving it. Too many cars and being retired they mostly sit unused.
That's a big $ hit tho.
I bought a brand new Dodge Challenger scat pack and traded it in with a thousand miles... Took a tremendous head on that one.
Sell one of your other cars keep the fist!! [emoji41]

Last edited:
It’s not that it’s just an option, it’s a factory race seat with airbags.

The FiST is a small car, small cars tend not to do so well in accidents. I’d absolutely love to swap seats out for something a bit better but I’m not willing to compromise my car’s safety equipment because I use it on the street. I don’t have a harness or a roll cage, so I need every airbag for the worst case scenario. Swapping an aftermarket seat will compromise the safety of a street car in a collision.

As is I have a non-recaro GPS equipped unit, and I’m at the point of feeling the springs of the seat. Might be my bony ass, but the stock seats are wildly uncomfortable but like I said without the airbags I won’t swap seats, that makes the recaros desirable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seating position is quite different in the FoST. I test drove both back to back.

The Recaros put this car on another level. And they are also heated. Worth every penny.
This 100% I have had a st3 focus st and my current fiesta st has the recaros. The fiesta headrestraints dont move so I replaced them with focus titanium headrestraints. That right there helped a lot. And while I still get fatigued pretty quick on long drives in my fiesta with recaros my legs arent going numb due to the crazy seat rake in the focus. You'd think they were the same seats but I guess its good they arent. I hated how bad they hurt my back in the focus.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
This 100% I have had a st3 focus st and my current fiesta st has the recaros. The fiesta headrestraints dont move so I replaced them with focus titanium headrestraints. That right there helped a lot. And while I still get fatigued pretty quick on long drives in my fiesta with recaros my legs arent going numb due to the crazy seat rake in the focus. You'd think they were the same seats but I guess its good they arent. I hated how bad they hurt my back in the focus.
I would say the only advantage of the Focus Recaros, is that they are full leather and not the crap cloth/leather combo we have. [emoji3525]

At least if the cloth portion was a dark color, it wouldn't be too bad. But no, Ford had to put the lightest & easiest to stain color possible! [emoji36]

Last edited: