Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Any drop in radiator options besides mountune?

The mountune radiator is sold out. Are there any other options besides low quality mishimoto or ebay radiators? I've never had issues with my fiesta running hot. But im installing an auxillary fuel system and doing ethanol, and I'd like to build a little more capacity into the fuel system.

Any other first hand experience on tips and methods to improve fiesta water cooling?

THanks in advance.

OP
Saponetta
Thread Starter #4
Ive heard great things about the whoosh one.
Really? It sounds like it has ebay level fit and finish. I thing it's great someone brining another radiator options to market. But modding brackets and Bad fitment of shroud. I'd rather just pay a bit more(mountune is about $100 more) more and get an OEM level of fit and finish.

ronmcdon

i have the pro alloy radiator and it's worked great for me at above 100f track events, but the premium is higher. I went with pro alloy in part due to moutune radiator shortages at the time i was interested

OP
Saponetta
Thread Starter #6
i have the pro alloy radiator and it's worked great for me at above 100f track events, but the premium is higher. I went with pro alloy in part due to moutune radiator shortages at the time i was interested
That looks like it might be the only option. Is it sold without the oil cooler? Does it fit like OEM?

I'm waiting to hear back from mountune on availability of their core. I can wait if it's reasonable. It's winter, and I've never had any issues with either one of my fiesta in the past. But if there is anything that can be done to prevent future cooling problems it's always worth doing.

I'm not a fan of low temp thermostats.

ronmcdon

you can get it without the oil cooler. However if you decide to get the oil cooler later it will be more expensive by $1-200 if you get it separately. Had my mechanic install the part and not sure about details but he did comment about the higher level of quality in radiator.

Actually mountune just emailed me and said 3 to 4 weeks. That's not bad. I can order now and reserve a unit and get 20% off too.
I ordered a Mountune radiator through MAPerformance in MN at at the end of November, it took about 4 weeks to arrive. So their estimate should be pretty accurate.

Really? It sounds like it has ebay level fit and finish. I thing it's great someone brining another radiator options to market. But modding brackets and Bad fitment of shroud. I'd rather just pay a bit more(mountune is about $100 more) more and get an OEM level of fit and finish.
As someone who has had an ebay radiator this is far from the truth. My whoosh is built much better than the ebay one I had and accepts the stock fan shroud without mods. The whoosh is slightly more than the ebay and has way better quality.

I got a whoosh radiator.

The, "bracket modding" isn't that bad. the radiator has rectangular brackets that slide onto the support mounts to stay in place, those were a little tight. Literally all I had to do was stick a flat head in there and bend them out a bit so that they slid onto the plastic mounts, after that it was about as hard to do as any other radiator in a compact modern car. The Mountune one is thinner so you may have better luck sliding that in from the top instead of having to take the bumper and crash bar halfway off but I doubt it.

So far it has held up great against the southern Arizona heat with a car that gets driven hard.
I will say the fan shroud fitment could be a bit better but it isn't bad.

The hottest I've seen my coolant temps go is 214F on an evening summer run up our local mountain. 5500ft gain over 26 miles.

If you care more about great function at a lower budget, Whoosh. $354 shipped.

The Mishi is ever so slightly thicker, so in theory it can dissipate more heat and take longer to get hot but between me and my buddy we never saw any difference in performance. His is a tiny bit harder to work on because it takes up a bit more space. We are both S280 + single port on E40. $550-600+~

Pro Alloy if you're rich and don't care that returns are diminished $800-1500+~

Mountune is thinner, ease of access is better, cooling idk. Their customer service is pretty shitty from what I have gathered on this site, take months to send out gear, never reply to customers inquiring about stuff they purchased months ago and never got. Also heard they're under new mgmt. though, so they may be better now. 550-650+~

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I thought that Mt. Lemmon was ~9000 feet in elevation, what elevation is the 'flatland' of the city, and surrounds at, to begin with??

ronmcdon

Mountune radiators ought to be high quality as they should be manufactured by CSF and re-branded exclusively as Mountune.

Idk about Mountune having questionable customer service, but earlier last year I did have trouble sourcing a CSF radiator for my evo x via MAP Performance (had good experience with MAP in the past and continue to order parts from them today). Ordered the CSF, evo radiator expecting a 2-3 month wait and towards the end of 3 months was informed by MAP that CSF had decided to stop making the part and cancel my order. Pretty crappy move imo. So not really sure if Mountune has customer service issues with regards to their radiators, and/of if they have limited control over CSF production and communication.

Note you cannot buy Fiesta radiators directly from CSF. The application is on their website, but it just takes you back to a link on Mountune's website.
https://csfrace.com/product/direct-fit/

Save money and get the eBay mishimoto clone. If you want more information and installation tips I'm glad to help
I remember reading up about radiators last year and someone suggested searching ebay for a 40mm aluminum rad, and it being in the neighbourhood of ~$280.

The one I bought is by GPI racing. When I bought it it was 250 plus 50 dollar shipping. After I placed my order they emailed saying they found one states side and would only charge 25 for shipping. Now it's selling for 268 with free shipping. It's been a great radiator and anyone that needs a radiator ASAP should consider it. If you don't mind waiting then order the more expensive options.

^^^I thought that Mt. Lemmon was ~9000 feet in elevation, what elevation is the 'flatland' of the city, and surrounds at, to begin with??
Yes, flat land is about 2400ft~ I think.

Then it depends on whether you go to the tipity top but that road is often closed, is a tiny single lane for oncoming/outgoing , has people walking on it and so on. Most people usually only go to summer haven, a tiny, expensive and pretty town up near the top. At least I don't know anyone aside from cyclists and hikers and dudes trying to finger their tinder dates that go to the observatory.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
They used to keep it open right to the observatory, (even in winter, when there was a foot or more of snow up there!) way way back in the Jurassic era (mid '70s) when I was attending the UofA.

They did 'suggest' using either chains, or full snow tires though. [wink]

They used to keep it open right to the observatory, (even in winter, when there was a foot or more of snow up there!) way way back in the Jurassic era (mid '70s) when I was attending the UofA.

They did 'suggest' using either chains, or full snow tires though. [wink]
Now even if it's light snow they close the whole road for everyone but people with AWD or chains, and people that live up there until they clear it off.

Shit, Tucson was only like 200,000 people back then I think. Was it still fully paved then?