Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anybody with Koni Yellows run into this?

After several months of driving on my Koni Yellows and H&R Super Sport springs I developed a squeak on my front passenger side. Had a dealer look into it during an alignment and they didn't see any wear on any bushings etc. Later find out it's my spring not seating correctly on the perch of the Koni strut. Call up Koni and they say it's because they don't make Koni Yellows for the ST (only the base model) and the ST has a different angle that the spring seats at vs the base model causing the spring to move around during bumps/imperfections leading to the squeak.

Koni said people will take a "rubber hose" and form it to the bottom of the spring to remedy this.

Has anyone run into this issue? How exactly did you remedy it, if at all? I'm contemplating just getting Bilstein B8 instead. If anyone has any input on those feel free to leave it here. It's my daily driver and 100% a street car so comfort trumps performance (OEM+ feel). I'm planning on selling it to get a GR Corolla so not trying to dump coilover money into it right now. Thanks y'all!

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I have had Koni Yellows and Swift springs for ~30k/~4 years on my '17 w/o issue. The drop with the Swifts isn't as much as the H&Rs. I also run them pretty stiff (for HPDE). Not sure if either would make a difference.

OP
Typical Tom
Thread Starter #3
I have had Koni Yellows and Swift springs for ~30k/~4 years on my '17 w/o issue. The drop with the Swifts isn't as much as the H&Rs. I also run them pretty stiff (for HPDE). Not sure if either would make a difference.
I had these same springs for 40k+ miles on the stock struts before switching to Koni Yellow. No noises with OEM. So I don't know. Maybe the Konis don't like these springs due to the aggressive drop? I drove 1500 miles shortly after installing them and hit some nasty bumps on the way. Then a couple months later started noticing some squeaks. Now another few months later they're infuriating and almost constant.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Maybe spray some silicone lube where the springs make contact with the struts?

Also, if it's only your front passenger side, are you sure it's not the motor mount? Have you modded/upgraded it? I never encountered noise with my motor mount, but the Powerflex insert wouldn't stay in place and I suppose that might create some noise.

OP
Typical Tom
Thread Starter #5
Maybe spray some silicone lube where the springs make contact with the struts?

Also, if it's only your front passenger side, are you sure it's not the motor mount? Have you modded/upgraded it? I never encountered noise with my motor mount, but the Powerflex insert wouldn't stay in place and I suppose that might create some noise.
The more I think about it and drive it the more I believe it's more than just the spring (if it's even that at all). I have no other modifications to the front end other than the H&R's, Koni's, and some OZ wheels. In the rear I have the PowerFlex purple spring pads.

Car is 5 years old with only 58K miles. Not sure if those mounts like to go this early? I'll have to see if I can get a second opinion or something. I'm not very mechanically inclined and don't have access to get under my car on my own right now so I'm at the mercy of the Ford dealer.

Thanks for the insight. I'll have to look into it whenever I can.

OP
Typical Tom
Thread Starter #7
Have you tried putting the rubber hose on the end of the spring to keep the spring from squeaking on the perch as suggested by Koni?
Not yet. As I had mentioned, I don't know if I want the Ford dealership tackling this. If they even would.

I have since looked back at the Whoosh product page and it's saying the Konis are not made for more than 35mm of lowering whereas the Super Sports I'm on lowered close to 50mm. This wasn't listed when I bought them (otherwise I wouldn't have).

What really throws me for a loop is my driver side doesn't make any noise (yet this is the side the tech showed me the spring moving freely in). So there's no way it's just the spring or even the spring at all. Because then I should hear it from the driver side too, right? I'm probably going to bring it back to Ford in a week or two and see if they can give the bushings/ball joint/other potential culprits another look. The clunks/squeaks have become more pronounced over the last ~4 months leading me to believe, once again, that it can't be the spring and it must be a wear item getting worse.