Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone annoyed with the windshield sprayer behavior?

As the title goes.... I've always hated how the wipers decides to go one more pass a few seconds after the main wiping during the spraying sequence, anyone else irritated by that? Always leaves a streak because the fluid is almost all evaporated when it does that.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Not that I've driven a ton of different vehicles, but I don't recall any washer experience that was perfectly executed. Wipers typically stop or start too soon or too late. I've seen sprayer problems ranging from clogged, to aiming at the hood, the roof, and even the car behind LoL...

That said, so far, this car is among the better. But that generally changes over time.

BTW, more than a decade ago, had some AutoZone washer fluid freeze in the reservoir. Had to thaw it out with a tad bit of rubbing alcohol. Last time I ever bought that stuff. I returned what was left to a store, left it on the counter, and walked right back out. Fortunately it didn't damage my reservoir; sprayer.

My 2011 Fiesta did that and I hated it, but my '19 ST does not do it (I haven't checked if it's a configurable option in the settings).

OP
thecman02
Thread Starter #7
Maybe I need to experiment with my washer fluid. I tend to be lazy and keep the aggressive antrifreeze windshield cleaner in there. Maybe if I switch to wash in the spring and summer months I'd be better served. Ideally I wish it was configurable. I guess I could dive deeper into the control circuit and see if I can change the module/controller to whatever MikeISS has on his '19.

Sam4

Maybe I need to experiment with my washer fluid. I tend to be lazy and keep the aggressive antrifreeze windshield cleaner in there. Maybe if I switch to wash in the spring and summer months I'd be better served. Ideally I wish it was configurable. I guess I could dive deeper into the control circuit and see if I can change the module/controller to whatever MikeISS has on his '19.
You sound like someone who would benefit from Rainex on the windshield. If you're OCD enough, it's awesome.

OP
thecman02
Thread Starter #9
You sound like someone who would benefit from Rainex on the windshield. If you're OCD enough, it's awesome.
I'm assuming your talking about the wiper spray fluid and not the manual applied stuff? I haven't tried that stuff, although I've had good luck with their windshield treatments.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Don't be shocked at the amount of crap that comes off your wipers when you gently run over them with a wet paper towel or rag. Occasionally wipe your wiper blades.

Also, always and immediately use glass cleaner on your windshield (and headlamps, tail lamps) after a car wash. The wax build up eventually creates visibility issues with windshields, and cloudiness with lamp housings.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I never have, and never will take this car through a drive through car wash, so I do not have to worry about that. [wink]

On the last few cold rainy days before it gets warm I use up (by spraying it out until empty) whatever Prestone Winter washer fluid is left in the reservoir.

Then I fill it with distilled water for the summer since I do not have to deal with June Bugs or Palmetto Bugs at all here, and I want the absolute least caustic liquid being sprayed on my paint in the blazing hot direct sunlight.

Same procedure in the fall to fill the winter fluid.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
That's a good idea as it may have the added benefit of clearing out the nozzles. Over the years the spray pattern seems to inevitably degrade. You probably don't see that.

I don't do the automatic washes either but I do use the ArmorAll wash'n wax products. Unlike most folks I wash when the vehicle has been wet all day or night from a rain; and do not rinse off the product after final application.

ORANGEST

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
The window washer\wiper thing that gets me the most... is when it's raining, I can have any window open except the driverside window... because of the way the wipers push water, it just ends up coming in through even a barely cracked window. I refuse to use those window weather guards as I don't smoke, don't like the look, and figure they're anti-aero.

Sam4

I'm assuming your talking about the wiper spray fluid and not the manual applied stuff? I haven't tried that stuff, although I've had good luck with their windshield treatments.
Nope. Hand applied, nothing in the tank. Keep your hands away from the wiper stalk. Drive over 40mph - presto!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That's a good idea as it may have the added benefit of clearing out the nozzles. Over the years the spray pattern seems to inevitably degrade. You probably don't see that.

I don't do the automatic washes either but I do use the ArmorAll wash'n wax products. Unlike most folks I wash when the vehicle has been wet all day or night from a rain; and do not rinse off the product after final application.
Yeah, given my current residence I MUST wash this thing ONLY when it rains, and IN the rain, using buckets and 3+ liter empty Poland Spring jugs filled with tap water to wash off most of the soap and letting the rain do the rest.

It only becomes a potential health problem when the temps are below ~50*F though.

OP
thecman02
Thread Starter #16
Nope. Hand applied, nothing in the tank. Keep your hands away from the wiper stalk. Drive over 40mph - presto!
Yeah. I already use window products. They do work great. My problem is this time of year the pollen is so bad I come to work with a perfectly clean car, and go outside and the pollen is so thick you can't see out the window. Hit the squirters and I can see through a perfectly clean window until it decides to do the "finishing pass" . If my car was runniing I'd give you guys a video of the phenomena.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah. I already use window products. They do work great. My problem is this time of year the pollen is so bad I come to work with a perfectly clean car, and go outside and the pollen is so thick you can't see out the window. Hit the squirters and I can see through a perfectly clean window until it decides to do the "finishing pass" . If my car was runniing I'd give you guys a video of the phenomena.
I have to wait until the sun goes down and the windshield cools off A LOT before attacking said vision blocking tree pollen.

If I even try to get it off in the bright sun/heat, it just streaks and smears, and then DRIES all over the windshield, making the outward vision even worse yet. [mad]