Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone else have a broken spoiler?

Spork1569

At first I thought it was caused by the wing risers causing too much vibration through the wing and causing the joints to break on my spoiler, as at that point only the left most joint was broken. Ever since then I've been trying to be as gentle with the hatch as possible.

Recently I noticed a bit more play in the spoiler when closing the hatch and I inspected it over the weekend and found all the joints had broken except for one, and the spoiler was basically held in by the bolts near the middle only.

Lookong to buy a replacement spoiler nearby but was wondering if anyone's dealt with anything similar, and if so how to prevent it next time?

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Ive run wing risers on my car for about 3 years and have had no issues. I give my wing a "sturdiness" shake ever so often, but no slack to report.

I too worried about extra stresses, but i routinely hit triple digit speeds (for a few seconds!) and the wing is still holding on.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #3
Ive run wing risers on my car for about 3 years and have had no issues. I give my wing a "sturdiness" shake ever so often, but no slack to report.

I too worried about extra stresses, but i routinely hit triple digit speeds (for a few seconds!) and the wing is still holding on.

Maybe I just got some bad luck in the QC department, or the previous owner lived to beat the spoiler with a bat in his free time or something lol

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
My son had one support break. I was able to fill the whole area with a epoxy putty to hold the support back in place and it worked great. You may be able to repair yours this way. As to yours breaking, the only think I can think of is that something was forced flush using the bolts thus causing localized stressing. It takes a bit of finesse to get all the standoffs to sit flush at the same time.

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #5
My son had one support break. I was able to fill the whole area with a epoxy putty to hold the support back in place and it worked great. You may be able to repair yours this way. As to yours breaking, the only think I can think of is that something was forced flush using the bolts thus causing localized stressing. It takes a bit of finesse to get all the standoffs to sit flush at the same time.

I managed to epoxy the first one that broke and it lasted a good while, but it seems that the rest of the supports that broke crumbled around the area where the bolts screw into the wing, around the rubber portion as opposed to a clean break like the first.

Managed to find a spoiler nearby on CL so here's hoping the next one fairs better.

SrsBsns

So do you think that it was caused by the wing risers? I'm asking because I have a set in the mail right now but I wouldn't want to install them if they lead to the wing breaking.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
So do you think that it was caused by the wing risers? I'm asking because I have a set in the mail right now but I wouldn't want to install them if they lead to the wing breaking.
The wing risers give just so slight rake that it may add downward forces that the factory fastening system was not designed to take.

Maybe somebody slammed the hatch closed by the wing?

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #8
I can't really say, RubenZZZ mentions he has no issues and I can't definitively say if it was the risers as only one of the supports broke while they were on, and the rest broke while in the stock position.

I'll have to look into what Kivnul said about stressing the joints and hope it doesn't happen on the new wing.

This actually just happened to mine, I'm not sure it was the wing risers fault though. It happened on the outermost left and right screws. I put it back to stock, took it to Ford, and they are replacing it under 3 year warranty.

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #10
This actually just happened to mine, I'm not sure it was the wing risers fault though. It happened on the outermost left and right screws. I put it back to stock, took it to Ford, and they are replacing it under 3 year warranty.
Good thing you still have the warranty, I'm thinking of keeping mine as is since I run it stock, it doesn't look any different. If those center 2 bolts ever fail then maybe I'll look at replacement.

I also started bracing my spoiler when I close the hatch now in an effort to lower the vibration.