Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

anyone getting weird tire wear when autocrossing?

Hello,

I've been noticing I've been getting the outside edge of my tire wearing a lot faster then the center of the tire. I even ended up cording the outside edge. When I got it aligned I had 0.9 degrees negative camber up front and 0 toe. The tires I was running were the falken azenis 660RTs in 215/45/16. I even ran super high pressures in the front (48 psi). Anyone else experience this? Or have some idea on how to prevent this. I felt like these tires could of had a lot more runs in the outside edge didn't cord.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Sorry to hear about that. I don't autoX but I do go to the track. I have camber bolts in front and camber plates in back, so I'm running ~ +2 degrees negative -- no wear issues, and it really helps in the twisties.

OP
F
Thread Starter #3
Sorry to hear about that. I don't autoX but I do go to the track. I have camber bolts in front and camber plates in back, so I'm running ~ +2 degrees negative -- no wear issues, and it really helps in the twisties.
I can't run those for the class i run in.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
You are describing normal wear at autox. Even at 2.3 degrees camber I remount the tires at the tire shop to make the outsides the inside after half a season to get a full year out of a set of re71’s. Less aggressive driving could help but that’s no fun. ;)

Can confirm, an enthusiastic autocross season on stock alignment completely destroys outside shoulders (especially on front tires). If you have a chance, see if you can get someone to take a photo of your car in the middle of an aggressive turn and take a look what the tire is doing.

Thats why symmetric tires like RE71r are nice since you can flip them inside out, effectively doubling the life span (maybe you can do the same with asymmetric tires, but I haven't tried). Increasing pressures help a bit but then at some point you start losing the traction.

EDIT: Here's 205/50r16 at about 45psi. This tire set did much better than stocks, but even here, you can tell the shoulder area is going to get it especially if you're peeling out of the corner.
1622517844369.png

Last edited: