Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone have any luck having a 3rd party install backup camera?

Spork1569

I've been meaning to get a camera for my 16' Fist and enabling it through forscan, though I've never done anything to do with splicing/electronics to any car before, project may seem a bit out of my comfort zone.

Anyone have any luck paying a professional to do it without having to replace the entire head unit(pretty fond of my sync 3 system).

If not is instillatiom pretty idiot proof, or are my worries rooted within reason?(not trying to brick the car)

Location is in socal if it makes a difference.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
It's not difficult. The biggest challenge is to route the video cable to the head unit. It doesn't make sense to pay a couple of hundred dollars (I'm guessing) to install a $20 part.

To make your life easier, you can purchase a $50 harness that has the video jack already spliced in, making the hardware connection a simple plug in.

Yes, you will need to mess with the FORSCAN, but "while you're there", you can change the splash screen to the ST logo.

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #3
It's not difficult. The biggest challenge is to route the video cable to the head unit. It doesn't make sense to pay a couple of hundred dollars (I'm guessing) to install a $20 part.

To make your life easier, you can purchase a $50 harness that has the video jack already spliced in, making the hardware connection a simple plug in.

Yes, you will need to mess with the FORSCAN, but "while you're there", you can change the splash screen to the ST logo.
Did you have the name of the harness? Never came across it when reading the backup camera thread, that would help a ton.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
It is in the threads - I have done it awhile ago, and am too lazy to dig it up. It's the same company that wants to charge you $1400 for the hardware package for a SYNC 3 conversion. If you absolutely can't find it, let me know.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #6
Here is the part: https://www.4dtech.com/ford-camera-input-harness-for-sync-2-3-8-screens/
$59.99 shipped

I reprogrammed the ECU or whatever CU is responsible for the camera using FORSCAN. If you don't want to futz with that, 4D tech sells a doohickey to do the progamming: https://www.4dtech.com/rear-camera-programmer-for-sync-2-3-8-screen/ You can buy the 2 as a bundle, for $10 cheaper.
I may end up going that route for ease of install. I think for the money on the dohickey I'll give forscan a shot.

Now just gotta watch a YouTube video on how to tap into the reverse light correctly.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I may end up going that route for ease of install. I think for the money on the dohickey I'll give forscan a shot.

Now just gotta watch a YouTube video on how to tap into the reverse light correctly.
Tapping into the reverse lights is simple. It helps if you have a volt/multimeter. Just turn the power on and switch into the reverse gear - you'll see where the switched 12V wire is.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club

To go back to your original question as to whether this is"idiot proof". Not quite - not if the "idiot" is armed with an initiative and a dangerous tool... [emoji23]

This is to say that if you're going to mess with the FORSCAN, follow the instructions closely - and, above all, save the status quo configuration! You'll be messing with the hex code, and this is essentially brain surgery - also, the actual values of the strings are in some cases debated. Worked for me - but, I'm an engineering type and anal.

If you never messed with something like this and are easily distracted - [emoji6]- this could be $150 well spent.

Just sayin'.

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #9
To go back to your original question as to whether this is"idiot proof". Not quite - not if the "idiot" is armed with an initiative and a dangerous tool... [emoji23]

This is to say that if you're going to mess with the FORSCAN, follow the instructions closely - and, above all, save the status quo configuration! You'll be messing with the hex code, and this is essentially brain surgery - also, the actual values of the strings are in some cases debated. Worked for me - but, I'm an engineering type and anal.

If you never messed with something like this and are easily distracted - [emoji6]- this could be $150 well spent.

Just sayin'.
I was planning to have an engineering buddy of mine help with the parts I'm not as used to, as well as following the instructions as close as possible.

Do You know if a tune would affect Ford an values that show, and if so is it better to revert to stock before. Messing with the code?