Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone know where the TPMS receiver is on our cars? Trying to pair TPMS Bypass device

Does anyone know where the TPMS receiver is in the Fiesta STs? Specifically, the part in the car that's responsible for listening to each of the 4 TPMS sensors on the wheels...

I'm trying to set up this TPMS Bypass device I recently bought and am having trouble getting it paired to my ST. I can get into the pair mode (screen shows "Pair left front tire" and the horn chirps), but can't seem to get the car to see the Bypass device, and their support is asking me to hold it next to the car's TPMS Receiver/Antenna.

Thanks in advance!

OP
M
Thread Starter #3
In this video, they hold their bypass device near the steering wheel to demonstrate it. Then they put it it the glovebox because the receiver is behind the glovebox.

View: https://youtu.be/ek4rZ6PHLFk
Thanks! Yes conveniently (or not?) their demo video is also a Fiesta, but a UK one. I'm wondering if the US spec Fiestas are the same. I tried holding the bypass device near both the steering wheel and the glovebox and nothing...

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Considering what the box looks like, it's going to be in the dash somewhere. And considering the TPMS in your tires, at the corners of the car, are in range of its radio, your defeat device should also be in range. Unless it's not working properly. Or the batteries are in backwards. Or something like that. Perhaps it's significant that the video spends 75% of the time getting the device ready and only a short amount of time actually training the TPMS to the device.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Is this device used in lieu of using Forscan (to totally 'write out' the TPMS dash light) by disabling the TPMS system when not using the transmitters in one's wheels, or something else?? [dunno] [???:)]

SteveS

1000 Post Club
If it operates like the one in the video, it is emulating the four tpms sensors so the BCU thinks all four tires are correctly inflated.

I have seen one homemade device which you put four TPMS sensors in and then pressurize and leave inside the car after training all four sensors.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If it operates like the one in the video, it is emulating the four tpms sensors so the BCU thinks all four tires are correctly inflated.

I have seen one homemade device which you put four TPMS sensors in and then pressurize and leave inside the car after training all four sensors.
That would co$t a bit more than Forscan.

But I could see some using either one of those methods if they have the fear of 'crashing' (or is it 'blanking'?, I forgot the term everyone uses on here) their ECM/BCM from a mistake made while using Forscan.

OP
M
Thread Starter #9
Thank you both!

I guess the part that throws me off is that the seller says I don't need to use the handheld TPMS tool when using this. I've tried having this by the steering wheel, by the glove box, by each of the tires to no avail, so I'm wondering if the thing even works :(

Yes, it basically emulates a set of 4 TPMS sensors at a fixed pressure reading, without having a pipe bomb in the car. It's also slightly cheaper than 4 actual (aftermarket) TPMS sensors, but probably more expensive than a Forscan change yes.

OP
M
Thread Starter #10
What's the point of what you are trying to do, OP?
To try and use this TPMS bypass box I just purchased in lieu of TPMS sensors in my wheels/tires. I have had horrible luck with aftermarket ones (for winter wheels/tires) and even though Tire Rack has been nice to send me one a year to replace for free, they don't cover the cost of unmounting/mounting the tire from the wheel to replace the TPMS sensor.

I guess Forscan would have been an alternative, but the videos make the TPMS bypass boxes look so easy..

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Seems crazy to me to bypass a safety item on the car when just fixing it would be a simple solution. I've never had to replace my TPMS sensors and if I did I'd certainly spring for the stock Ford ones which seem to work well. Crazy things people do to their vehicles...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I check my tire pressures twice a week.

TPMS is useless to me, and a pain, since I have so many sets of wheels which I might run far out of the pressure range set in the sensors.

And sorry, but their batteries do NOT 'last forever'.

I can tell by road feel if a tire is going down in real time, so not really a 'safety feature' for me.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
If you are just trying to disable it, rather than route the signal(s) to another source, then ForScan is wayyy easier and faster.

OP
M
Thread Starter #14
Seems crazy to me to bypass a safety item on the car when just fixing it would be a simple solution. I've never had to replace my TPMS sensors and if I did I'd certainly spring for the stock Ford ones which seem to work well. Crazy things people do to their vehicles...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'm guessing you don't have to deal with winter tires/wheels. OEM TPMS sensors are easily $100-200/pop (per wheel). Well known brands seem to exist at $35/wheel from TireRack, but I've just not had luck with those batteries. Plus, the batteries are not designed to be replaceable, even by a tire shop, so when the batteries on them go, you have to replace the whole TPMS sensor.

And as M-Sport fan said, I check my own tire pressures. I was raised to do it that way and can continue to do it that way. On the ST, the TPMS doesn't even give you a pressure reading, only that they're low anyways, pretty useless.

OP
M
Thread Starter #15
Another question I do have is, does the US spec ST have any passive TPMS sensor learning capability like on some Dodge vehicles? The seller asked me to drive for 5-30 mins at 15mph+ / 30mph+ and then try to program it. Not sure if that would make any difference?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
And as M-Sport fan said, I check my own tire pressures. I was raised to do it that way and can continue to do it that way. On the ST, the TPMS doesn't even give you a pressure reading, only that they're low anyways, pretty useless.
Yes, if the Ford system was like GM's, and gave an actual pressure reading on each wheel, I would possibly use it.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
It seems to me; if all you want to do is shut off the TPMS light and you don't really care as to why it is on.
My suggestion is just getting over the fact that it is on or put a piece of black tape over it.
Both of these are a LOT cheaper.

BTW: As per the service manual, the TPMS is part of the BCM.

Last edited:

Black Fists Matter

U.S. Navy Veteran
I bought the TPMS from WMS for my snow wheels/tires. First the sensors needed to be programmed. Then connected to the car. You can get a programming tool from Amazon for about $150 that programs and connects. Once programmed all you need is a connecting tool also on Amazon for less than twenty dollars. Make sure you get the one for the Ford Fiesta. https://www.amazon.com/Autel-TS401-Activation-MX-sensor-Programming/dp/B00AERMVYC
https://www.amazon.com/JDiag-Relearn-EL50448-Pressure-Sensor/dp/B076KL82JP
Hope that helps you.