Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone running the Injen SP intake for 2016+?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
First, I know it doesn't really do anything for performance. I get that. I moved to the ST from an Abarth and I miss the Abarths auditory drama and I want my juvenile turbo sounds, they make me happy.

The 2j intake being a cowl intake is going to be too loud for a daily (I've been in another owners abarth with a cowl intake, the noise was awesome but absurd for a daily). Looking at the designs, the Injen looks to be the next most "open" for a 2016+... Does anyone have any feedback on the 2016+ injen?

http://www.modbargains.com/Injen-wrinkle-black-SP-Air-Intake-Ford-Fiesta-ST-SP9018WB.htm

I am leery of sucking in hot engine bay air, but the Injen looks like it has an intake shield and after installation I can add some more weather stripping. I looked at the Cobb and Mountune but they both seem really quiet.

Any thoughts/opinions? Again, I know the intake isn't adding anything performance-wise. I just want it as a noisemaker/enjoyment enhancer.

I just bought the car a few days ago, so I'm not too mod crazy yet but in the short time I'm planning for intake, GFB DV+ (have had on last few turbo cars, I'm a believer).

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
First, I know it doesn't really do anything for performance. I get that. I moved to the ST from an Abarth and I miss the Abarths auditory drama and I want my juvenile turbo sounds, they make me happy.

The 2j intake being a cowl intake is going to be too loud for a daily (I've been in another owners abarth with a cowl intake, the noise was awesome but absurd for a daily). Looking at the designs, the Injen looks to be the next most "open" for a 2016+... Does anyone have any feedback on the 2016+ injen?

http://www.modbargains.com/Injen-wrinkle-black-SP-Air-Intake-Ford-Fiesta-ST-SP9018WB.htm

I am leery of sucking in hot engine bay air, but the Injen looks like it has an intake shield and after installation I can add some more weather stripping. I looked at the Cobb and Mountune but they both seem really quiet.

Any thoughts/opinions? Again, I know the intake isn't adding anything performance-wise. I just want it as a noisemaker/enjoyment enhancer.

I just bought the car a few days ago, so I'm not too mod crazy yet but in the short time I'm planning for intake, GFB DV+ (have had on last few turbo cars, I'm a believer).

You have the right idea with the GFB diverter valve upgrade. The price of that Injen housing and filter is a bit much for what you'll receive in return unless noise is what you're after. There is a full Injen intake that replaces the piping from the turbo to the air filter for a few more dollars just as an FYI

A good drop in filter (I sell and suggest RAMAIR) is all you need for the stock air box and maybe the ST200 OEM upgraded air box would be better money spent in my opinion.

Or if you want noise, a much better brand of intake is the ITG which you'll only find on my site along with the other UK goodies for your Fiesta

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopify.com/collections/2014-2017-ford-fiesta-st?page=2

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
You have the right idea with the GFB diverter valve upgrade. The price of that Injen housing and filter is a bit much for what you'll receive in return unless noise is what you're after. There is a full Injen intake that replaces the piping from the turbo to the air filter for a few more dollars just as an FYI

A good drop in filter (I sell and suggest RAMAIR) is all you need for the stock air box and maybe the ST200 OEM upgraded air box would be better money spent in my opinion.

Or if you want noise, a much better brand of intake is the ITG which you'll only find on my site along with the other UK goodies for your Fiesta

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopify.com/collections/2014-2017-ford-fiesta-st?page=2
Love the GFB DV+ - after taking apart almost any stock diverter and seeing the plastic-to-metal sealing surfaces the GFB is easy to rationalize even without the helper spring. With the helper spring it fixed the rubbery 1-2 shift on my abarth - I've noticed the same rubbery feel on the 1-2 shift with my new ST, so I'm an easy sell on the GFB.

Hm - I was looking at the injen because it was listed for 2016+, but the injen that has more piping says 2015-below... If I went with the 2015 below I think I'd need the adapter kit to use it without CEL?

I was looking at modbargains just because they're 15 minutes from my house, I'll go research the ITG as well. I like the design of the mountune and Cobb intakes but from looking at how they're plumbed it looks like they'll be a lot quieter.

Argh you don't carry the GFB in the whoosh store :(

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Love the GFB DV+ - after taking apart almost any stock diverter and seeing the plastic-to-metal sealing surfaces the GFB is easy to rationalize even without the helper spring. With the helper spring it fixed the rubbery 1-2 shift on my abarth - I've noticed the same rubbery feel on the 1-2 shift with my new ST, so I'm an easy sell on the GFB.

Hm - I was looking at the injen because it was listed for 2016+, but the injen that has more piping says 2015-below... If I went with the 2015 below I think I'd need the adapter kit to use it without CEL?

I was looking at modbargains just because they're 15 minutes from my house, I'll go research the ITG as well. I like the design of the mountune and Cobb intakes but from looking at how they're plumbed it looks like they'll be a lot quieter.

I sell the cheapest GFB anywhere you'll find
https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopify.com/collections/2014-2017-ford-fiesta-st/products/go-fast-bits-diverter-valve-dv-ford-fiesta-ecoboost-direct-replacement

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account

and you are correct on the 2014-2015 Injen intake I mentioned. You'll need to swap over to the 2014-2015 evap harness or pick up one of my evap fix kits to run a 2014-2015 intake on your 2016 and up Fiesta

The ST200 air box and ITG intake is compatible with 2014-2017 Fiestas by the way....

Ron does carry the GFB in the store, I bought one yesterday :)

As for intake noise, I just removed my Cobb intake as it got a little loud for my tastes after the X37 install. However, after removing and putting stock back in, the noise is still there so I'm leaning more toward it being from the Turbosmart BOV. I will say, with the Cobb, it was still loud and audible, but not obnoxious. I guess it really depends on just how loud you want it to be.

If you want volume and the absolute best performance, that's probably the ITG intake simply because the foam filter is almost out of the engine bay area all together. But for middle of the pack in terms of noise, but top of the pack in quality, I'd say Mishimoto, Cobb, or CP-E. But I guess it's all a preference in the end.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
woops, I was searching for GFB, not Go Fast Bits :facepalm: sorry guys, search fail :p

I've added it to my list. Still waiting for a settlement check from Fiat before I start investing in mods.

It may not mean much but I’m running the full Injen intake on my 2015 and ... it sounds great but it is utterly useless as far as intake temps are concerned. So much so that I’m gonna look elsewhere when I magically get money again. Probably cp-e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fha

Highly Recommend Ron. If you want good intake and sound CPE intake Ron carries is a good one as well. So far Ron has earned my business just by answering my IC questions via email quickly. Rocking his IC and Depo Charge pipes. :D!

Going order more goodies from Ron here when summer hits. Winter makes me not want to install parts too cold in the garage.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
I had to do some research - I think I’ll go with the itg maxogen from whoosh... but I think I’ll wait to see if there are any Black Friday deals. I don’t want a repeat of what happened with my fiat, I couldn’t decide which intake so I bought all the popular ones to try them all out myself lol

PITA selling the other ones after I decided :D

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
ok well apparently when i try to edit a post, ANYWHERE I click on the page deletes the post.

So, I will type it all out again.

I have been trying for a few hours to install this intake, there are two sticking points.
1. My wiring harness is much shorter than the one pictured in both the (absolutely awful, detailed below) ITG installation instructions, and a youtube video of another owner installing the intake. I have solicited feedback here http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...ntakes-post-pics-of-this-part-of-your-harness so I can get some pictures for a/b comparison. If I install it as pictured, there is a LOT of strain on the wiring harness, wires are pulled tight at a right angle right out of the harness clip and there is no possible slack.

2. In all of the installation instructions I am able to find myself, the hood release cable is not visible. In my car, the hood release cable goes right under a piece of plastic you are supposed to zip tie down flat. If I do this, it's very difficult to pop the hood.

As far as the instructions - there was no parts manifest listed in their installation directions. There were no installation directions in the box, simply a card that said to look at their website for directions. The directions themselves have vague descriptions of processes involved, and all of the photographs are too close to be able to identify what we're looking at or where we're supposed to be looking. I would've identified the issue with the wiring harness MUCH sooner if the installation instructions are better.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
As a follow-up. The ITG Maxogen intake does not fit a 2017 us-spec fiesta ST without substantially unwrapping and rerouting the factory wiring harness. I don't know about 2016's, but my 2017's harness does not have the long slack loop of wiring that is shown in the installation instructions. Even unwrapping the harness and rerouting it places wires from the main harness directly against the squared metal bracket that supports the harness, which doesn't seem very safe for long-term functionality of the car.