Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ATP GTX2860 Gen 2 Turbo Kit Discussion

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Howdy Everyone,

I have been having an issue that appears to be specific to the ATP GTX2860 Gen 2 turbo kit for the Fiesta/Focus. I also noticed that this forum doesn't have a discussion thread for the ATP GTX2860 Gen 2 turbo kit despite a lot of folks on here running this kit. I would like to talk with owners about my issue but also want this to be a place to post anything related to this turbo (issues, comments, dyno charts, vdyno charts, etc.).

For the third time in the 12K miles I have been running this turbo, two of the five 12-point bolts that hold the downpipe adapter (ugly piece welded up by ATP) to the turbine exit and allows one to bolt up a fiesta downpipe with the OEM-style flange. The result of these bolts getting loose is an exhaust leak that, if not detected immediately, results in exhaust entering the cabin of the vehicle if HVAC is on in the car.

I have spoken to a number of fiesta and focus owners (mostly via FB) that have installed ATP turbo kits on this car and a number of them have also had this problem. I also know the Mountune turbo kit folks have had a similar issue and that brings me to my specificproblem.

The three bolts that do not get loose on the turbo also happen to be the ones that are not accessible with a 12-point wrench (one of which is circled in the attached photo). In order to remove the downpipe adapter and install an alternative adapter with the Stage 8 locking hardware (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00776GZDQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and 8MMx1.25 studs, these bolts needs to come out. All the while I am hoping to do all of this with the turbo on the car. Short of cutting off the head of these Grade 12.9 bolts (which I am sure will take hours) what can I do to remove these bolts?

Has anybody had a similar problem and if so, what did you do? I have already tried using red loctite on the replacement bolts but the turbine gets way too hot for this to do anything. The bolts still loosen, fall out, and an exhaust leak occurs. All solutions I can think of (Stage 8 hardware or safety wire) require removing all 5 points and unfortunately, 3 of them are inaccessible. I have an email out to ATP asking what tool they use to install these bolts and also if they plan to address this problem at any time.

Attachments

wetwea33

I don't run the kit but I know mountune now sells a set of expensive locking fasteners for the mrx but they should work similarly for the atp kit because the mrx is just a modified atp kit.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
I don't run the kit but I know mountune now sells a set of expensive locking fasteners for the mrx but they should work similarly for the atp kit because the mrx is just a modified atp kit.

Correct, the stage 8 kit that I linked in my original post includes the same components from the Mountune locking hardware kit. The problem is still how to get the original bolts out. And who else is having the problem.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm afraid to say....Time to remove the Turbo. I have the Gen2 also. I haven't encountered this problem as of yet...its Been 10k. I'll check them all again the next time I'm under there like I always do. I'll use my Boroscope to really get at some of those odd positioned bolts.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Se7eN

Mine is MRX, one of the studs from the bottom actually fell out completely after it got loose. I went ahead and replaced 2 of the bottom ones with Exhaust bolts I had lying around and haven't had any further issues. Also Re-tightened everything, every oil change I check the tightness, so far it's held.

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #6
Yeah, I am considering the fact that if I remove the turbo, it's not going back on again and I will move on to the TT s280. ATP has been useless and it is just really frustrating that they design an adapter that has bolts that cannot be accessed at all.

wetwea33

Yeah, I am considering the fact that if I remove the turbo, it's not going back on again and I will move on to the TT s280. ATP has been useless and it is just really frustrating that they design an adapter that has bolts that cannot be accessed at all.
Just installed mine. I ran into issues mainly due to my lack of reading lol but it's a clean setup and relatively straight forward. It fits pretty great.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just installed mine. I ran into issues mainly due to my lack of reading lol but it's a clean setup and relatively straight forward. It fits pretty great.

can also confirm fitment on this turbo, fantastic kit.

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #9
I'm afraid to say....Time to remove the Turbo. I have the Gen2 also. I haven't encountered this problem as of yet...its Been 10k. I'll check them all again the next time I'm under there like I always do. I'll use my Boroscope to really get at some of those odd positioned bolts.

Did you ever get a dyno graph from your final tune on E50? Would love to see where your turbo starts spooling and makes peak torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
In the process of Tuning again on Mn gas as its alittle different than So.carolina gas....I am spooling around 20psi by 4k. When it's all done again I'll scrounge them up.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I do also wipe Butts for a living....nothing like a clean ass.

Last edited:

Se7eN

Only problem I have had with self loosening hardware was the manifold to turbo v-band adapter. This specific problem you're having I haven't experienced
Had that one as well. went with a 1.5" bolt and a locking nut on top of the 2 back holes. make it like the front one that already has the locking nut.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
If you’re going down that path why not consider one of the ATP fix-it kits: http://pwnallperformance.com/Fiesta-ST-ATP-Turbo-Conversion-Kit_p_108.html

It’s a catless converter, though...

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #16
If you’re going down that path why not consider one of the ATP fix-it kits: http://pwnallperformance.com/Fiesta-ST-ATP-Turbo-Conversion-Kit_p_108.html

It’s a catless converter, though...
Didn't know this existed. Any word on if anyone is using it? It's pricy, and I would probably go the Peron route if I was going to spend this kind of money.

I am sort of underwhelmed by the spool - especially hearing that @TyphoonFiST is only seeing 20PSIG by 4K RPM. The S280 is spooling 500RPM sooner on 93 octane and I almost think we could see as high as 380WHP. I am trying to decide if I should finish my E50 tune once I get the bolts tightened up good or just switch again.

wetwea33

Didn't know this existed. Any word on if anyone is using it? It's pricy, and I would probably go the Peron route if I was going to spend this kind of money.

I am sort of underwhelmed by the spool - especially hearing that @TyphoonFiST is only seeing 20PSIG by 4K RPM. The S280 is spooling 500RPM sooner on 93 octane and I almost think we could see as high as 380WHP. I am trying to decide if I should finish my E50 tune once I get the bolts tightened up good or just switch again.
Spending that kind of money on a turbo kit for a fiesta is ludicrous.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Its great... I'm saving my Tires and drivetrain from shock and its ball bearing...what's not to like? ..I'm not going to wax intellectual about this. Things can always be changed to add or subtract spool.....people around here change Turbos like underwear at a taco bar in Tijuana. Then they sell the car....not a True enthusiast IMO.

Last edited:
OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #19
Its great... I'm saving my Tires and drivetrain from shock and its ball bearing...what's not to like? ..I'm not going to wax intellectual about this. Things can always be changed to add or subtract spool.....people around here change Turbos like underwear at a taco bar in Tijuana. Then they sell the car....not a True enthusiast IMO.

I won’t be selling my car. But thanks for your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk