Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ATP oil feed to s280

Does anyone know if the ATP steel braided oil feed line is compatible with the s280 turbo? My turbo blew due to Oil starvation, and my mechanic suspects that because of my airtec Manifold it gets the stock line so hot that it can bend under that pressure

I run stock line with zero issues. Over 45k miles. I have the airtec exhaust manifold.

The inlet oil pressure to the turbo isn't very high. It's from the head so it's not even near as high as the pressure at the oil pump, then further restricted by the line. That's a pretty hair brained theory to me.

I would ask him if he has disassembled the turbo and saw the telltale signs of oil starvation. Any competent mechanic should be able to identify oil starvation/overheat, contamination, foreign objects, etc. A turbo, a cylinder head, it all looks.thr same.

If you don't have to run an aftermarket line, I would always avoid it. The line, it's size, it's location, and any orifice features were engineered to provide proper inlet pressure range for a bw journal bearing system. An aftermarket line is just whatever -3 or -4 line they have sitting around cut to length, with universal fittings crimped on....

Last edited:
OP
C
Thread Starter #5
I run stock line with zero issues. Over 45k miles. I have the airtec exhaust manifold.

The inlet oil pressure to the turbo isn't very high. It's from the head so it's not even near as high as the pressure at the oil pump, then further restricted by the line. That's a pretty hair brained theory to me.

I would ask him if he has disassembled the turbo and saw the telltale signs of oil starvation. Any competent mechanic should be able to identify oil starvation/overheat, contamination, foreign objects, etc. A turbo, a cylinder head, it all looks.thr same.

If you don't have to run an aftermarket line, I would always avoid it. The line, it's size, it's location, and any orifice features were engineered to provide proper inlet pressure range for a bw journal bearing system. An aftermarket line is just whatever -3 or -4 line they have sitting around cut to length, with universal fittings crimped on....
But do you have your airtec manifold heat wrapped? The turbo has been oil starved proven already by turbo technics, got it rebuild and reinstalling now. We’re just trying to figure out where we went wrong last time to have the oil line kink at the Braided section. I think he may have Kinked it when he took it out, but he swears it wasnt like that when he installed it. Mind you i did not get a new one though. So it was og line from 2018 so were just trying to figure out how not to have that happen again and chasing all possible options

But do you have your airtec manifold heat wrapped? The turbo has been oil starved proven already by turbo technics, got it rebuild and reinstalling now. We’re just trying to figure out where we went wrong last time to have the oil line kink at the Braided section. I think he may have Kinked it when he took it out, but he swears it wasnt like that when he installed it. Mind you i did not get a new one though. So it was og line from 2018 so were just trying to figure out how not to have that happen again and chasing all possible options
Coated. But only more recently. I had the entire car apart for major overhaul and upgrades. I bought my current fiesta with the manifold and turbo on it to replace my very similar fiesta that was hit and totaled. I understand youre chasing all the problems, and I hope you find it. But I seriously doubt heat on the oil line caused oil starvation condition.

Of course the mechanic is sure he didn't kink the kinked line during install.......

Btw, it's cheap insurance to always I stall a new oil feed line when you install a new turbo. By all means run the atp line if you want. It will be fine. You need a new line anyways. But a new stock line is totally fine too. For Cheap insurance, and plenty of benefit,and you already have the car apart; coat the turbine and manifold. Throw a heat sleeve over your oil feed. As long as the tech doesn't kink the line again, you should be okay......

Btw, I don't know why the forum gives.me a Puerto Rican flag. I love in, and have my location listed as st. Louis Missouri.

Last edited:
OP
C
Thread Starter #7
Coated. But only more recently. I had the entire car apart for major overhaul and upgrades. I bought my current fiesta with the manifold and turbo on it to replace my very similar fiesta that was hit and totaled. I understand youre chasing all the problems, and I hope you find it. But I seriously doubt heat on the oil line caused oil starvation condition.

Of course the mechanic is sure he didn't kink the kinked line during install.......

Btw, it's cheap insurance to always I stall a new oil feed line when you install a new turbo. By all means run the atp line if you want. It will be fine. You need a new line anyways. But a new stock line is totally fine too. For Cheap insurance, and plenty of benefit,and you already have the car apart; coat the turbine and manifold. Throw a heat sleeve over your oil feed. As long as the tech doesn't kink the line again, you should be okay......

Btw, I don't know why the forum gives.me a Puerto Rican flag. I love in, and have my location listed as st. Louis Missouri.
You’re a character man ! Haha. Im gonna call TT and see if they ok the atp line, my airtec is coated already but gonna throw some wrap on the manifold n the feed line. Thanks man for the informative post !

You’re a character man ! Haha. Im gonna call TT and see if they ok the atp line, my airtec is coated already but gonna throw some wrap on the manifold n the feed line. Thanks man for the informative post !

That's great that it's coated. It's a really good setup you have. I hope you have much better luck this time around. The airtec manifold goes a long way to improving imap x emap ratio. Which is sort of an Achilles heel for these modern quick spooling, direct injection turbo engines.

I'd replace the line. There is no guarantee the kink even caused oil starvation unless it was pretty severe and you tested it off the car. Could be debris in the line or more likely, a fitting if it was debris.

It wouldn't hurt to make sure there isn't a larger problem though. The turbo is very sensetive to oil starvation, and if often like a canary in a coal mine for a larger problem. So if you can't definitively trace the failure to a feed line or something, I'd just have the technician do rudimentary mechanical checks of oil pressure and system health for peace of mind. Maybe check pressure at the feed line as well. Especially if using an aftermarket line. You don't want it too high either. It can push oil past the piston ring or rings on the turbine shaft. You porbably don't want to roll coal under boost....

Last edited:
OP
C
Thread Starter #9
That's great that it's coated. It's a really good setup you have. I hope you have much better luck this time around. The airtec manifold goes a long way to improving imap x emap ratio. Which is sort of an Achilles heel for these modern quick spooling, direct injection turbo engines.

I'd replace the line. There is no guarantee the kink even caused oil starvation unless it was pretty severe and you tested it off the car. Could be debris in the line or more likely, a fitting if it was debris.

It wouldn't hurt to make sure there isn't a larger problem though. The turbo is very sensetive to oil starvation, and if often like a canary in a coal mine for a larger problem. So if you can't definitively trace the failure to a feed line or something, I'd just have the technician do rudimentary mechanical checks of oil pressure and system health for peace of mind. Maybe check pressure at the feed line as well. Especially if using an aftermarket line. You don't want it too high either. It can push oil past the piston ring or rings on the turbine shaft. You porbably don't want to roll coal under boost....
so the oil feedline is actually kinked pretty severely. it literally bends with ease the way its not suppusto, and you can see that its blown out in the middle. The car is a 2018 with 20,000 miles on it so I really don’t think it could be the car but there’s always that percent chance that it could be

so the oil feedline is actually kinked pretty severely. it literally bends with ease the way its not suppusto, and you can see that its blown out in the middle. The car is a 2018 with 20,000 miles on it so I really don’t think it could be the car but there’s always that percent chance that it could be
Yea that sounds bad. It's sorta best practice to be replacing the line regardless with a fresh turbo. Personally, I'd use an OEM line.

The atp line is probably a straight -3 or -4 line. Atp turbos have a restrictor fitting to control oil inlet pressure. So the line doesn't need any attention to run a ball bearing turbo. Its probably worth it to take the extra 20 minutes to check oil pressure coming out of the atp line if you use it and make sure it's not above maybe 35 or 40psi. If it is, use some kind of restrictor to bring that down to a safe pressure for a standard bearing type. The OEM lines are typically already built to deliver proper range of oil pressure. Either way you go, you can throw a sleeve on the line if you're worried about radiant heat transfer.

Hope you have better luck this go around. I really like the airtec/s280/aux combo on my car.