Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bad AC compressor?

Have any of you experienced compressor failure? I have a 2016 FiST and my AC 1st gave me an issue two weeks ago where it was blowing cold one day and then the next day, nothing but hot air. Compressor was engaging, but no cold air. Hooked up some gauges and the freon was low. Put in some dye, charged it up, sprayed down the condenser with water to clean it, and all is well. Then of course this Saturday which felt like the hottest day of the summer so far, nothing but hot air again. I take off the cap on the high side and push in the Schrader valve to see if it's empty and get sprayed in the face with green freon. Great. Check low side more cautiously and pressure there too. Check fuses and good. I wanted to swap the relay, but I couldn't get it out and didn't have any tools with me to grab it. The fan comes on tho at low speed. Just the compressor does not engage. Going to check power at the plug tomorrow. Was just curious if anyone else had a failure. Thanks.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Nada so far with my '16. I normally include some oil when adding refrigerant though.

Prior cars the symptom for low refrigerant is typically frequent on/off cycling. For it to not be cycling on/off yet have low refrigerant seems odd?

Have you checked for codes? Prior car when the relay went, the engine was idling up when it thought the compressor was engaged. (compressor places significant load on an engine so they have to idle-up in anticipation of that compressor load) The bad relay kept it from engaging though. It's easy enough to check and confirm whether the computer is attempting to signal a relay active.

Check the blend door actuators (there are two or three of them) and cabin filter. One guy just posted a picture of his blower motor screen (not filter) being "clogged"... though I think that's a definite outlier, amusing anomaly.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
My '14 developed an AC high pressure hose leak
It was replaced and all services were provided under warranty.

OP
M
Thread Starter #4
So went to my friendā€™s shop who had professional gauges and the pressure was in fact low. Below 50psi. Started to add some freon and compressor kicked on. Check for leaks and looks like the condenser is leaking at the end tank. šŸ«¤
Consumer grade AC gauges suck. Lol