Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best 1st mod?

Fiestig

Weird.. Did you post the same ? in 2 different posts?

Depends on how much you want to spend right out of the box.

1. RMM (I am sure nobody will argue this)
2. Whatever you want...lol. The RMM is such a difference maker I would start there and then move forward after you see the difference that alone makes.

I can't speak to using an AP. I run my own piggyback that keeps me plenty happy (y)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
What's the best first mod to buy? I'm thinking the Cobb Accessport is the best first mod. What do you guys think?
As far as power, then yeah, bolt on's don't do much at all, even with a tune, intercooler being the one exception is always worth it even stock tune... but you really should do an upgraded RMM/rear roll restrictor engine mount first or at the same time. Even then, if you don't go fairly stiff on that and plan on going with ethanol tunes and/or turbo upgrades later, you're going to want upper mount inserts too. You'll want a traction bar (2pt) or better as well to tame all the torque that this car can make so easily. Doing all those bracing upgrades is only like $300 max in parts and makes the power gains from a tune worth it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Get to learn your Car....Learn its handling dynamics. Do you like the Banging of the RMM when you shift hard? If not Id decide If you like additional NVH if so decide if a street style urethane with less vibration or more with a track spec urethane which gives you more vibration. Both will cut down on the banging of the RMM and help with Tire hop. Then maybe a High flow panel filter...K&N...Green ....Ramair...ITG all are good. Then id look into a Larger Intercooler....COBB...Whoosh....Cp-e....ATP....Bravoalpha....eBAY SPECIAL. Finally id be looking into a COBB accessport/AP3.

OP
D
Thread Starter #7
So the consensus im getting here is RMM? But doesn't the AP help with throttle response, raising redline,no lift shift, launch control, better traction control can be setup etc.

Fiestig

But doesn't the AP help with throttle response, raising redline,no lift shift, launch control, better traction control can be setup etc.
Can't imagine it would make much difference if you don't tighten everything up to get the power down more efficiently.

So the consensus im getting here is RMM? But doesn't the AP help with throttle response, raising redline,no lift shift, launch control, better traction control can be setup etc.
Lol the car drives pretty damn good stock. Get the RMM first. Then I would do supporting mods before going to the AP. Get the intercooler, intake, exhaust, then do AP. In my opinion.

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk

RMM forsure, I got the accessport first went stage one and upgraded the RMM around the time I went stage 2, I regret not getting it sooner. But my first mods were muffler and resonator delete, rally armor flaps and visors

I posted this in the other thread too, but I'd say lighter wheels and better tires. I'm running the 16" Konig Dekagrams wrapped in 205/50 Indy 500s and it's a great combination. The additional sidewall significantly improved the ride quality, and the lower unsprung weight from the wheels (14.5 lbs each vs 22.5 lbs each stock) makes the car feel more nimble.

If you're dead set on getting an AP first, get a better intercooler at the same time. Depo Racing and Whoosh are the best value from my research, but whatever custom tune you get with the AP will benefit more with a better one.

From everything I've read, intakes and exhausts only make more noise, not hp/tq, if you're still running the stock turbo.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Lol the car drives pretty damn good stock. Get the RMM first. Then I would do supporting mods before going to the AP. Get the intercooler, intake, exhaust, then do AP. In my opinion.
This car has been out 6 years now and it's been proven, over and over again that absolutely zero "supporting mods" are required for a tune, an intercooler will just let you keep that power past more than a couple of pulls in the summer. I ran for a year and half with no IC upgrade and with e30/50 tunes had no probs at all, just didn't get to romp on it literally nonstop in the summer, I had to give a good minute cool down period after a couple of pulls before I could do it again. It's important we are clear for the new people here... That said, the stock RMM is too weak, period, it should be your first physical mod, then AP if you want more power, as this car is slow stock, a tune at least wakes it up to feel much better.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
But the AP doesn't help with the horribly weak RMM that causes wheel spin/hop and torque steer like crazy, the things you mention the AP does makes a stock RMM car worse, not better, I've been there... If you use traction control with a stock RMM you won't be able to launch any good at all and most likely lower your clutch life and even cause knock as it suddenly cuts timing to try to keep traction. Keep in mind that with a stock turbo, it has a tiny outlet that is *the* bottleneck for power for the entire engine. Intake and exhaust is not a required mod, at all, in any way other than in Cobb's marketing world and those who drink that Kool Aid. Even the best upgrade, an intercooler, is un-needed if you just do a pull or 2 at a time, even in the summer, but it's no fun to have to back down constantly for cool down time, so it's indeed the most important bolt on there is after RMM.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I'd say Accessport and a tune.

I'm tuned on E30 on the stock RMM. Doesn't bother me any.

It's your choice because it's your car, like the others are saying a RMM tightened up the feel of the car. My first mod was audio upgrades then the RMM, symposer delete, AP and intercooler.

RMM or AP. I know the title is First Mod but a short shifter wouldn’t be a bad choice, it really makes the shifts more balanced at 25% setting. Especially from 1st to 2nd gear. It’s really all preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk