Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best Autocross Tires for the Fiesta?

So I picked up some RE-71's for my Fiesta... pretty amazing tires, very grippy and I ended up placing 8th out of 50 on my first championship event.

That said, I burned off 45% of the front tires in a weekend event [rofl]

Granted, I did have a co-driver (who came in 2nd!) and the pavement there was known to be a little abrasive on tires.

Still... I might as well be running slicks if I am going to run through tires this quickly. I am tempted to go back to the RE-11 because they wear less quickly, even though they may be a bit slower.

What is everybody else's experience with tires this year?

OP
P
Thread Starter #4
Yeah they are the A10's, they are a decent cheap wheel

Right now I am running 205/45R16's

Although I just read on that forum that the 2015/50R16 version of the tire is like 25% cheaper

OP
P
Thread Starter #5
That is weird... my magic number for these tires was 52psi in the front, and 44psi in the rear... but on that forum, lots of those guys are running like 38 and 40 in the front. I had an ass load of roll over on my tires at those pressures.

In fact, I am going to bump up my pressure to 55psi front and 45psi rear next time around

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
That is weird... my magic number for these tires was 52psi in the front, and 44psi in the rear... but on that forum, lots of those guys are running like 38 and 40 in the front. I had an ass load of roll over on my tires at those pressures.

In fact, I am going to bump up my pressure to 55psi front and 45psi rear next time around
As with me I found per the MFG (Hoosier) they say to run more air in FWD cars running the A6 autoX tire. I was over 50 fronts and low 40's rears and still think I could have gone more in front as I was still showing a smidge of rollover based on my super sensitive chalk marks ;) lol will use a IR heat gun this year to get a better feel..

I'm on 205/50-16 RE71R's and ran 38 front 40 rear at my last event. I also have an eibach front bar and I didn't experience any roll over issues. These tires are really fast on this car.

OP
P
Thread Starter #8
I'm on 205/50-16 RE71R's and ran 38 front 40 rear at my last event. I also have an eibach front bar and I didn't experience any roll over issues. These tires are really fast on this car.
Wow, I did not expect to see that big of a difference in sidewall stiffness between the 205/45 and 205/50

the fiesta isn't my primary autocross vehicle but i did put some decent tires on it if i had to use it as a back up. i took it out for a little testing at a recent event and i believe i came down to about 45 psi in the front and upper 30's in the rear. car seemed to rotate fine and i didn't get any rollover but i also feel like there was a lot more to be gained by someone who really took the time to see how low the tire pressures could go. the car has a 215/45/17 rs-3 v2.0 on it and the seem to do just fine. never really got them hot enough to see how they deal with really high temps(cold day) but the grip seemed to improve as they got some warmth into them.

OP
P
Thread Starter #10
I spent quite a bit of time fine tuning the pressures for mine. I found anything over about 56psi started penalizing me in the corners. Anything below about 50psi resulted in roll over... I was really pushing the car through corners though.

Only 3 tires in this pic... haha

Photo Credit: Ian Gulinao

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I spent quite a bit of time fine tuning the pressures for mine. I found anything over about 56psi started penalizing me in the corners. Anything below about 50psi resulted in roll over... I was really pushing the car through corners though.

Only 3 tires in this pic... haha

Photo Credit: Ian Gulinao
Great 3 legged dog pic :)

I am not a fiesta st owner or driver but, I do only race on road course. Sorry, SRT neon guy here but our cars are similar in weight and power delivery. go HOOSIER A series tires! they heat quickly and will serve you very well. Street driving? no go, but track tires....I promise the quickest times you've ever trapped.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I am not a fiesta st owner or driver but, I do only race on road course. Sorry, SRT neon guy here but our cars are similar in weight and power delivery. go HOOSIER A series tires! they heat quickly and will serve you very well. Street driving? no go, but track tires....I promise the quickest times you've ever trapped.
As for SRT4's; we used some Kumbo road race tires at sebring and were eating up all kinda of $100k+ cars at Sebring in a bone stock 2005 white ACR neon. We also over heated the motor, over heated the power steering fluid, and the brake pads came out in pieces when we got home, lol. But.... Lots of rich guys were inspecting that car at lunch, lol. The Kumbo's were DOT legal, but since drag radials only went about 8k miles on a srt4 on the street, we never used the Kumbo's on the street.

OP
P
Thread Starter #14
There are a lot of guys that run Hoosiers, but in higher classes. They are quick, but you get penalized for it when the PAX factor gets applied.

For H-Street class, only streetable tires are permitted. That is why people are flocking to the RE-71R and Direzza's

Hello all, I would like to revive this discussion. I am now in process of thinking about my new tires for autocross. Up to now I used serial tires and serial wheels (and I have totally serial car), but I like autocross very much and after several autocrosses (I have my fiesta from 3/2014 and after serious accident in same month I attended about 14 autocross competitions) are my result so good (always maximum 3rd position - Czech and Slovak republic, but I plan to attend some races in other European countries ) and my driving styl so dectructive for serial tires (2-3 races and my front tires are after death - totally destroyed side walls) that I have to solve this situation. :))
In Czech republic is necessary to have all size of tires oficially written in technical licence of the car if you want to attend serial categories in autocross. And I would like to attend only those categories (fiesta is my normal daily car, for picking up children from the school and from shopping :) So, it was really hard to find some possibility for non stock tires and wheels. It was not possible to write any of non serial tires to technical licence, because no wheels in the market have necessary homologation for my car. Only one possibility for me was OZ racing Ultraleggera 7x16? ET42 108x4 and 205/45/R16 - only this size is possible to have legally written in TL (I want to have smaller wheels than 17"). So, it is done, I bought Ultraleggera wheels and now I am looking for the best tires. :)
I would like to ask for your opinion, experiencies etc.
I have those posibilities:
Nankang Sport NS-II 205/45 R16 87W
Federal 595 RS-R 205/45 R16 83V
Yokohama ADVAN NEOVA AD08 205/45 R16 83W
Toyo Proxes R888R | 205/45 R16 83 W
Toyo Proxes R1-R 205/45 R16 83W

Do you have any experience with those tires? Advantages x disadvantages? For me it is favourite one Toyo Proxes R888R, but I am bit afraid of handling them on wet surface (sometimes I plan to go with them on the car from home, not to change wheels on the track). Thank you very much.

Some videos from our CZ/SK tracks. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MdAwpxj3Lg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL7Tn4XJ6Ic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aspw9DilQBM&index=4&list=PLPBZFfZE6Bzu2AQZgiQLr9IaM81x-7OI1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqOIPEIEe1w

My final choice was Toyo Proxes R888R | 205/45 R16 83 W. Some races I had to have serial tires (because of rules). Now I have on front - Toyo T1R (very good traction, very hard XL sideboard!) and on rear Michelin Pilot sport 3 (they are quite slippery, but still I am not able to "go down" them. :) Semislick Toyo Proxes R888R are really perfect. :) I am very sutisfied, but they are only for 4-5 races. :))

And result of Season 2016:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
As stated in above posts, we here in the states are not allowed to use anything less than a 200 tread wear rated tire in our stock classes, and cannot use the super gummy, under 100 tread wear, mostly or fully slick tread pattern donuts until we move up to a Street Prepared, Prepared, or Modified class, according to most of our sanctioning organizations' autocross (slalom to you) rules. [:(]