Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best FREE & Budget Fiesta ST Mods for Maximum Power on The Cheap

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Excellent article. Very honest assessment of mod value, especially coming from a retailer.

Your pricing and customer service were great when I dealt with y'all for parts on my soon to be sold FR-S. Was already planning on sourcing parts for my upcoming Fist from y'all, but straightforward and fair advertising and advice impresses me enough to seal the deal.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Nick,
Looking at the detailed pictures, does the factory intake pull air from the shrouded area between the radiator and bumper without the cutting? If so, I was wrong with my first comments about the modification. The pictures seem to indicate that the shroud between the bumper cover and radiator doesn't have an opening of any kind to feed the intake. Is that correct?

This is great stuff Nick, thank you. I remembered you mentioning the intake mod at the last Fiesta ST meet, thanks for posting the pics, it gives me a better idea of what I need to do.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Nick,
Looking at the detailed pictures, does the factory intake pull air from the shrouded area between the radiator and bumper without the cutting? If so, I was wrong with my first comments about the modification. The pictures seem to indicate that the shroud between the bumper cover and radiator doesn't have an opening of any kind to feed the intake. Is that correct?
That would be correct :)

Hence why i did it, i don't see anywhere else it can oull air from.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
That would be correct :)

Hence why i did it, i don't see anywhere else it can oull air from.
awesome, thanks for the clarification. I thought all this time that the factory intake was connected to the shroud. What did you use to cut the shrouding? I am thinking a hole saw on a drill with a long extension would be pretty easy.

Great write-up! I just drilled a bunch of holes in the same area. I'm a little skittish on cutting it plus I didn't want too much crap getting into the intake. I'm really puzzled as to where the intake is suppose to get cold air from. That dam is directing air to the radiator seemingly away from the intake.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Great article, I completely agree with all of it!

I did not think of opening up the intake like that and spent considerable time on my version which will flow more air but at least I had the parts laying around, I love this free mod, do it:)

One note, during really cold weather you might get to much cold air, it was likely part of the spark blow out I had while making tuning runs, once up to 6K, no more spark, you might have to seal it up for higher RPM runs if around 30 degrees or colder.

Though expensive the Cobb is the best IC on the market in terms of size and direct airflow to the core, weight is great, the DHM for those a bit more hard core, big power, is the way to go.

Exhaust, most shops use crush bends causing great turbulence and restriction so a 3" exhaust is not really 3" when made that way. Even a cut and weld mandrel exhaust can be done poorly unless the flashing is removed and welds are not leaving a lot of slag inside the piping so make sure they do it right all the way to the tip.

Also be advised, many if not most single in and dual out mufflers are very restrictive so take a look into both ends with a bright light, pretty easy to tell if restrictive or not. I have seen one system with a horribly restrictive muffler, I have the same muffler out in my shop, it is SS and low priced as well as looks good on the outside, looking into it I was shocked at how bad it was made, again ruining much of the gain from a 3" system. Single in and out, perforated core is best as well as single out tip but a good split tip is not much of an issue, like the one pictured in the article. I have seen some single in and out mufflers and resonators that were not very good inside as well so watch for that.

-----------

Great writeup, great real advice, real service from a great vendor, thanks!

Rick

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
awesome, thanks for the clarification. I thought all this time that the factory intake was connected to the shroud. What did you use to cut the shrouding? I am thinking a hole saw on a drill with a long extension would be pretty easy.
Holesaw is what I used, but a bunch of guys at the last meet did it with an "artists knife" style razor blade.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The more I think of the time it took to do my version, and redo it later for even better flow, the better I like the opening up the area to flow air into the intake you have shown here:)

I have to advise to seal the area from the grill area to the inlet to the air box when doing this mod to keep air from just blowing around and getting out through various places and have less passing through the radiator.

-------------------

Mine, which flowed to much cold air when around 30 degrees out.