Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best Mods to increase performance but stay quiet?

Hi guys,

I just recently purchased a 15 FiST. Can't believe you can have this much fun and almost 30 MPG at the same time. The FiST's predecessor was lucky to get 12.

My immediate goal is to make the car torquier and faster, but I want it quiet at the same time.

I figure the short list will include a Cobb AP, intake and FMIC. Does an intake gain any power or just noise? Does a performance catted DP help significantly? I would go catless but need to pass emissions test. I plan to keep the stock muffler.

Am I missing any other basic mods?

Thanks!

kevinatfms

Tune and a more efficient intercooler are about perfect. No need for much more unless you go with a larger turbo setup.

Ditch the GF, weight savings AND moar quiet. Ha! The most gains will be from what you have and getting a pro-tune. The intake will add alot of turbo noise though. I think the DP on its own won't add too much noise, especially if it's catted. After that, your only real option are to to look for lightweight stuff, brake and wheel upgrade will reduce rotating mass. You won't "make" HP just more ponies but it will feel like it. Depending on Your needs you can look at other lightweight parts (hood, hatch, fenders, doors, gut interior) but those will have less of a return.

TempeST

This has been gone over so many times before, And many people have a TON of different opinions. I am from NC, but am not sure about your neck of the woods on how strict the emissions are, but for me it was "do you have a catalytic converter?" so my suggestion would be:

COBB AP3
Intercooler (your choice)
Drop-in air filter
Pro tune

The stock catback has been proven to flow fine at 330+whp so its not "needed" but it isn't illegal in NC so that could come later for your sound wants. hope this helps. The FiST does not need Much to unlock its power potential with the stock turbo.

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #5
I appreciate the feedback guys. I definitely don't plan to lighten the car. Just improve the power through basic mods with the stock turbo and maybe some minor suspension mods. That's about it.

COBB AP3
Intercooler (your choice)
Drop-in air filter
Pro tune
^This is what I'm going to do. Already have the Cobb AP and drop in filter. FMIC and Pro Tune will come once funds are available.

The rest of my money is going towards lighter wheels and sticky tires (got them), short shift plate and bushings (got them), PM bracing (need them), OCC (need it), winter tires (want them), louder exhaust (only if I ever get the itch to continue modding and have extra cash)

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #7
Sounds like that's the direction in headed as well.

My goal for my ST is to make it feel like a super quick gokart.

Regarding Lightweight wheels. Is there a significant difference in handling and feel on the ST? I know all about unsprung weight but don't know the options and how much lighter aftermarket wheels are for our cars.

From my searching, the stock wheels are 22.5 pounds. Staying in the 17 inch range, you can shave 3 or 4 pounds of no problem. If you downsize to a 16 inch wheel, then the savings can go all the way up to 10 or 11 pounds per wheel.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #9
From my searching, the stock wheels are 22.5 pounds. Staying in the 17 inch range, you can shave 3 or 4 pounds of no problem. If you downsize to a 16 inch wheel, then the savings can go all the way up to 10 or 11 pounds per wheel.

Wow! Didn't know the OEM wheels were so heavy. I just bought a set because I prefer the look over the wheels that came on my car. I will definitely start researching 16" options. 10# per wheel is huge especially on such a small car. Any specific wheel brands that are affordable and light in 16s that are popular with ST owners? Thanks!

Kosei wheels are very light weight and reasonably priced.

Wow! Didn't know the OEM wheels were so heavy. I just bought a set because I prefer the look over the wheels that came on my car. I will definitely start researching 16" options. 10# per wheel is huge especially on such a small car. Any specific wheel brands that are affordable and light in 16s that are popular with ST owners? Thanks!
Just do a search for wheel and tire threads on here because there is a ton of great info. I went to 16" rims because I could get more sidewall on my tire for added comfort with potholes. The lighter weight was just an added bonus and tires are cheaper in that size.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Waterfan

Come join us in the Wheels & Tires forum.

Sounds like that's the direction in headed as well.

My goal for my ST is to make it feel like a super quick gokart.

Regarding Lightweight wheels. Is there a significant difference in handling and feel on the ST? I know all about unsprung weight but don't know the options and how much lighter aftermarket wheels are for our cars.
Massive. I went with reasonably light 15's with 205/50-15 tires and the difference from the OEM 17" boat anchors is massive - as noticeable as when i went from stock to tune. Since the steering rack is electric there isn't much feeling to it, so dropping down to 15s just makes the ST feel so much lighter, more nimble, and more comfortable.

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #14
Massive. I went with reasonably light 15's with 205/50-15 tires and the difference from the OEM 17" boat anchors is massive - as noticeable as when i went from stock to tune. Since the steering rack is electric there isn't much feeling to it, so dropping down to 15s just makes the ST feel so much lighter, more nimble, and more comfortable.
Sounds like a significant improvement. Did you find 15s w/ the factory 4x108 bolt pattern or did you convert to 4x100?

Sounds like a significant improvement. Did you find 15s w/ the factory 4x108 bolt pattern or did you convert to 4x100?
Just went to tire rack and got some sparco wheels in black with oem 4x108. I can check the receipt for the specific model but nothing fancy and they are good wheels. I had a set on my Gti that ran through 3 years in Michigan with no issues.

I commute 100 miles a day so want to keep this car very mild as its my DD. Would be cool to convert one day but that would happen anytime soon.

I need to figure out how to post pics I have a few on my phone.

The detriment to going to 15 or 16's is you get the econocar look. To me it looks like a rental. Good for potholes, not good eye candy at all.

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #17
The detriment to going to 15 or 16's is you get the econocar look. To me it looks like a rental. Good for potholes, not good eye candy at all.

I agree 17s look better in my eyes. May just need to shop around for lightweight 17" options. I actually like the OEM Rado wheel look a lot. Too bad they are very heavy for their size.

I just can't decide if I want to go 16s or 17s. I live about two hours from the nurburgring and can't wait to take my car up there for a few laps but for the most part I just take it on the winding back roads near my house. I like the look of the 17s more but want the weight of the 16s.

A7xogg

Actually our wheels are light compared to other OEM wheels.