Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best Spark Plugs you would recommend and I’m new, Hi!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I was just curious what spark plugs you would personally recommend or if the stock Motorcraft ones are fine.
All my car consists of is a Injen cai and a Cobb rear motor mount.
Stock plugs should last you 75k-100k on a stock tune. If you get an AP3 / cobb accessport with a OTS tune or a flash tune by a vendor then you might want to run A step colder to keep cylinder temps down.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
S
Thread Starter #3
Thank you and good to know. I was planning on getting the Cobb AccessPort this Black Friday. What colder plugs would you recommend?

I've heard NGK is the best, i havent changed my plugs out yet because i haven't done too much mod-wise to my FiST

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The OEM is NGK Ford doesn't make spark plugs. Ford has been using NGK spark plugs for probably 15 years if not more.
If you look at your Ford labeled spark plugs you will see a made in Japan.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

SteveS

1000 Post Club
By the way, it's a misstatement to say that colder heat range plugs cool the cylinder. The heat range pertains to keeping the tip of the sparkplug itself warmer or cooler. Using a too-cold plug can result in fouling and misfiring. A too-hot plug can overheat and melt itself.
https://www.ngk.com/learning-center/article/207/what-is-a-spark-plugs-heat-range

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm not going to wax intellectual about this matter....but yes it is to keep the Tip cooler to remove heat and help aid in avoiding LSPI. Thus keeping cylinder temps down usually between 1000° to 1500° by transferring heat faster to avoid Knock/ detonation

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Heat range has essentially zero to do with "cooling" an engine...has to do with keeping the tip of the plug at the correct temp to keep it clean by reducing build up or causing premature detonation if too hot. An increase or decrease of the tip area will not do a thing for cylinder temps. How would anyone believe that tiny tip will reduce the temps of the thermal mass of the Iron liner, piston and valves/ head?

"Heat from the combustion chamber escapes through the exhaust gases, the side walls of the cylinder and the spark plug itself. The heat range of a spark plug has only a minute effect on combustion chamber and overall engine temperature. A cold plug will not materially cool down an engine's running temperature. (Too hot of a plug may, however, indirectly lead to a runaway pre-ignition condition that can increase engine temperature.) Rather, the main effect of a "hot" or "cold" plug is to affect the temperature of the tip of the spark plug." gsparkplug.com

I remember people saying in the '60's and '70's the same silly thing....."if you car is running hot put colder plugs in"! LOL...... kind of like dropping an ice cube in a 5 gallon bucket of boiling water.........

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
So what's so great about these ruthenium's?

I'm considering going to go back to stock heat range. I'm sure my ethanol tune would do fine on it, and crossing my fingers my 93 tune will do fine too.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
So what's so great about these ruthenium's?

I'm considering going to go back to stock heat range. I'm sure my ethanol tune would do fine on it, and crossing my fingers my 93 tune will do fine too.
They last longer, If you have a car that is a PIA to change plugs they are a better choice and not much more expensive than others.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Their ignitabilty / flame kernel is slightly better than Iridium.