Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best (STOCK size) alternative to BFG sport comp 2(Discontinued) for price and performance?

My BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2's are done and I can no longer purchase these as they are discontinued(stock size) and looking for the next best for the price and performance. IMO, for the price the comp 2's were the best bang for the buck for stock size- price: 100 ish, super stiff sidewall for snappy and razor sharp response, awesome dry and wet traction and decent tread life. So far Pirelli P Zero comes closest as far as I can tell. Opinions?

Izzy

Without a doubt...the Firestone Indy 500...went from the Comp2's myself...the Indy 500 is an outstanding tire for the money. Outperforms the Comp2's in every way.

Without a doubt...the Firestone Indy 500...went from the Comp2's myself...the Indy 500 is an outstanding tire for the money. Outperforms the Comp2's in every way.
Seems to be a very good and reasonably priced tire, but not available in our stock size as far as I've seen. It is available in 205/45R17 and R16 though.

Where'd you find them in stock size?

KKaWing

Don't confuse the Indy *WIDE* Ovals with the Indy 500. Easiest way to tell, the good ones (Indy 500) are asymmetric tread. The old ones (Wide Ovals) are directional. So far only the Wide Ovals are listed in stock size.

Edit: I even confused myself lol Indy 500 good, wide oval bad!

Izzy

Not running stock (205/45/16), but just check Tire Rack and the have the 205/45/17 for $90.25. Firestone does advertise a 205/40/17 size, but says call for pricing.

The 205/45-17 sidewall is about 1/4 in taller than the 205/40-17 size, and reads about 58mph on Speedo at 60 mph actual. And as the tread wears, the difference decreases with decreases tread depth. Do you think your speedometer is accurate at 60mph when worn to tread depth indicators? Nope, you are traveling slower than speedometer.

I'd rather use the 205/ 45-17 with a good tire at a good price vs a really expensive tire with old technology and worse performance in an OEM difficult to find size. But, that is all IMHO...

Read Fiesta ST owner reviews here

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/10882-Firestone-Firehawk-Indy-500/page11

After searching for new tires in stock size I couldn't find anything worth it. I stepped up to the 205/45 Indy 500s. Only had them in for about 3 weeks now, but they are great. It's been a abnormally warm and rainy spring here. They are great in the wet so far and seem sticky when it's been dry.

Did you check your local Sears? I was able to get a set of the Sport COMP-2 summer tires for local pickup a few months back.

Not sure why the hate on the Firestone Indy500 Wide Ovals. I have a nice new set in 205/45/16. The ride is smoother and quieter. Braking and transient grip are on par or better than the OEMs, the trade-off being the slightest bit of additional transitional response from the car when maneuvering, due I'm sure in no small part to the taller side walls.
Since I'm not going 10/10 all the time, the slightest reduction in "at the limit feel" can be forgiven considering the benefits I get throughout the rest of the operating bandwidth. Also, from a numbers and feedback perspective, they compare very favorably to much more expensive kit. That's a fancy way of saying they were WAAAAY cheap.
I just wanted to proffer an alternative opinion based on my couple hundred mile review of these tires.