Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best Tires for Cold and Dry Weather?

I don't use anything but great winter tires during the winter, but sometimes sub-zero temperatures happen during spring and fall. While I'll have my 3-season tires stored in a warm area during the winter, sometimes they'll be exposed to cold weather, and I'd still like to drive on them (unless there is snow on the ground). What are the best handling tires that can be exposed/driven in cold temperatures on without the compound falling apart? I don't care about on-snow performance since I'll just get a ride on those days, only dry performance.

I known the Sport COMP-2 and Pilot A/S 3+ exist, but maybe some summer tires can tolerate a bit of cold. I wouldn't expect anything under -5 Celsius/20 Fahrenheit.

Thanks in advance!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am curious about this as well, although I suspect that these do not exist. [:(]
Nokian does make a summer tread patterned tire which is compounded for cold, dry weather, but it is nowhere near the performance of the max/uhp summer temp ONLY tires we get here.

I know that Michelin does have some semi-slick tarmac rally tires which are specifically compounded to handle very cold/freezing ambient temps without freezing themselves (for the Monte Carlo Rally dry mountain stages), but these will probably disintegrate/melt when used in temps above 30*F.

KKaWing

The pirelli v-rated and above aka the sottozero's & snowsports are good dry winter tires. They have quite a bit of road noise but they're pretty "hard" for a winter tire compound and don't squirm as much as a traditional marshmallow winter tire.

Edit: they also withstand a Toronto - Miami trip in the winter. Basically snowing in Toronto then sweating in Miami weather. A bit of wear but nothing too substantial. This was with the Pirelli Snowsport 210's on a 05-ish S500.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I second the sottozero's ran them last year in winter. Nice winter and dry conditions. If you are looking for conditions without ice or snow an all season would work, those you suggested are good. The issue is the rubber compound may get too hard and even, in rare cases, crack.