Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blizzak WS80, in STOCK size opinions?

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I just swapped over to a steelie setup from tire rack, Michelin x ice i3, 195/55/15. Not particularly liking them on the dry at highway speeds. It takes away 75% of the charm of this car, imo. The steelies being only 6" wide probably doesnt help either.

Seems a bit of overkill for my needs in my area (nyc/long island/central nj).
My feeling is that I shoulda went with 16x7 sparco terras on 195/50/16 sottozeros, a good middle ground, but too late for that ($$$$$$).

I do have an extra set of less than perfect (looks-wise) stock rims and was thinking about slapping on a set of the ws80 Blizzaks on them.

I was wondering how they feel in the dry from peeps that have/had them.

They seem to be a bit of an extreme winter tire, but still gotta be much much sportier in that size (205/40/17) as compared to a 15" or 16" set up, no?

Interestingly enough, Bridgestone markets them as sporty-ish. And they are H rated rather than T rated, so they gotta be somewhat decent in that regard.....

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I grew up in so-cal.....

My only experience with snow tires was a set of used Blizzaks on some 16x7 jdm wheels on a friends FC rx7.

Good for drifting, sorta.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Business6

I'm going to put them on again for a second season on Tuesday. You definitely lose grip on any axis and have to be careful to not overdrive them in a turn but that's any snow tire. They do far better in dry conditions than any snow tire I've had in the last 10 years but it's all about not asking them to do something they can't.

Also, for reference, I have yet to drive on tall sidewall snow tires. This will be the last winter on the 17s before I move down to 16s next spring. Still debating on those sizes but it's probably safe to say 205/50 will be on next winter.

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
I'm going to put them on again for a second season on Tuesday. You definitely lose grip on any axis and have to be careful to not overdrive them in a turn but that's any snow tire. They do far better in dry conditions than any snow tire I've had in the last 10 years but it's all about not asking them to do something they can't.

Also, for reference, I have yet to drive on tall sidewall snow tires. This will be the last winter on the 17s before I move down to 16s next spring. Still debating on those sizes but it's probably safe to say 205/50 will be on next winter.
Ahh, good to know!

Someone was selling a set of unused blizzaks on here for $275 (I think), I wish I jumped on them, but I did ok..... I scored a set for $408 via discount tire. And that includes their road hazzard protection. There's a Black friday sale going on as we speak. 20% off (10%+ another 10% if you use their CC, via rebates) and another $70 rebate from Bridgestone.

I wish there were more options.
I would kill for some michelin alpin pa4 in our stock size! By far, The best winter tire I've ever had when I owned my wrx! Not cheap tho, @ $240 a piece [emoji51]

I much prefer performance (euro) winters over full on snow tires for my needs.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I just swapped over to a steelie setup from tire rack, Michelin x ice i3, 195/55/15. Not particularly liking them on the dry at highway speeds. It takes away 75% of the charm of this car, imo. The steelies being only 6" wide probably doesnt help either.

Seems a bit of overkill for my needs in my area (nyc/long island/central nj).
My feeling is that I shoulda went with 16x7 sparco terras on 195/50/16 sottozeros, a good middle ground, but too late for that ($$$$$$).

I do have an extra set of less than perfect (looks-wise) stock rims and was thinking about slapping on a set of the ws80 Blizzaks on them.

I was wondering how they feel in the dry from peeps that have/had them.

They seem to be a bit of an extreme winter tire, but still gotta be much much sportier in that size (205/40/17) as compared to a 15" or 16" set up, no?

Interestingly enough, Bridgestone markets them as sporty-ish. And they are H rated rather than T rated, so they gotta be somewhat decent in that regard.....
You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think snow tires are going to come close to the same feel as summer tires.

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think snow tires are going to come close to the same feel as summer tires.
I agree, but there are varying differences amongst the different set ups. I know nothing could ever feel like the summer set up all the while absorbing the potholes and being able to traverse bad weather.

I really want to get the Sparco Terras 16x7 with the 195 50 tire , which is available in a performance winter. On a 7 inch rim, a 195 tire will feel pretty sporty. add to the fact that performance winter tires are more like snow capable Allseasons , would be just what I need.....
but I gotta think that the Blizzaks in stock size would be pretty sporty just based on the fact that it carries the aggressive stock size. Which brings me back to my original post.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I agree, but there are varying differences amongst the different set ups. I know nothing could ever feel like the summer set up all the while absorbing the potholes and being able to traverse bad weather.

I really want to get the Sparco Terras 16x7 with the 195 50 tire , which is available in a performance winter. On a 7 inch rim, a 195 tire will feel pretty sporty. add to the fact that performance winter tires are more like snow capable Allseasons , would be just what I need.....
but I gotta think that the Blizzaks in stock size would be pretty sporty just based on the fact that it carries the aggressive stock size. Which brings me back to my original post.
The Nokian WR G3s have your name written all over them, sadly, I believe that they are NOT made in that size, since I wanted to put them on those same exact wheels originally, before I opted for a more gravel road resistant/rally working capable, 15" diameter, winter setup. (The Nokians are also big $$$$ as well, sadly.)

That being said, IF you stay away from the VERY 'spongy', very soft treaded, heavily micro-siped, 'scrubbing brush type effect' winter tires (like the Blizzaks, X-Ice 3s, etc.), and pump them up to higher pressures in the dry (including the COLD dry), winter snows are not as horrific as they are always made out to be.

OF COURSE, they will never ever come anywhere near the performance of a sticky, 200 tread wear pure summer gumball in 80*F temps, but you will not necessarily be under-steering off the road at every turn in the dry. [wink]

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
That being said, IF you stay away from the VERY 'spongy', very soft treaded, heavily micro-siped, 'scrubbing brush type effect' winter tires (like the Blizzaks, X-Ice 3s, etc.), and pump them up to higher pressures in the dry (including the COLD dry), winter snows are not as horrific as they are always made out to be.
I set them at 45psi this morning and wow, night and day difference. I decided to keep em. I will adjust pressures depending on weather on these. Decrease for wet especially.

I returned the blizzaks that I bought for my extra stockers. DTD only hit me with a $39 return label fee. The price I paid they were an amazing deal, but not a fan of Blizzaks and their bad reputation for treadwear life.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I set them at 45psi this morning and wow, night and day difference. I decided to keep em. I will adjust pressures depending on weather on these. Decrease for wet especially.

I returned the blizzaks that I bought for my extra stockers. DTD only hit me with a $39 return label fee. The price I paid they were an amazing deal, but not a fan of Blizzaks and their bad reputation for treadwear life.
Yeah, I mistakenly included the X-Ice 3s in that ultra soft compounded, brush-like tread siping group of tires with the Blizzaks.

Upon further careful inspection of their tread blocks/siping, they are not quite as micro-siped as the Blizzaks, and they also do NOT become an all season compounded, almost useless in any snow/ice/slush condition tire once that initial soft brush compound is worn away (UNLESS Bridgestone has changed this in recent years/models of their Blizzaks??, but that's the way they used to be ;) ).

When I had the Altimax Arctic 12s in a 195/60 even!/15, pumped up to about 50 PSI, on a 15x7 Method rally spec wheel, for working on the NEFR event this past late July in Maine, the many WRXes and STIs in our working group could barely keep up with me in the paved 'twisties' getting out to, and back from, the gravel stages we were working (and most of them were on UHP all seasons, or even pure summer tires!). [wink]

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Yeah, I mistakenly included the X-Ice 3s in that ultra soft compounded, brush-like tread siping group of tires with the Blizzaks.

Upon further careful inspection of their tread blocks/siping, they are not quite as micro-siped as the Blizzaks, and they also do NOT become an all season compounded, almost useless in any snow/ice/slush condition tire once that initial soft brush compound is worn away (UNLESS Bridgestone has changed this in recent years/models of their Blizzaks??, but that's the way they used to be ;) ).

When I had the Altimax Arctic 12s in a 195/60 even!/15, pumped up to about 50 PSI, on a 15x7 Method rally spec wheel, for working on the NEFR event this past late July in Maine, the many WRXes and STIs in our working group could barely keep up with me in the paved 'twisties' getting out to, and back from, the gravel stages we were working (and most of them were on UHP all seasons, or even pure summer tires!). [wink]

I will keep an eye out for a set of 15x7s to replace the steelies. I think that will help stiffen them up. 6" is too narrow.

As for tires, I've always been a Michelin man (hehe). They really are the creme de le creme. The fact that they offer a 40k mile treadwear warranty on a snow tire says a lot, imo!

I am even considering picking up a set of pilot a/s 3 as my "summer" tire next go around. From what I read, they are on par with summer rubber and will allow me to run them longer into the in between seasons. Being that I don't track/auto x, I probably wouldn't even be able to tell they are not summers.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am even considering picking up a set of pilot a/s 3 as my "summer" tire next go around. From what I read, they are on par with summer rubber and will allow me to run them longer into the in between seasons. Being that I don't track/auto x, I probably wouldn't even be able to tell they are not summers.
Even though so many on here HATE ON those tires (maybe because they are comparing them to the grip given by 200 tread wear summer ONLY gumballs??), I am more than impressed with them in our factory size, on a factory size wheel. [:)]

The only tire I can see as possibly giving more COLD weather DRY grip, are maybe the Nitto NeoGens, and those would be many times worse if one got caught out in even very light snow with them.

I agree with the Michelin thing, and I DO wish that they offered sizes which WE could use on our rides in their most excellent Pilot Super Sport/Pilot Sport 4S. [:(]

I went back and forth in my mind about what winter wheel/tire package to order from Tire Rack and finally decided to go with 17x8 Focal wheels and 205/40-17 Blizzaks. I've run Blizzaks on three other cars and love the snow and ice handling, though I'm not expecting to deal with much snow, mostly cold temps. One reason I went with 17's is that I may go with those wheels for summer and move the Blizzaks to the stock wheels for next winter.

I've been running them for a week here in Oregon and so far I'm happy.

IMG_1844.JPG

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
I went back and forth in my mind about what winter wheel/tire package to order from Tire Rack and finally decided to go with 17x8 Focal wheels and 205/40-17 Blizzaks. I've run Blizzaks on three other cars and love the snow and ice handling, though I'm not expecting to deal with much snow, mostly cold temps. One reason I went with 17's is that I may go with those wheels for summer and move the Blizzaks to the stock wheels for next winter.

View attachment 19012
Looks good! The 8" width will definitely counter any squishiness those blizzaks might have. Nice firm ride I'm sure. I would say those definitely make a better summer wheel. Let the stockers take a beating, lol.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Most on here would critique those for being about the same weight as the heavy factory anchors, but I think that they look good, except for the double lug drilling, and at least you picked up more width over the stockers, for that same weight. [wink]

View attachment 19012
Nice looks good!

I also ended up ordering the Blizzak WS80s in the stock size, but choosing to use the stock wheels for snow/winter duty and will get some light weight wheels for summer tires and autocross.

How do you like the 205/40 Blizzaks compared to the stock Bridgestone? Is it a huge loss in lateral stability?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I use Pirelli scottozeros......they work great! Just giving them as an alternate option and they are in the same size as stock tires and on OEM stock wheels. Left the Bridgestones on a little too long and tried to drive on them in the first snow fall here in Mn a couple weeks ago....Even though they were A/S ....It was like driving with ice skates on slide right through a intersection and prayed as a car was approaching to not T-bone me.....Then the next day I put on the Pirelli's. Christ...Night and day difference! Best winter time mod ever for the FiST in a Cold or Snowy Environment.[wiggle]

I also ended up ordering the Blizzak WS80s in the stock size, but choosing to use the stock wheels for snow/winter duty and will get some light weight wheels for summer tires and autocross.
Now I'm thinking I'll save these wheels for spring and move the Blizzaks to the stock wheels for winter. I'm not crazy about even the slight stretch of the 205s on these 8-inch wheels and I worry about curbing the exposed edges.

How do you like the 205/40 Blizzaks compared to the stock Bridgestone? Is it a huge loss in lateral stability?
Apples and oranges - the Blizzaks slide a bit if I really get on it, but they're predictable and of course their real job is to stay flexible as the temps drop.

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
I use Pirelli scottozeros......they work great! Just giving them as an alternate option and they are in the same size as stock tires and on OEM stock wheels.
I love sottozeros, where did you get them? I could only find the Blizzaks.

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
Btw, I ditched the 15x6 tire rack steelies for a set of used team dynamics pro race 1.2, 15x7 +42 in matte black, for my 195/55 mich x-ice. HUGE diff in weight, car feels much quicker and stops faster. And looks a bazillion X better!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I love sottozeros, where did you get them? I could only find the Blizzaks.
I got them from a member from Alabama for like $200 lightly used/ still has the rubber knows on them.....good question though! I looked and tire rack offers them in a p205/50r17....no 40 like I have!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk