Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blown Turbo and Stock Turbo Swap thread

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm making this thread because I have to figure out how to install a new turbo since my old one is done and I'll probably have lots of questions.
My first question is, why do y'all think that my turbo failed. I'm running a E30 tune and I still have the stock radiator and I was wondering if that would cause the turbo to get too hot. Idk if coolant is used to cool the turbo.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm making this thread because I have to figure out how to install a new turbo since my old one is done and I'll probably have lots of questions.
My first question is, why do y'all think that my turbo failed. I'm running a E30 tune and I still have the stock radiator and I was wondering if that would cause the turbo to get too hot. Idk if coolant is used to cool the turbo.
Our Turbos are water cooled* Almost all are now to prevent Coking of the Turbo. Things just fail over time. The stock frame Turbos are known for putting out heat due to their inability to dissipate heat quickly. The larger intercooler helps out tremendously and the Radiator does also but not as much.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I’ve been on E30 for about 35k miles and my car was bought used with 100k. Still on stock radiator.

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #4
Our Turbos are water cooled* Almost all are now to prevent Coking of the Turbo. Things just fail over time. The stock frame Turbos are known for putting out heat due to their inability to dissipate heat quickly. The larger intercooler helps out tremendously and the Radiator does also but not as much.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Interesting.
I'm definitely considering doing a radiator and intercooler upgrade once I get this turbo situation sorted out.

Interesting.
I'm definitely considering doing a radiator and intercooler upgrade once I get this turbo situation sorted out.
IMO, anything past cobb stage1 (or equal) should have an intercooler upgrade (e30 or not)

anything to keep our cars cool, especially down south, is a good idea

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
While I'm happy I finally upgraded the intercooler, I was still very happy with the gains on E30 on full stock hardware. I would still argue it's the best bang for buck and requires no wrenching time.

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #7
Finally had the time to start removing the old turbo. It appears that the previous owner did something with the turbo and then reinstalled the stock turbo. Also I don't have a turbo heat shield or downpipe heat shield . . . PO must have kept them.

Last edited:
OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #10
Man that whole assembly is tiny hahaa! Congrats on finally getting it out! Looking forward to hopefully seeing you back out there soon. ;)
Yeah, my brother and dad thought that the exhaust manifold was hilariously small!
Hopefully everything will go smoothly and I'll be back on the road by Monday.

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #12
Is it normal to have two gaskets between the exhaust manifold and block? When I pulled it there were two.
Also is there a gasket between the downpipe and turbo?

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #13
Is it normal to have two gaskets between the exhaust manifold and block? When I pulled it there were two.
Also is there a gasket between the downpipe and turbo?
Yes, there is a gasket between the downpipe and turbo, mine was just stuck on the downpipe.
IMG_20220904_142432919.jpg
Turbo assembly ready to go back in . . .

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #14
Does anyone know the torque specs for the exhaust manifold, downpipe to turbo studs, and the oil and coolant lines to the turbo?

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #17
How tight would y'all recommend going on the banjo bolts for oil and coolant?
Not very tight, kinda tight, really tight?

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #19
Observations on the turbo change so far: it's going better than I thought it would, accessibility is pretty good with the cowl off. I was able to drop in the turbo with the intake side elbow attached. The bov is way easier to install with the turbo off as well lol.
For anyone doing this, I would highly recommend finding a good way to mark the boost solenoid hose routing. I used different colors of electrical tape. In the video I'm using, he routes them wrong and I think it damaged the engine 😮

Question: I haven't run my car for the last two and a half months, will my fuel be ok?

Observations on the turbo change so far: it's going better than I thought it would, accessibility is pretty good with the cowl off. I was able to drop in the turbo with the intake side elbow attached. The bov is way easier to install with the turbo off as well lol.
For anyone doing this, I would highly recommend finding a good way to mark the boost solenoid hose routing. I used different colors of electrical tape. In the video I'm using, he routes them wrong and I think it damaged the engine 😮

Question: I haven't run my car for the last two and a half months, will my fuel be ok?
I wouldn't worry too much about the fuel. I store my car 6 months a year, with a full tank to prevent moisture buildup. I just don't floor it too much until I put a full tank of fresh gas.