Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Boomba Ultimate Shift Package installed!

So I've had this kit installed going on about 2 weeks now and I thought I'd share how it's worked out. It's just my personal opinion but this thing is the "sh_t" for sure and I mean in an incredible way. What it has done to firm up the entire shifter feel and action is amazing and frankly I'm enjoying it everytime I drive this car. It's really that noticeable I swear. I replaced a simple Mountune short shifter and it's a new ball game all together. The action is firmer and the throws are on the shortest setting which is a major change. It's awesome and I thought I'd share my experiences.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I've used one, and loved it as well. I will get one at some point :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I might pick one of these up this spring, it seems people had issues when using the boomba lever with the mountune adapter so I figure if I go with this (boomba lever and adapter) everything should be alright. It's pretty sad though, this will my first drivability modification. Haha

Zormecteon

.It's pretty sad though, this will my first drivability modification. Haha
Not sad at all. The car is great as it comes from the factory, and the shifter mod is one that is enjoyed every time you drive. Every time.

Not sad at all. The car is great as it comes from the factory, and the shifter mod is one that is enjoyed every time you drive. Every time.
I just mean it's sad in the sense that I've had it for almost four years and did a turbo swap before a short throw shifter. Haha. Priorities I guess.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
I've had mine for months, it's alright. The shifts are not as tight as I would have hoped, and if anything it shifts slower into second gear. It's a nice piece, maybe my tranny is just fucked-.-

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I've had mine for months, it's alright. The shifts are not as tight as I would have hoped, and if anything it shifts slower into second gear.

^^^This might just deter me from ever getting their in the console handle replacement, as I already have the Mountune 'plate' under the hood, as as has been stated, some have had bind problems when these two parts are used together (and you are not all that impressed even with using the boomba plate with their handle). [:(]

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
as as has been stated, some have had bind problems when these two parts are used together (and you are not all that impressed even with using the boomba plate with their handle). [:(]
The binding was on gen one of the mountune plate and Rodmoe explained what was done to fix it in 2013. Not sure where one is hearing all these bind problems, I personally only heard of 2. I myself have no issues with the full boomba racing kit set to the shortest possible throw, few other local lads have it the same way with no regrets. One thing I would note is get rid of the mushy ford OE bushing on the stock tranny and shifter plate. They may help reduces vibrations on the stick but are a disfavor when it comes to shifting with gusto and speed.

Only reason I bring this up as that there may be some people with issues but it is far from the norm.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The binding was on gen one of the mountune plate and Rodmoe explained what was done to fix it in 2013. Not sure where one is hearing all these bind problems, I personally only heard of 2. I myself have no issues with the full boomba racing kit set to the shortest possible throw, few other local lads have it the same way with no regrets. One thing I would note is get rid of the mushy ford OE bushing on the stock tranny and shifter plate. They may help reduces vibrations on the stick but are a disfavor when it comes to shifting with gusto and speed.

Only reason I bring this up as that there may be some people with issues but it is far from the norm.
Thank you for that info. [thumb]

I already have the boomba solid bushings on the underhood cable bracket, and would do the console shifter bushings as well IF I ever do the boomba handle itself.

I AM very hesitant to do that since with my luck, I WILL BE one of the .10% who DO have problems with the above combo (I am NOT, I REPEAT, NOT going to change out the Mountune plate for any other, since that one was almost impossible to get on the car for me [nono]).

Also, my back cannot afford the 6+ hours of work that the shift handle will require of me, as well as the chance of disabling this car due to breaking any/all of the little plastic pieces (unless I buy replacements for ALL of them ahead of time).
IF boomba offered a TOTALLY assembled shifter mechanism using the factory bracket/parts in a 'bolt and play' configuration, I would be much more prone to consider their fine product.

Although I could use the reduced throw (and would LOVE it!), it just may not be worth taking the chance on possible bind, and going BACKWARDS FROM where I am now on shift feel, which is great except for just a slightly longer throw than I desire. [wink]

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
So I've had this kit installed going on about 2 weeks now and I thought I'd share how it's worked out. It's just my personal opinion but this thing is the "sh_t" for sure and I mean in an incredible way. What it has done to firm up the entire shifter feel and action is amazing and frankly I'm enjoying it everytime I drive this car. It's really that noticeable I swear. I replaced a simple Mountune short shifter and it's a new ball game all together. The action is firmer and the throws are on the shortest setting which is a major change. It's awesome and I thought I'd share my experiences.
just an observation....

but the Mountune quick shift part that attaches to the trans - the Mountune that you already had was a 30% reduction, the Boomba part that comes with your kit is a 20% reduction part
why didn't you just purchase the solid bushings and the shifter itself for the interior ?

technically you would be 10% less in throw distance if you would have left the Mountune quick shift in place

OP
P
Thread Starter #13
This was a test!

just an observation....

but the Mountune quick shift part that attaches to the trans - the Mountune that you already had was a 30% reduction, the Boomba part that comes with your kit is a 20% reduction part
why didn't you just purchase the solid bushings and the shifter itself for the interior ?

technically you would be 10% less in throw distance if you would have left the Mountune quick shift in place
And you passed! Honestly I didn't put that much thought into the percentages and only worried about compatibility with the shifter assembly and Mountune bracket so I went with the full Boomba kit so as to avoid potential issues. I may add the Mountune back in for that additional 10%, thanks for the heads up Whoosh... ????

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
And you passed! Honestly I didn't put that much thought into the percentages and only worried about compatibility with the shifter assembly and Mountune bracket so I went with the full Boomba kit so as to avoid potential issues. I may add the Mountune back in for that additional 10%, thanks for the heads up Whoosh... ????
as stated, just an observation

the short shifter kits that attach to the transmissions
the solid bushing kits
and the shifter assemblies all work independently of one another

Boomba does bundle it nice as a kit for you though so there's that.....

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
as stated, just an observation

the short shifter kits that attach to the transmissions
the solid bushing kits
and the shifter assemblies all work independently of one another

Boomba does bundle it nice as a kit for you though so there's that.....

Many just want to avoid the potential for problems (even though CG claims it is VERY few who have had them) with the 30% reduction Mountune plate, not 'playing well' with the boomba racing short shifter HANDLE replacement set to it's HIGHEST throw reduction setting.

IF I could be guaranteed NO problems doing this, I would already have the boomba handle in the car. [wink]

Or better yet, maybe we should just petition Mountune to make their OWN short shift HANDLE like they do for the base Fiesta IB5 gearboxes, but refuse to do for OUR IB6es. [mad]

I installed mine recently and agree with you completely, the shorter firmer shifts really are the sh_t! I have a question about your reverse lock out, does it function similar to how it was when stock? Mine pulls up only a really small amount now, like before I would lift about an inch and now it feels like it's just a 1/4" instead. Do you think I didn't reinstall it properly? It does function fine just has much less room to move up and down then before.

I installed mine recently and agree with you completely, the shorter firmer shifts really are the sh_t! I have a question about your reverse lock out, does it function similar to how it was when stock? Mine pulls up only a really small amount now, like before I would lift about an inch and now it feels like it's just a 1/4" instead. Do you think I didn't reinstall it properly? It does function fine just has much less room to move up and down then before.
Did you trim the reverse lockout per the instructions? Also, I had a somewhat similar issue when I first reinstalled the knob. All it took to correct it for me was I pulled the knob back off and slid the lockout collar up on the shift lever and seated in the knob before sliding the collar and knob down together and threading the knob back on. Now it works just as it did stock.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Many just want to avoid the potential for problems (even though CG claims it is VERY few who have had them) with the 30% reduction Mountune plate, not 'playing well' with the boomba racing short shifter HANDLE replacement set to it's HIGHEST throw reduction setting.

IF I could be guaranteed NO problems doing this, I would already have the boomba handle in the car. [wink]

Or better yet, maybe we should just petition Mountune to make their OWN short shift HANDLE like they do for the base Fiesta IB5 gearboxes, but refuse to do for OUR IB6es. [mad]
1+ year with max reduction. Some very heavy shifting and daily drive. Not poped once. Local lads have the same experience.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
1+ year with max reduction. Some very heavy shifting and daily drive. Not poped once. Local lads have the same experience.
THANKS CG, you have convinced me that this is NO problem at all, and I will probably purchase the boomba handle/interior bushings either at their Labor Day, or Black Friday sales. [thumb] [wink]

Did you trim the reverse lockout per the instructions? Also, I had a somewhat similar issue when I first reinstalled the knob. All it took to correct it for me was I pulled the knob back off and slid the lockout collar up on the shift lever and seated in the knob before sliding the collar and knob down together and threading the knob back on. Now it works just as it did stock.
Interesting.. I did trim the reverse lockout black plastic bit, I trimmed just off the right corner where he points in the video, did you trip the long edge too? I only trimmed the corner/shorter edge, I felt like I didn't trim enough. Now my lockout slides down all the way if I push it bit gets stuck/theres friction so when I pull it up it doesn't return on it's own. Does it sound to you like its most likely the trim that wasn't enough? I still don't quite understand what here the trim meets the other part or why exactly were trimming it.. thanks.