Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Boomba wing riser failure (Updated w "fix")

Just noticed today as I closed my trunk that the right 2 risers have stripped out/cracked the metal surrounding the screw hole. Ever since day 1, I've noticed that the extra spacing of the wing from the trunk created more torque around each hole when closing the trunk door. I never slam the trunk, but even with giving it a little 'oomph' to fully shut from a few inches of opening always caused the wing to bounce a little...This plus all the road vibration/possible wind buffeting likely has also contributed to fatigue failure. I don't really know what to do.

I could try and weld a repair to the cracked section and drill a new hole or try and buy an entirely new wing unit. I love the look that the riser gave the car, but after this I think I have to go back to stock placement...I can't really imagine dishing out $1k for a seibon cf one and TBH I may be close to that in expenses if I buy another one and get it color matched.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

:cry:

i had bought a 15 with the wing riser on it already,after 3 months of owning it,it fell apart and had holes on both corners.Was a pita to JB weld that bitch lol.I had the Delta riser on my 19,expensive but worth it.Gd luck

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I too had the same problem but luckily I have 2 spare wings. I haven't put the risers back on after having the wing painted gloss black on my silver beast. I too loved the look, but damaging the wing is not a good idea.

Sam4

I think the wing's plastic, which makes a weld tough. Reverting to stock may hide the problem and provide enough rigidity. Or JB Weld and hand-tighten. Is there a lot of vibration? I've had the Boomba's for 5 years and can't get the resonance quieted. Mainly a winter temp problem.

SPhilli911

Had mine on 6 years with no issue. I think I will be removing my risers to be safe, though, but can't for the life of me find the original hardware or locator clips.

OP
T
Thread Starter #9
Boomba says it’s my fault.
They say they have never heard of this issue before and are sticking to it even after seeing this thread. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Still gotta figure out how to remedy things…appreciate all the replies

Sam4

Or everyone could just stop with the Tom foolery and not install these on their FiSTs.

I must disagree - it's a bold look to an ST, a bold car. I am not putting a collagen-filled duck-billed extension on it, just a tilt. Up. An 'un-slammed" look even.

SPhilli911

They say they have never heard of this issue before and are sticking to it even after seeing this thread. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Bummer. What made it your fault? If installed properly there would be no issue, I'd assume.

CaptainCheesy

U.S. Army Veteran
I've got the Delta Styling riser, and besides some issues from the previous owner, it works' fine for me. Never liked the "open" look the Home Depot riser kits gave..

It is unfortunate you are experiencing this issue though. Maybe some more testing should be implemented on their side to try and recreate the issue instead of solely blaming the customer, you know. If they were a worthwhile company.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Of course they're going to say it's your fault. How about they put a bit more thought into their product, like a small plate, shaped the same as the wing, to give it a bit more support? Oh well, $150 down the tubes. Not going to put mine back on until someone comes up with a REAL solution! I'm sure someone with a younger brain than mine will find a remedy. I have one, but could be costly and nearly impractical to fix unless you're good with plastic and maybe aluminium! (Yes, it's spelled correctly)!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
They say they have never heard of this issue before and are sticking to it even after seeing this thread. [emoji2371]
They are right.....you installed them on the FiST. That was your mistake....it then shook the spoiler to death. This is called SSDS....Sudden Spoiler Death Syndrome.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

SPhilli911

I just removed the Boomba risers after 6 years and put it back to stock. I didn't take pics, but some of the metal around the holes on the car (not the wing) were deforming. Maybe I over-tightened the screws, but no signs of damage otherwise.