Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

boost leak? car dies past 4000 rpm Help

My fiesta St has been great. I have 1,800 miles on it. Today when I got on it. It pulls until around 4000 rpm in any gear and struggles bad to get pass 4,000 rmp. It is like a huge boos leak or something. I have injen intake, levels front mount, and cobb stage 2. It has been doing fine until today. I am not sure what it is? Any help would be great. I am seeing max 2.5 psi or something crazy. I thought I would ask here first to see what i should look for before unloading map and taking it to dealer. please and thanks forum members.

OP
Z
Thread Starter #3
no Cel and the turbo has a little whine to it. not much blow off sound at all when switching gears from the intake like it has been.

OP
Z
Thread Starter #4
no spit and sputter, the car throws you back in the seat and then fall on its face at around 4000rpm and struggles to pull from there basically.

MOFiST

Checked all your clamps post turbo to throttle body? Make sure they are snug tight. 7mm socket.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Sounds like a boost leak. Check all of the clamps and let us know.

OP
Z
Thread Starter #7
I am going to check all the clamps tommorw. I think its a boost leak because of hardly any turbo sound. thanks guys.
These are all the ones I should check right. Anything else?
Connection 1 – On the back of the engine looking up from underneath, there is a connection of a rubber hose going onto the outlet of the turbo charger.
Connection 2 – The other end of that rubber pipe goes down onto a thin looking metal pipe.
Connection 3 – This is the other end of the metal pipe. From under the car these 3 are easy to access. It connects the metal pipe to the rubber hose that goes to the intercooler.
Connection 4 – This connection is on the passenger side of the intercooler (looking head on at the car) a lot harder to access without removing the fascia.
Connection 5 – This one is the driver’s side of the intercooler. It can be hard to access without removing the fascia.
Connection 6 – This connects a rubber hose coming from the driver’s side of the intercooler and goes onto a plastic pipe that heads up towards the intake.
Connection 7 – This is the other end of the plastic pipe, It goes to a short peice of rubber hose just before the throttle plate (Hard to get to will probably need a 7mm wrench, not a socket)
Connection 8 – This is directly onto the throttle body. This can be hard to get to with all the AC pipes in the way, but not too hard.

MOFiST

Yeah you sound like you got it sussed. Do you have the Levels FMIC?
That is two extra clamps as well if using the silicone elbows.
I personally use something like this but mine uses a compressor.

It makes it easier to nail a boost leak fast. But if you haven't checked them yet do them all anyway IMO.

OP
Z
Thread Starter #9
Drivers side pipe from intercooler blew off. Gotta remove bumper and tighten it down. Any advice to make sure it is super tight? Levels front mount intercooler. Thanks for the help guys.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Good ya found it are these factory or the levels clamps came loose ?

MOFiST

Just tight enough. Not over tight as those worm clamps can wreck silicone. Better to use t clamps. Again just tighten enough. Firm but not like a gorilla.

MOFiST

I remember reading somewhere you can use hairspray to create a better seal. I haven't tried this myself.

OP
Z
Thread Starter #13
Stock piping with silicone elbows that came with kit. Maybe I should upgrade piping? Or just make sure it is on super good. I just don't want it to blow off again under heavy boost.

MOFiST

Was it on tight to begin with? Try tightening it properly and you'll probably be ok. Make sure the clamp is flush against the roll bead of the coupler.

OP
Z
Thread Starter #15
I will make sure it is on good and try hairspray. Thanks mofist.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Better clamps are a good investment for the long run but get them good and tight and maybe try the hairspray trick then keep a eye on them anytime you are under the car give them a look.

OP
Z
Thread Starter #17
The kit came with 4 t bolt clamps. Anything better than that? Sorry for noob questions.

MOFiST

They sometimes vary in quality but being it's Levels they are probably good. I reckon the clamp might've just been a little bit off or not quite tight enough. Try again. We've all been there.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
The kit came with 4 t bolt clamps. Anything better than that? Sorry for noob questions.
those Tee bolt with lock nuts are a good set up just get then tight to squeeze the pipe not crush it and the nyloc nuts should hold again if you want try the hair spray it can not hurt anything and who know maybe you will look better because of the added hold :) lol