Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Boost spike upon initial acceleration

Hey guys i have an issue when I first floor my car the boost spikes between 27-28.5. After that very brief spike it drops and is normal through the range up to 7k. I have a whoosh hybrid. The spike is higher the higher the Rpms get as in me downshifting into 3rd at 4K or so and it’s spikes to about 28. It is a bit higher since it’s colder outside but even when it was warm it was still spiked to about 27.8. I’m having the assumption that my wastegate rod isn’t centered completely so the gate is having extra resistance. But it could be a boost leak somewhere which my tuner told me is a possibility, however I don’t have any other boost issues besides the spike. Any body else had this issue and what resolved it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Sounds pretty normal to me... You'll always spike on initial accel. The car is tuned off of a torque request, not a boost level (like a lot of older turbo cars). The ECU will modulate the wastegate actuator solenoid / actuator to achieve the requested torque. It may spike for a quick second as it sees your input as "request all the torques pls" and tries to make it as fast as possible, then it will open the wastegate and dump exhaust to keep the requested torque level.

OP
NateDawgST
Thread Starter #3
Ah ok thanks I wanted to be sure it wasn’t gonna put extra stress or wear on the turbo.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ah ok thanks I wanted to be sure it wasn’t gonna put extra stress or wear on the turbo.

I mean unless it just started randomly doing this and you didnt have these issues before, I'd say its normal. Send a log to your tuner and see what they say.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
From what I understand from going through the custom tuning process is that the tune may be a bit off... I was also hitting close to 28psi and my tuner adjusted it a bit so now it spikes to 26psi max. I mean, it hauled ASS when set higher, but isn't good for reliability and pushing for too high of a boost target will often just generate more heat than power at that point. I assume you have an upgraded WGA and DV, I'd just let your tuner know so he can tweak it a bit, I wouldn't want to run too long with peak hitting that high. And true that they don't tune based off of boost but by requested torque levels, so sometimes you will actually see lower boost in cold weather since it's easier to hit torque targets with lower boost when the air is colder and more dense.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I still say the brief spike is normal. But also send your tuner a log. You might not need anything changed, or you might. No one knows but them and anything we tell you is speculation.

OP
NateDawgST
Thread Starter #9
Yea that’s what I was mostly worried about, the warranty. I’ve had the issue during tuning with my tuner and they said it should just be a leak. But the car drives as hard as it should. [emoji2369]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I still say the brief spike is normal. But also send your tuner a log. You might not need anything changed, or you might. No one knows but them and anything we tell you is speculation.
Sorry, anything over 26 or so is above a hybrids rated max, that is not normal... When people say how much boost they make they always use that peak number, which is not even as directly related to power as most people think anyway. Hybrid's also already run hotter than a stock turbo, it was a good catch by the OP and the tuner will have to probably turn back WG% a bit as they are blowing past what the spring can handle most likely, which can happen as a WGA spring "breaks in"/settles.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yea that’s what I was mostly worried about, the warranty. I’ve had the issue during tuning with my tuner and they said it should just be a leak. But the car drives as hard as it should. [emoji2369]
Definitely not an actual system "leak", but probably the WGA not being able to handle the WGA% that was dialed in... which WGA/PSI did you use?

OP
NateDawgST
Thread Starter #12
I have an 11 Psi turbosmart wg

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Sorry, anything over 26 or so is above a hybrids rated max, that is not normal... When people say how much boost they make they always use that peak number, which is not even as directly related to power as most people think anyway. Hybrid's also already run hotter than a stock turbo, it was a good catch by the OP and the tuner will have to probably turn back WG% a bit as they are blowing past what the spring can handle most likely, which can happen as a WGA spring "breaks in"/settles.
Do you even have a hybrid turbo?

If you think a spike of 28psi is going to blow it, I feel you doubt the sturdiness of the parts. I also disagree with 2psi being anywhere correlated to "blowing past" the WGA spring. WGA springs should have 0 break in, they work as they are designed out of the box.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Do you even have a hybrid turbo?

If you think a spike of 28psi is going to blow it, I feel you doubt the sturdiness of the parts. I also disagree with 2psi being anywhere correlated to "blowing past" the WGA spring. WGA springs should have 0 break in, they work as they are designed out of the box.
Why does it matter if I have a hybrid or not? Sounds like you are ignoring the basic facts here, since it uses the same housing as stock but runs hotter, it's quite clear based on the manufacturer saying it themselves, over 26 psi is not good and voids the warranty... so if it's all of a sudden going above 26 and close to 28, the tune needs to be adjusted, period, regardless of the exact reasoning... something isn't right, and like I said, from custom tuning I know it happens and needs an adjustment.

CSM

1000 Post Club
The initial spike is normal to a degree. I see it more in the colder months. My tuner is able to dial it back quite a bit through the torque tables

danbfree

3000 Post Club
The initial spike is normal to a degree. I see it more in the colder months. My tuner is able to dial it back quite a bit through the torque tables
Exactly, the spike is normal up to 26.5psi, anything beyond it is too much and only hurts power by generating excess heat since you are way past it's efficiency point there... It won't blow OP's motor in 2 weeks or anything, but should be addressed for long term reliability and efficiency.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You just seem to know everything for someone who doesn’t even have an upgraded turbo. That’s all. You get the same spikes on your stock turbo. Guess you should tune that down too because warranty.

IIRC the 26.5psi is meant to be the limit of HELD boost, not momentary boost. That’s what i was getting at.

OP
NateDawgST
Thread Starter #19
I sent him an email yesterday, don’t know when he’ll get back to me tho

wetwea33

Why does it matter if I have a hybrid or not? Sounds like you are ignoring the basic facts here, since it uses the same housing as stock but runs hotter, it's quite clear based on the manufacturer saying it themselves, over 26 psi is not good and voids the warranty... so if it's all of a sudden going above 26 and close to 28, the tune needs to be adjusted, period, regardless of the exact reasoning... something isn't right, and like I said, from custom tuning I know it happens and needs an adjustment.
Dude what are you talking about. The initial spike is just the wgdc ramped up to get the boost in fast. 28psi for a moment is nothing. I ran 28-29psi sustained on my hybrid for 6k miles before I got rid of it. The 26.5 psi is just a random number they use to save their asses if someone blows their turbo. The chances of getting it replaced if it's anyrhing but premature failure is 0.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk