Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Botched exhaust install!!!!

Welp I wasn't even sure I wanted to install the catback I purchasd. Woke up this morning with a hard on for some disappointment, so I decided what the hell I'll throw it on. should be easy right just like the other cars I've installed exhausts on. Of course it wasn't easy. Got the rear section off with a sawzall, the stock hangers were a bitch to get off. Get to the downpipe, keep in mind my car is a 2019 with 3k miles.

The downpipe bolts are wayyyyyy over torqued from the factory. Pb blaster, breaker bar not budging a mm. I'm going at it for 2 hours and I end up stripping the bolt. At this point I've been under the car 2.5 hours and spent about $80 in various parts to do the install.

I'm pretty mad at myself right now, I mean this is pretty par for the course. I just said screw it and put everything back together, so now I'm rolling around with a half cut exhaust until I get it into the muffler shop tomorrow. My takeway from this; don't bother even attempting this if you don't have a lift and probably some air tools.

On the bright side it doesn't sound god awful loud and I didn't die or hurt myself🤙

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I'm sorry for your bad day. You don't need a lift. I installed my fswerks exhaust in probably a hour.
They make a tool for disconnecting exhaust hangers it works great. Before I purchased one I use to use a large flat head screwdriver.
Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
B
Thread Starter #3
I'm sorry for your bad day. You don't need a lift. I installed my fswerks exhaust in probably a hour.
They make a tool for disconnecting exhaust hangers it works great. Before I purchase one I use to use a large flat head screwdriver.
You're a luckier man than I. This is not my first rodeo, but without air tools or lift so I'd have more room for longer breaker bar this ain't happening. How did you get your downpipe bolts loose?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You're a luckier man than I. This is not my first rodeo, but without air tools or lift so I'd have more room for longer breaker bar this ain't happening. How did you get your downpipe bolts loose?
I had no issues getting them off. I used a socket and a long ratchet. It probably helps I have snap-on sockets that grip much better.
Most of us here have installed our exhaust systems on our back.
Shit happens.

OP
B
Thread Starter #7
Just to update I got everything sorted out this morning. Exhaust is on and sounds really good, well as good as 1.6 could sound. Nice and deep, zero rasp. The mishimoto resonated is supposed to be very quiet and to me there is a small amount of drone. Probably a 3 on scale to 10. It's pretty loud wide open, but not bad cruising through town. The fit was very tight with the torque solutions hangers, just a few mm of clearance on the s pipe but doesn't seem to be hitting. Finally the black tail pipes look really good imo.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Just to update I got everything sorted out this morning. Exhaust is on and sounds really good, well as good as 1.6 could sound. Nice and deep, zero rasp. The mishimoto resonated is supposed to be very quiet and to me there is a small amount of drone. Probably a 3 on scale to 10. It's pretty loud wide open, but not bad cruising through town. The fit was very tight with the torque solutions hangers, just a few mm of clearance on the s pipe but doesn't seem to be hitting. Finally the black tail pipes look really good imo.
Make sure it's not touching on the back - the torque solutions hangers always pulled my exhaust up so they touched the bumper. It was mostly noticeable when I moved the tips side to side, they'd hit the rear valance and create an opportunity for melting. If that happens you can get some little screw on doodles that prevent the hangers from sliding sideways on the hanger rods.

OP
B
Thread Starter #9
Make sure it's not touching on the back - the torque solutions hangers always pulled my exhaust up so they touched the bumper. It was mostly noticeable when I moved the tips side to side, they'd hit the rear valance and create an opportunity for melting. If that happens you can get some little screw on doodles that prevent the hangers from sliding sideways on the hanger rods.
Oh yeah, I made sure of the clearance with the tips, and it's really good. I was surprised how well it lined up. The part where it's close to touching is along the s curve under the car, a few mm from the heat shield. Those torque solutions hangers are super stiff, there's hardly any play at all. Appreciate the heads up though!

Se7eN

Just FYI, a buddy with the Mishimoto exhaust and those hangers had a issue with it melting the gas tank and he had to replace it. If and when you can try to get longer hangers, such as the new ones whoosh is coming out with. I haven't seen any others with that issue and he does beat on it a lot, but better safe then sorry.

OP
B
Thread Starter #13
Just FYI, a buddy with the Mishimoto exhaust and those hangers had a issue with it melting the gas tank and he had to replace it. If and when you can try to get longer hangers, such as the new ones whoosh is coming out with. I haven't seen any others with that issue and he does beat on it a lot, but better safe then sorry.
Holy crap. I don't know how this exhaust could melt the gas tank though, it's not actually in contact with any part of car and there is a heat shield between it. Do you know what part of his exhaust was close enough to the gas tank to do that? I hope he contacted mishimoto though because that would be some serious fitment issues and the exhaust hangers are only mm of difference. I imagine there had to be something else going on there. Thank you for heads up, ill keep an eye on it!

Se7eN

It moved quite a bit after the hangers get some use. It would contact slightly, I've looked at the underneath plenty of times in my lift and it basically broke the heat shield and melted the top part of the tank making for a gasoline leak right next to the exhaust. He caught it quick and replaced the tank promptly.

Again it might've been an isolated incident since he beats on it so much.

OP
B
Thread Starter #15
It moved quite a bit after the hangers get some use. It would contact slightly, I've looked at the underneath plenty of times in my lift and it basically broke the heat shield and melted the top part of the tank making for a gasoline leak right next to the exhaust. He caught it quick and replaced the tank promptly.

Again it might've been an isolated incident since he beats on it so much.
Damn. Thought I was all good to go lol. Welp I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe I'll go back over in a week and have them put it on the lift to see. I definitely don't beat on the car so hopefully it was isolated. I reached out to misihimoto to see what they say about fitment because I think this would still be close regardless of which mount I use.