Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

brake cooling deflector FYI

meFiSTo

This post is not so much specifically about a product for the Fiesta ST. It's a kind of tangent note about something that popped up in my FB feed.

Mountune LLC posted a note to its wall that appeared in my feed:

While deflectors might not be the ideal solutions for blowing air into the brake area, at least seeing that the RS has them was a little reassuring that my adapted 993 things are in the ballpark. They don't hit the calipers directly, but hopefully, blowing through/around/over the spinning rotors helps. I've not had any fade so far at track days and brakes have held up. Fingers crossed.

Siestarider

I had the mistaken impression from early pics that RS had front fascia vents for brake cooling. I have wondered if deflectors work as well as ducts piped from front fascia, and whether deflectors cost a little more aero performance than ducted cooling on the big end. Not as simple as just assuming deflectors add frontal area, all kinds of complicated aero things happen around front end and wheel wells.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
This is how the RS gets the air for those deflectors-

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KKaWing

Could it be from the previous generation RS then? Or maybe the ducts blow on to the deflectors [dunno]

I saw an RS on a lift and noticed and the deflectors. Then starting looking for where the air gets to them. The duct pictured above basically moves the air right into the deflectors on the leading edge of the lower control arm. It is an interesting low cost way to keep cool air moving over the rotors and calipers.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Could it be from the previous generation RS then? Or maybe the ducts blow on to the deflectors [dunno]
That's what I said, this is how the RS gets air for those deflectors.

The deflectors are being marketed to ST owners because you can pretty much sell anything in that community. I'm sure it grabs a little air but it's definitely not getting anything comparable to the RS. The FoST has an undertray along with deflectors that hang down in the path of airflow going to that area of the car.

Mountoon does good with their marketing, though. I wonder how much these actually cost when sourced from Ford directly. I would have to imagine they're significantly cheaper when sourced from Tasca or Village.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #8
That's what I said, this is how the RS gets air for those deflectors.

The deflectors are being marketed to ST owners because you can pretty much sell anything in that community. I'm sure it grabs a little air but it's definitely not getting anything comparable to the RS. The FoST has an undertray along with deflectors that hang down in the path of airflow going to that area of the car.

Mountoon does good with their marketing, though. I wonder how much these actually cost when sourced from Ford directly. I would have to imagine they're significantly cheaper when sourced from Tasca or Village.

When I had the Porsche 993 deflectors on my old SVT Focus, they seemed to collect a fair amount of air based on sitting some blowers in front of the car. This car does have the stock dam just ahead of where the deflectors are mounted to the LCAs. However, the 993 deflectors do sit a little lower, so I'm guessing they catch a bit of air (definitely the lowest thing under the car). So far, so good with regard to brake fade with the stock calipers and rotors (Stoptech teflon lines, XP8 pads and RT700 fluid). Inspecting the stuff after every track day for sure. Good point about getting the RS deflectors from Tasca!

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #10
Yes. From my build thread:

Hopefully they all show up. If not, I'll move them to smugmug. Stoopid google photos.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
THANKS!

Is there a 'discount' P-car place/online dealership type deal (Pelican, amazon, etc.) where we can get these from, or are they exclusively a walk-in and throw sacks of money on the counter at a brick and mortar Stuttgart store's parts department?

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #12
THANKS!

Is there a 'discount' P-car place/online dealership type deal (Pelican, amazon, etc.) where we can get these from, or are they exclusively a walk-in and throw sacks of money on the counter at a brick and mortar Stuttgart store's parts department?
Search was my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #14
That's the left.

The right PN: 993-341-084-00

At least, that's what I found via search and I believe those are the correct parts.

Those are the parts we modified. I believe there was trimming involve to get them to set in their correctly.

That's the left.

The right PN: 993-341-084-00

At least, that's what I found via search and I believe those are the correct parts.

Those are the parts we modified. I believe there was trimming involve to get them to set in their correctly.
Awesome and thanks for the quick response.